Scottish Bank And Businesses To Use Or Not. - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Bank And Businesses To Use Or Not.

RBS only needs a LOLR due to the lack of effective regulation of banking in the UK.

Bailouts also have nothing to do with where a bank is registered, but where it does it's business - the exposure to iScotland and rUK remains the same regardless of where it's brass plaque is (assuming the same regulatory policy as now).

The rUK politicians will make the CU decision, not the electorate.

ETA - mentioning CU made me think: now thplinth is back, does that mean the end of thpinth? Are they one and the same? I never did manage to work it out in my head.

As previously posted banking regulation is being sorted down here. Scotlands financial regulator would be starting from scratch I take it ? whilst you may see that as an opportunity to get it right I'd pull my cash in a heartbeat until you demonstrated youd got it right and that takes time

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We get a vote in 2015. I'd wager the sensible party would put a vote on the currency union in its manifesto. we'd get one for the Euro why would a foreign country like Scotland be any different and be shooed in without asking the people ?

I agree with you in principle.

I don't think any party would put it in their manifesto, as I believe that the rUK (politicians) will want their to be a currency union, and they wouldn't want the possibility of the pesky electorate interfering in that decision.

I think they'll get around that by claiming that a CU is simply a maintenance of the situation now (where the £ is used throughout the UK), and that nothing has changed, compared to say, joining the Euro, which is the context in which a referendum has been promised in the past.

The banking regulation changes will not go nearly far enough, as the main parties are all in the pockets of the bankers.

What happens in iScotland would depend on who was elected to the first independent Parliament.

I agree with you in principle.

I don't think any party would put it in their manifesto, as I believe that the rUK (politicians) will want their to be a currency union, and they wouldn't want the possibility of the pesky electorate interfering in that decision.

I think they'll get around that by claiming that a CU is simply a maintenance of the situation now (where the £ is used throughout the UK), and that nothing has changed, compared to say, joining the Euro, which is the context in which a referendum has been promised in the past.

The banking regulation changes will not go nearly far enough, as the main parties are all in the pockets of the bankers.

What happens in iScotland would depend on who was elected to the first independent Parliament.

I work in financial regualtion and trust me the banks are getting a proper kicking as well as the smaller firms who are not systemically important but are getting caught up in the tidal wave of regulation just like the big boys. As for currency union we will see but ALL the current party leaders have said no. this close to an election they will look pretty silly lining up and saying "sorry we were wrong" Alex was right all along. We'd probalby elect Farage just to prove a point !!!

I work in financial regualtion and trust me the banks are getting a proper kicking as well as the smaller firms who are not systemically important but are getting caught up in the tidal wave of regulation just like the big boys. As for currency union we will see but ALL the current party leaders have said no. this close to an election they will look pretty silly lining up and saying "sorry we were wrong" Alex was right all along. We'd probalby elect Farage just to prove a point !!!

Nick Clegg - no increase in tuition fees.

David Cameron - no top down re-organisation of the NHS.

Ed Balls - is Ed Balls.

What makes you believe them?

If whoever's elected in 2015 announces it after the election, it would be early enough in the parliamentary term that they'd probably figure it would be forgotten by the next General Election. I don't think you're factoring in the contempt that these politicians have for the electorate.

If they really wanted to regulate the banks properly we would see the larger ones being broken up - too big to fail = too big.

Nick Clegg - no increase in tuition fees.

David Cameron - no top down re-organisation of the NHS.

Ed Balls - is Ed Balls.

What makes you believe them?

If whoever's elected in 2015 announces it after the election, it would be early enough in the parliamentary term that they'd probably figure it would be forgotten by the next General Election. I don't think you're factoring in the contempt that these politicians have for the electorate.

If they really wanted to regulate the banks properly we would see the larger ones being broken up - too big to fail = too big.

What i believe is that the Liberals are gone and are irrelevant precisely because of the Tuition fees (and jumping in bed with the tories) if just one of the remaining parties puts a vote on CU in their manifesto and the other doesnt they will also be seen as lying scumbags (i would also agree that they all are) this currency union thing is far from a done deal no matter what the good people of Scotland think. As i said i believe there will be significant change on both sides of the border post a yes vote how much change remains to be seen but saying "all that will change is that we wont be ruled by westminster scumbags and we get the best of everything" isnt strictly true. both sides have done a shit job of explaining this to the population of Scotland.

What i believe is that the Liberals are gone and are irrelevant precisely because of the Tuition fees (and jumping in bed with the tories) if just one of the remaining parties puts a vote on CU in their manifesto and the other doesnt they will also be seen as lying scumbags (i would also agree that they all are) this currency union thing is far from a done deal no matter what the good people of Scotland think. As i said i believe there will be significant change on both sides of the border post a yes vote how much change remains to be seen but saying "all that will change is that we wont be ruled by westminster scumbags and we get the best of everything" isnt strictly true. both sides have done a shit job of explaining this to the population of Scotland.

Seems fair enough.

I still don't think either side would risk putting a CU referendum in their manifesto, as I don't believe that Westminster don't want one in the event of a 'Yes' vote, and putting it in the hands of the electorate puts that at risk. Added to that you have their natural antipathy to letting us decide anything - witness the Labour party drifting ever further rightwards, thus ensuring that although we have a 'choice', theres barely a rizla between them.