Hull - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hull

irnbruman

Had my first ever trip to Hull at the weekend - I'm working my way round all the Rugby League grounds - slowly.

Quite an interesting city centre to wander round - stroll down the banks of the bleak river Hull to its confluence with the Humber. I had heard there were a  lot of pubs in the Old Town - but if there are they have sure hidden them away - found a noisy old-timer's  bar - The Burlington - to watch the rugby league on TV - Wigan v Brisbane - fantastic pint of Sharp's Atlantic Ale (several).

But no real atmosphere in the city centre at night as you would expect from a big city - maybe I didn't find the right bits - lots of shops but city centre was remarkably quiet.

Drove out to Hull Kingston Rover's ground on the Sunday afternoon for the match against Wakefield Trinity - safe to say this was my first and last visit - ground is in a total shytehole of an area in East Hull not far from the docks - shit ground , poor match , lack of atmosphere from the home fans despite big crowd in the East Terrace. The club known as "The Robins" has the most embarrassing song Ive heard any fans sing "When the Red Red Robin goes hop hop hopping along"

I'll be back to Hull for another visit to watch Hull FC (the rugby league team not the football team who are known as "City") at the KC Stadium in the future.

Travel down to Hull with work and always try and avoid the City centre due to lack of restaurants or decent pubs. Prefer to stay just outside in Beverly which is much better in my opinion. The old town is busy at Weekends, but best to avoid if you are over 25. Couple of decent restaurants in West Hull near the Uni, but no hotels.