Car Hire - France v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Car Hire

stitch

I have never hired a car abroad so not sure how it works.

Looking to hire a car at Luxembourg Airport to go to Metz and back.

has anyone done this before or doing it for this trip?

any help would be great and what sort of price would you pay. going from Friday to the Monday.

does the cost go up if you are going outside the country?

I've hired a motor from Brussells to Metz from Friday to Sunday.

Go with one of the big name rental firms. Others look cheaper at first glance but there are lots of hidden extras. Check the small print. You will have to have a credit card with a healthy balance. You have to leave a hefty deposit on your card. This remains untouched if you return the car as you found it but kicks in if any damage. My deposit will be about £900 but I have paid extra insurance which means I can claim this back if required. Tell them you are crossing the border when you pick up. It won't be a problem.

Check against mileage charges. There may be a limit for your length of rental. Try and stay under the 3 day rental. They will charge you extra if you go into a fourth day even by a couple of hours.

Finally, unless you intend to do a lot of driving, is it really worth hiring a car. Metz isn't that far from Luxembourg. You will be much cheaper getting public transport or sharing a taxi. 

Edited by Graham of Montrose
Edit

Yeh go with a proper firm and don't let them sell you extra pish at the desk.

It's usually cheaper to pickup and return to the same place.

You'll need a credit card in your name and it's a good idea to get a separate car hire excess insurance, not mandatory but good piece of mind as the excesses are usually ridiculous.