Nfl 2014/15 - Page 13 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TartanTeddy

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its nice that the Draft gives fans of the diddy teams something to get excited about.

Excellent contribution to the thread!

The draft dominates discussion of fans of EVERY team in the US, partly due to the length of the close season but mostly because it can transform a teams ability to succeed. it's actually pretty hard to understate it's importance, quite literally, only diddy fans woud think otherwise! :D

No idea who you support - Patriots I think?? - but the joy of the NFL is that every team, at some point or another, is I guess what you would describe as a 'diddy team'. No exceptions!! (and if you areindeed a Pats fan, well they used to pretty much define diddy pre Bellichick/Brady).

Any sustained position at the top end of the NFL, or indeed move to the top, has at it's core the ability to use the draft effectively - which is why it's so important. Failure to capitalise, consigns many teams to the bottom for many years, Bears post 85 are a great example of that - whic is why the main attraction of the Bears new GM was his ability at draft analysis with New Orleans. Understanding the draft is generally the key to success - one of the reasons the New England Patriots have sustained their success is that Bill Bellichick is regarded as one of the savviest on draft day - his draft day work is very well captured in the book, Patriot Reign.

Real shame if you don't get it, as most fans of the game and clubs themselves see it as one of the most importnat/exciting days of the entire season - personally I can't wait to see how it unfolds :ok:

TT

Edited by TartanTeddy

I get it, I just dont know about college football to know who to look out for.

First season of watching NFl and I'm loving it. Got a season ticket for the Wembley games and I cant wait.

Would love to go to a game in the States, but as you say, a short season, and over the winter months, so its going to be difficult.

J

Wow. I am flabbergasted that anyone would take that comment seriously. I fully understand the Draft process. If you can't have a bit of fun after winning the Superbowl, then what is the point! Calm down Teddy.

Totally calm - for those that know the game (and the college game) it's great fun to debate.

TT

I get it, I just dont know about college football to know who to look out for.

First season of watching NFl and I'm loving it. Got a season ticket for the Wembley games and I cant wait.

Would love to go to a game in the States, but as you say, a short season, and over the winter months, so its going to be difficult.

J

True, you have to follow the college game a bit to know the prospects, and to be honest, even then you still have to rely on pundits and review programmes to have any sort of insight into the depth of the draft.

Only been to one Wembley game and really enjoyed it - different feel from regular season games in the NFL, apparenty much closer to a Superbowl crowd with fans from pretty much every team. I went for the season ticket this year simply because it's value for money even for one game let alone three and Jets v Dolphins is a nice bit of interleague action. And, of course, you should get to see a few of the top ten picks in this years draft!

Draft coverage is usually very good and you'll get some pretty decent analysis of the top picks, so will give you an indication of the background of players your likely to see at Wembley.

TT

Excellent contribution to the thread!

Och let the man enjoy himself TT

He is going to have many years in the Doldrums when Tommy boy packs it in

Always happy to see the Pats trade for Cutler - we'd take a 9th round pick and a packet of Doritos - who knows maybe Bellichik could work his magic!

Anyway, hour to go...

Have a feeling that Ally Bongo's Jets and my Bears are going to go for White/Beasley or Beasley/White, though both teams have the ability to completely screw this up!! :ok:

TT

I was thinking that the Jets would go for Cooper

However rumours that the Jets may move back from 6 to possibly 10 in return for Tavon Austin from the Rams.

More likely to move down for more picks

Edited by Ally Bongo

Breaking news on ESPN that Bears in talks with Titans over number 2 pick!!

Apparently Bears wnat Cutler to be part of the deal - think the Titans told them in no uncertain terms that they didn't want Cutler - but apparently still tals going on!! Would be amazed if it happens, but exciting to think it's even being discussed.

Regards Jets - have read a huge amount on this as I'm currently stuck in butt feck nowhere - and Amari Cooper is apparently a lock for the Raiders. Leaves Kevin White as best WR in the draft (and I think he's actually a lot better than Cooper).

TT

Jets must take Leonard Williams!!

TT

Great pick for the Jets - gutted!

TT

Great pick

You should get your CV into Sky Sports TT and be there instead of Jim White

Right off to bed

Best WR on the board, surprised Bears didn't trade down for D though given the mid table strength.

Exciting pick, but wish we had got Williams and the Jets White.

TT

Great pick

You should get your CV into Sky Sports TT and be there instead of Jim White

Right off to bed

Aye sweet dreams - got yourself a diamond.

Fortunatly only 11.00 am here, so will watch for a bit

TT

Well dust has settled on the first round. Looks like everyone on here should be happy, Jets got for me potentially the best player in the draft, Bears got a great replacement for Brandon Marshall (and the Pack pick was a bit meh), the Pats got a guy who should have gone around 16 (Damn you Bellichick!) and even the fins picked up a decent prospect.

So, second round...

Some amazing talent left - and the whole question of Randy Gregory - wtf is going on there!! And picks are much more about filling in specifc needs rather than best pick available, so it gets incredibly tactical.

Two months ago the Bears were tipped in most mocks to get Landon Collins, and he's still on the board!! Randy Gregory tipped by most (and me) as recently as yesterday to go top 10, if not top 5, is still on the board (rumours abound he has suddenly become poisonous - drugs?, rape? injury? or the NFL's greatest fear - he has a consensual partner of the same sex :yikes3: - or maybe he just didn't thank god enough in his last game :D ). And there's more.... Jalen Collins, Jake Fisher, Erik Kendriks, Devin Smith - all potential or expected first rounders.

I reckon if they are still on the board Bears go for 1. Landon Collins, 2. Jake Fisher, 3. Erik Kendriks and an outside bet (or if he's the only one available Eddie Goldman at nose tackle).

Jets will go for Devin Smith, Green Beckham or best WR left on the board.

Pats sneak in to pick up Garret Grayson with the final pick of the second round and he'll end up seamlesly replacing Brady, marrying a super model, winning four back to back Superbowls and then leaves to bring peace to the Middle East (Damn you Bellichick!!).

Or indeed I could be wrong...

TT

Edited by TartanTeddy

We already have the handsome back up QB position filled! I think teams are sceptical about Gregory as it is moronic to fail a drugs test that you know is coming. I'd imagine that the JETS were delighted to get Williams.

Watched til 3 am then threw in towel. Little underwhelmed with our pick, Scherff, and it would appear I'm not alone given Williams was still available but GM says he was top of their draft board so........ Mind you, watched in the company of a Giants fan and he was even more pissed off!! :-))

Round 2 we'll have to give serious consideration to a LB, whether inside or edge rusher

We already have the handsome back up QB position filled! I think teams are sceptical about Gregory as it is moronic to fail a drugs test that you know is coming. I'd imagine that the JETS were delighted to get Williams.

It has to be more than that with Gregory as Shane Ray came off the board and also failed a drug test - and Gregory is a far better prospect - something seriously wrong there and no one is saying!

Looking forward to Rd 2

TT

TT

Sure you are not on the Jets payroll TT ?

Another great pick

TT

Sure you are not on the Jets payroll TT ?

Another great pick

Just trying to save you staying up!!

Sadly about to get on a plane for a day and a half, so your on your own for the rest of the draft

TT

Happy with the Bears picks, went best player available in the first (sure, we would have taken Williams if the Jets hadn't) and it filled a need and probably given us a player who could be a star for ten years - also another quality reciever for Cutler to try to hit.

And now, Goldman Sacks!!! Nice pick

Goldman was considered to be a round 1 pick - most had him at #23 in the first, and Nose was a massive need for the Bears. So again, best player available and in a position that we need (Bears are going from 4-3 to 3-4 this season, so positionally there was a massive gap to fill in the middle).. Pre draft, many would have said the Bears would have gone Shelton in the first and Devin Smith second but the reverse is just as good - best WR in my opinion i the draft, and probably the second/third best nose tackle.

And Randy Gregory is still there after 50 picks - someone must take the risk soon, though stuff coming out about missing meetings with team, lieing about drug use etc - but such a talent, got to be worth a punt late in the second, early third, unless it's La'el Collins bad (his girlfriend was murdered a few weeks back and although he's not accussed they are stil looking for the killer!!).

The NFL, got to love it!!

TT