Another new car thread... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another new car thread...

starting a new job next month that comes with a car allowance. have to have a car no more than 5 years old (mine is currently 8).

i am wondering what to do. am looking for a zafira / grand picasso type car, do i go pcp, brand new bought out right or go for one 18-24 months old and renew after 3 years?

pcp appeals as you get a new car and a low monthly payment.

what are peoples experiences with pcp?

was looking at this website for deals, they are pretty attractive:

http://www.contracthireandleasing.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5Z63BRCLqqLtpc6dk7gBEiQA0OuhsNPHjOcuZgYLFozNLcF2NoB58T6_roep3Bjjbb7_HtwaAujs8P8HAQ

If you are not allowed  one more than 5 years then go lease. No point buying it I wouldn't think. Have had my car 10 years and has been paid off for 6 of them.bought a half decent one so not had any major problems with it - just maintenance. Only got 55 on the clock cos I don't use it much either which is ideal. Costs me very little now but if you have to have a fairly new one then no point doing that.

Actually quite interesting looking at the site. 

Clive will be 10 this year,so it's about time he was upgraded to a bigger car. 

Seems a good way to go about it,do you see to maintenance etc yourself with pcp? I can't be arsed reading it properly at the moment. 

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Actually quite interesting looking at the site. 

Clive will be 10 this year,so it's about time he was upgraded to a bigger car. 

Seems a good way to go about it,do you see to maintenance etc yourself with pcp? I can't be arsed reading it properly at the moment. 

Can do. Shouldn't need much/any with a new car.

All Jasmine's costs are covered (except petrol and screenwash).

Got an IX35 SE through PCP 18 months ago, £2500 down plus £1500 dealer contribution for three years.  Went into Hyundai this weekend to sort out a small issue and thought I'd ask about how much it would be to get a Tucson.  Already, the equity in the car is only £550 and even though they did a deal on an ex demo Premium (two models up but only £2000 more due to being 'used') we would have to extend the PCP by another year and still pay an extra £40 a month.  So really, the only way I can figure out that PCP can work is if you put as small deposit as possible, buy the car after the deal ends, in as short as period possible, then put that car as deposit for your next PCP.  Otherwise, you will always be having to find part of a decent deposit every time your deal ends to get smaller monthly payments.

If I thought about it more carefully we should have one the PCH route, small deposit, usually smaller monthly payments than PCP, then swap the car

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild