Steven Fletcher - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Fletcher

Dillinger

We conceded a sloppy goal but after Fletcher missed a golden opportunity. We could go round the houses on this a number of times but the topic of the thread is S Fletcher.

In my view someone else needs to have their turn as Fletcher didn't do enough in this campaign to retain his place and have a system built around him.

Watching the Gibraltar game was pretty much a horror show for me. Sure, we won 6-0, but the number of simple chances or fantastic balls in that no one got onto was just embarrassing. Neither Martin, nor Fletcher are out and out goal scorers, they positioning and technique are lacking and we pass up so many opportunities as a result. The same can be said of Naismith, scored a couple of good goals in the campaign, but passed up many more simple chances.

I had been looking forward to us giving a run out to Rhodes and Griffiths in this game as both or them are sharper infront of goal than those currently in the shirts, but obviously we lost both to injuries. For me this is the main part of our side that we can actually change for the better. Fletcher is fine, Naismith is fine, but Fletcher and Naismith or Fletcher and Martin is just a waste of time. We have some clinical striking talent available to us, so to see the guys on the pitch constantly passing up chances has just reach the tipping point of complete frustration for me.

People talk about Feltcher's hold up play, and it is valuable in some games. For example, against Germany. But if you look at most of our chances, they don't come from his hold up play, they come from endeavour on the wings and balls coming in. For that you want a player like Rhodes who thrives on that. He has the intelligence in positioning and the awareness to get in front of players and put the ball away. To me that's what we can obviously improve on, simply by playing one or two of the players who are true goal scorers.

That's a fair point however I would say that Rhodes is more of a natural goal scorer that Fletcher and works harder. Easy to elevate those on the bench but would still say that Fletchers big chance was against Georgia and he went in with his wrong foot and didn't even look like he believed he could get there

He did that against gibralter and Ireland (I think) also.

Waited for it to try and use his left,the chance was gone.

Watching the Gibraltar game was pretty much a horror show for me. Sure, we won 6-0, but the number of simple chances or fantastic balls in that no one got onto was just embarrassing. Neither Martin, nor Fletcher are out and out goal scorers, they positioning and technique are lacking and we pass up so many opportunities as a result. The same can be said of Naismith, scored a couple of good goals in the campaign, but passed up many more simple chances.

I had been looking forward to us giving a run out to Rhodes and Griffiths in this game as both or them are sharper infront of goal than those currently in the shirts, but obviously we lost both to injuries. For me this is the main part of our side that we can actually change for the better. Fletcher is fine, Naismith is fine, but Fletcher and Naismith or Fletcher and Martin is just a waste of time. We have some clinical striking talent available to us, so to see the guys on the pitch constantly passing up chances has just reach the tipping point of complete frustration for me.

People talk about Feltcher's hold up play, and it is valuable in some games. For example, against Germany. But if you look at most of our chances, they don't come from his hold up play, they come from endeavour on the wings and balls coming in. For that you want a player like Rhodes who thrives on that. He has the intelligence in positioning and the awareness to get in front of players and put the ball away. To me that's what we can obviously improve on, simply by playing one or two of the players who are true goal scorers.

Absolutely spot on. Speed on the flanks and being clinical is what's required. Robertson who is one of the players which is the "future scotland" delivered absolute quality balls all night long and to see fletcher continually missing them was frustrating at the least, yeah Martin was there too but this is the fletcher thread... Can you trust that when we have that one chance to score when the ball flashes across the box fletcher will be there.. NO and that's the point!!! 6 goals that don't matter doesn't make this campaign and his performances a success by any means. The simple fact is he has been picked ahead of others and we are out, yes defensively we have done ourselves no favours at all but if others had started in his place would we have qualified despite that... Well that's the million dollar question.... I think so... many may agree, many may disagree but regardless that's got to be tested in friendlies going forward and not with gung ho 20 min appearances.