Tennis 2019 - Page 18 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2019

Hertsscot

How does Andy do it?

He saved five match points and came from 5-3 down in the final set to beat Lehecka to make the final in Doha. Epic comeback even by Andy's standards.

These are much-needed ranking points for him and this will be his first final since Stuttgart last year. Also this will be his fifth final in Doha - a record for tge tournament. He will play either Daniil Medvedev or Roger Allasaime in tge final.

I switched the game on earlier and Murray was 4-0 up. Watched as Lehecka improved to take the 2nd set and thought I was a curse.  

Nipped out to walk the dog with him 3-2 down in the final set and then just managed to watch tie break. 

Sensational win from him. Wasn’t the highest quality tie break to decide it but it’s great that he closed it out and especially after coming from so far behind in thr 3rd. 

Medvedev or Auger-Alliasime in the final will be a bit of a different level though. Murray says he’s feeling a good though and doesn’t seem to look too leggy so hopefully he gives it a good go. 

Every time I see Murray play I keep thinking that I need to go see him in a tourney before he chucks it.

Its such a rollercoaster watching him though, and if I watched as he lost to a low ranking guy it would be too painful to watch. 

Will need to see how he does over the next few months and maybe see if I can maybe it down to Wimbers for the Q. 

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

Every time I see Murray play I keep thinking that I need to go see him in a tourney before he chucks it.

Its such a rollercoaster watching him though, and if I watched as he lost to a low ranking guy it would be too painful to watch. 

Will need to see how he does over the next few months and maybe see if I can maybe it down to Wimbers for the Q. 

Do it, me and the Mrs have been lucky enough to see him 4 times. Saw him at the french pen by pure luck, a rain delay the previous day meant he was up on court first when we were their. Twice at the ATP and once at the US open where he lost the quarter final against wawrinka, I think that was the year he won wimbledon.

Each time we went we had not idea who would be playing on that day. Its great watching him but the whole day is a great experience IMO

44 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Do it, me and the Mrs have been lucky enough to see him 4 times. Saw him at the french pen by pure luck, a rain delay the previous day meant he was up on court first when we were their. Twice at the ATP and once at the US open where he lost the quarter final against wawrinka, I think that was the year he won wimbledon.

Each time we went we had not idea who would be playing on that day. Its great watching him but the whole day is a great experience IMO

Yeah it’s a great day out.  We’ve been down to Wimbledon 4 or 5 times now and seen some incredible matches, but like you say - the entire day at the tennis is just a great experience. We went to Rolland Garros once as well but it was nothing compared to the magic of the grounds of Wimbledon. 

We’re planning to go to the Barcelona Open this year, but I think Murray will possibly skip the clay season again unless he’s really going after ATP points. 

Really fancy a US Open but not sure whether this would be the year or not. I take it you had a great time at that? 

Edited by AlfieMoon

11 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Yeah it’s a great day out.  We’ve been down to Wimbledon 4 or 5 times now and seen some incredible matches, but like you say - the entire day at the tennis is just a great experience. We went to Rolland Garros once as well but it was nothing compared to the magic of the grounds of Wimbledon. 

We’re planning to go to the Barcelona Open this year, but I think Murray will possibly skip the clay season again unless he’s really going after ATP points. 

Really fancy a US Open but not sure whether this would be the year or not. I take it you had a great time at that? 

Totally agree re Wimbledon, it's head and shoulders above any tournament I've been to.

1. Wimbledon

2. Us Open

3. Atp finals at the o2

4. French Open

5. Queens

We got lucky and bagged tickets via the Wimbledon ballot this year for 4th round men's singles and women's singles on centre court. We've never done centre court. Done court one and two before but this will be a first on centre court

Definitely do the us Open. Tickets were relatively easy to get and like Wimbledon we could walk around the whole place seeing other matches. Between seeing Murray then djokovic we saw macenroe In the senior open.

31 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Totally agree re Wimbledon, it's head and shoulders above any tournament I've been to.

1. Wimbledon

2. Us Open

3. Atp finals at the o2

4. French Open

5. Queens

We got lucky and bagged tickets via the Wimbledon ballot this year for 4th round men's singles and women's singles on centre court. We've never done centre court. Done court one and two before but this will be a first on centre court

Definitely do the us Open. Tickets were relatively easy to get and like Wimbledon we could walk around the whole place seeing other matches. Between seeing Murray then djokovic we saw macenroe In the senior open.

Ah that’s brilliant you’ve got Centre court this time! With a bit of luck you could be seeing Murray again as well. 

We had Centre court ballot tix last year for the men’s semis, which was our carry over from the Covid cancellation. Was gutted when Nadal had to pull out the night before as him v Krygios would have been incredible. 

Glad to hear that the US Open is up there. It certainly looks great on the telly so will need to give it a go this year or next if I can. 

42 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Murray - Medvedev on at 3pm today. 

His win yesterday didn’t quite get him into top 50 due to other people picking up points in Rio. If he manages to pull off an upset today he would go from 52 to 43, or thereabouts. 

Too much sport on this weekend to handle🤣 Its six nations time so I am usually glued to every match but now Murray is on today. Murray on the big TV and Rugby on the ipad🤣

Medvedev serves it out to win 6-4 6-4. Both players not at their best but it was a competitive match and tightly contested. An encouraging tournament for Andy that must help boost confidence for him and moves up into the 50s in the rankings. He really has to try to finish matches quicker though so he gets through to big matches like these as fresh as possible.