Uk Proxy - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I know there has been some discussion on here before about expats (the socially acceptable word for white migrants) who use UK proxies for their internet abroad. What are the good/reliable/innexpensive ones these days?

p.s. I tried searching the forum but as usual the search function is a rather lacklustre (i.e. it's sh*te).

VPNs and Hola can be a bit hit or miss.

I highly recommend Cactus VPN for their Smart DNS service.

You simply change your DNS on either your computer or ideally your router and BBC, STV, C4 etc all think you're from the UK. I even use BT Sports & Sky Go with it.

You can also change your Netflix location - I'm currently using the US one.

Your internet speed will remain at 100%. The same can't be said for VPNs which may be over-subscribed.

It's currently £17 for a year - which is much less than I paid even though I still think I got good value for the money.

VPNs and Hola can be a bit hit or miss.

I highly recommend Cactus VPN for their Smart DNS service.

You simply change your DNS on either your computer or ideally your router and BBC, STV, C4 etc all think you're from the UK. I even use BT Sports & Sky Go with it.

You can also change your Netflix location - I'm currently using the US one.

Your internet speed will remain at 100%. The same can't be said for VPNs which may be over-subscribed.

It's currently £17 for a year - which is much less than I paid even though I still think I got good value for the money.

OK, thanks for the tip! I might actually go for the smart DNS in that case.

All VPN services are inexpensive.

The industry is suffering from a race to the bottom, with many providers continuously undercutting each other to try gain market share.

Focus on getting a secure and high performing service and don't worry about price as it will be cheap as chips in any event, usually ranging between 3p-8p per day!

I previously used Astril but their UK performance dipped significantly this year, leading to me looking for a reliable alternative, currently using a decent service but still looking for something better.

Consider whether you require the service to be available on mobile, as not all providers offer mobile compatibility.

Yeah, I've been trying AirVPN recently and the service seems very reasonable. Android support a bit fiddly though in that you have to create.configure one or more fixed exit servers, where as the the Windows client is a bit more dynamic. About £5/month which some would find expensive. Depends what you are looking for though.

Difficulty is finding where football is being streamed worldwide. Any suggestions on which channels are best for live fitba? :)

You could create your own VPN service if you have a bit of technical know-how.

Buy the cheapest droplet at DigitalOcean, install VPN software (many different types depending on how secure you want it), configure and connect.

You can have your droplet in the UK so you'll get a UK IP.

Costs $5 a month and won't be oversubscribed.