Naisy - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Naisy

Squirrelhumper

Stewarton Annick were pish. I couldnae get intae the team :blush: When a' the lads that were guid players got flung oota school at 4th year theym that went tae Killie Academy for Highers were allowed tae play fitba for the school as jersey-fillers or there wis nae team :D

My youngest brother did play though. Embdy else travel on the famous Hamburg trips ? My maw & da' helped Wee Sammy run the very first one. Sammy and the majority of Weegie Immigrants intae the Bonnet Toun were superb for daen community stuff. Anyway, my wee Bro hits a legendary 20 yarder intae the German net and ma parents were at the brattie van shoving bratwursts intae their heids and missed his goal. This is early 70's. He's never let them forget it :-))

Naisy wisnae the only Stewartonian tae go professional. Derek Hamilton (David Dale Ave) played for Fergie's Dons (78-83) but only won a Scottish Cup Medal for St Mirren in 87. Hammy got games for the Dons including European games but never was a first team regular. Bad issues wae the swally. The two McCutcheon (Lothian Road) brothers both succeeded. Derek (?) played for the likes of Stranraer. His older brother (name?) got a trail for Wolves and got his leg broken in his first Reserve game. Andy Robinson (OK he was fae Dunlop) signed for Killie as a goalie. Most of them played in Mr Cunninghams school team that were Ayrshire Champions in 1974 (?) I think Sammy Campbell fae Kilmaurs fae that team was also signed as left-back by Killie. All of these guys were 70's, early 80's.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naisy wisnae the only Stewartonian tae go professional. Derek Hamilton (David Dale Ave) played for Fergie's Dons (78-83) but only won a Scottish Cup Medal for St Mirren in 87. Hammy got games for the Dons including European games but never was a first team regular. Bad issues wae the swally.

Thought he was from Kilwinning? Was in my dad's class at Irvine Royal Academy and got back in contact with him couple of years back after he moved back to the area.

Thought he was from Kilwinning? Was in my dad's class at Irvine Royal Academy and got back in contact with him couple of years back after he moved back to the area.

Think you're mistaking him with someone else, Derek Hamilton was from Stewarton and went to Stewarton High. May have been born in Kilwinning as your option back then from Stewarton was either Irvine Central or Buckreddan Maternity, I was born in Buckreddan.

Think you're mistaking him with someone else, Derek Hamilton was from Stewarton and went to Stewarton High. May have been born in Kilwinning as your option back then from Stewarton was either Irvine Central or Buckreddan Maternity, I was born in Buckreddan.

Was the guy who played for Aberdeen, as my dad went with me to football aid when I was playing, and he got chatting to Doug Rougvie and John Hewitt about him for ages.

Thought he was from Kilwinning? Was in my dad's class at Irvine Royal Academy and got back in contact with him couple of years back a

fter he moved back to the area.

The family must have moved at some point as his brother davie played football with me up the park all the time. Davie eas excellent but maybe not as fit as his brother.

Stewarton Annick were pish. I couldnae get intae the team :blush: When a' the lads that were guid players got flung oota school at 4th year theym that went tae Killie Academy for Highers were allowed tae play fitba for the school as jersey-fillers or there wis nae team :D

My youngest brother did play though. Embdy else travel on the famous Hamburg trips ? My maw & da' helped Wee Sammy run the very first one. Sammy and the majority of Weegie Immigrants intae the Bonnet Toun were superb for daen community stuff. Anyway, my wee Bro hits a legendary 20 yarder intae the German net and ma parents were at the brattie van shoving bratwursts intae their heids and missed his goal. This is early 70's. He's never let them forget it :-))

Naisy wisnae the only Stewartonian tae go professional. Derek Hamilton (David Dale Ave) played for Fergie's Dons (78-83) but only won a Scottish Cup Medal for St Mirren in 87. Hammy got games for the Dons including European games but never was a first team regular. Bad issues wae the swally. The two McCutcheon (Lothian Road) brothers both succeeded. Derek (?) played for the likes of Stranraer. His older brother (name?) got a trail for Wolves and got his leg broken in his first Reserve game. Andy Robinson (OK he was fae Dunlop) signed for Killie as a goalie. Most of them played in Mr Cunninghams school team that were Ayrshire Champions in 1974 (?) I think Sammy Campbell fae Kilmaurs fae that team was also signed as left-back by Killie. All of these guys were 70's, early 80's.

Played summer bounce games down the Vennel with both Derek Hamilton and Derek McCutcheon when they were both pros, Hammy with Aberdeen and Cutchie with Ayr or Stranraer. They both clearly "had it" but to me Cutchy looked the better player. Alec - also sadly passed on - was a prolific goal scorer at amateur level. Surprised you haven't mentioned Alan McDowall who was the stand out player of that generation, amazing he never had a pro contract.

The family must have moved at some point as his brother davie played football with me up the park all the time. Davie eas excellent but maybe not as fit as his brother.

Davie was a good player as well, but as you said, a bit too fond of the pies - he's a mate of mine, I can say that.

They're an old extended Stewarton family, James, they'll have been in the town for generations.

You have missed out the bestest ever footballer from Stewarton, the one and only Rose Reilly. She went on to play professionally in Italy. Remember she ealkrd into midnight mass one year all glammed up in a fur coat !

I can clearly remember going up the hill to the blaize the following morning and being pissed off seeing a ball in the air as it meant somebody had beat us to the top goals. It was Rose and 2 Italian teammates. We stood slack jawed as they slammed volley after volley into the goal from floated corners ! Elsie Cook was another fine ladies footballer. My wee sis trained with Elsie and made it to Killie Ladies.

You have missed out the bestest ever footballer from Stewarton, the one and only Rose Reilly. She went on to play professionally in Italy. Remember she ealkrd into midnight mass one year all glammed up in a fur coat !

I can clearly remember going up the hill to the blaize the following morning and being pissed off seeing a ball in the air as it meant somebody had beat us to the top goals. It was Rose and 2 Italian teammates. We stood slack jawed as they slammed volley after volley into the goal from floated corners ! Elsie Cook was another fine ladies footballer. My wee sis trained with Elsie and made it to Killie Ladies.

Rose captained Italy to the World Cup, Elsie was the first manager of the Scotland Woman's team, she's got some fantastic old photos on Facebook, including one of her sitting on the bench next to Puskas in 1966.

There was a story about Derek Hamilton getting pissed one night and falling asleep in his garden with a kebab in his hand. It rained all night and his mother went mental when she saw him, he woke up and ate the kebab for breakfast. Not sure if it's true or been exaggerated but mind a boy in the Arms telling us.

Rose captained Italy to the World Cup, Elsie was the first manager of the Scotland Woman's team, she's got some fantastic old photos on Facebook, including one of her sitting on the bench next to Puskas in 1966.

I had a bit of an adolescent crush on Elsie. A total stunner who was an excellent footballer..........thought that made her the perfect woman :love:

Strangely enough my beautiful wife has short dark hair..............but hates football :oops:

There was a story about Derek Hamilton getting pissed one night and falling asleep in his garden with a kebab in his hand. It rained all night and his mother went mental when she saw him, he woke up and ate the kebab for breakfast. Not sure if it's true or been exaggerated but mind a boy in the Arms telling us.

If this was in his younger footballing days he must have been out in Killie as I don't recall anywhere to get a kebab until the mid to late 80's ? Maybe I'm wrong but I left in 1985 and think it was Pioli's or Joe's in the early 80's ?

KFTF, I think you'll know the family at least, his grandfather was well known locally for his van.

Lusk ? Sibbald? Pioli ?(but he would then be Stefano Naismitimo) Dixon McGill ? Those are the names I remember but maybe another van I've bought from but not known their name. If he came round Morton Road then I would have been sent out to buy fags. I take great pleasure in reminding my Mum that nowadays she would have me taken off her for child abuse for doing that !

Never heard that one but it sounds about right.

KFTF, I think you'll know the family at least, his grandfather was well known locally for his van.

Lusk ? Sibbald? Pioli ?(but he would then be Stefano Naismitimo) Dixon McGill ? Those are the names I remember but maybe another van I've bought from but not known their name. If he came round Morton Road then I would have been sent out to buy fags. I take great pleasure in reminding my Mum that nowadays she would have me taken off her for child abuse for doing that !

Got it in two.

Wanderer: Hammy was defo fae Stewarton, born in Kilwinning. There's a Wiki article on him.

As Aaid said he went tae Stewarton High (he was a year above me). I worked in Aberdeen 1977-81 and used to see him quite a bit when he was with the Dons. Like many players of that era he'd train in the morning and was bored in the afternoons. Used to bump into him lunchtimes at the bottom of King St on his wae intae toon after trainin at the Links or Pittodrie. Loved watching him play at left-back in victories versus Rangers :ok: Really guid guy. Married, a Stewarton lassie, Joan M., who was also really nice. The swally created havoc. I think being so close to the Dons magical period and not quite getting there was hard for him. Hope he's OK now as I believe he might be back in Stewarton.

Wanderer: Hammy was defo fae Stewarton, born in Kilwinning. There's a Wiki article on him.

As Aaid said he went tae Stewarton High (he was a year above me). I worked in Aberdeen 1977-81 and used to see him quite a bit when he was with the Dons. Like many players of that era he'd train in the morning and was bored in the afternoons. Used to bump into him lunchtimes at the bottom of King St on his wae intae toon after trainin at the Links or Pittodrie. Loved watching him play at left-back in victories versus Rangers :ok: Really guid guy. Married, a Stewarton lassie, Joan M., who was also really nice. The swally created havoc. I think being so close to the Dons magical period and not quite getting there was hard for him. Hope he's OK now as I believe he might be back in Stewarton.

Going to see my Dad tomorrow night so will ask how he knows him, but it's definitely him he knew in his youth (as said, he bored Doug Rougvie and John Hewitt to death about him.... As soon as he mentioned the name both went "Jesus.... That's a name from the past!" at the same time LOL

Think he was living in Irvine for a while, but back in Stewarton now.

Edited by wanderer

aaid: Aye Sibbalds van fae Lothian Rd. George by name and his faither. FFS we're talking mid-60's intae the 70's !

KFTF - Rose was a legend right enough. Mega coverage at the time. Didn't she have a wee pal that went with her & also played in Italy ?

Extremely tenuous connection.....my eldest lad was always kickin a ba' wae Naisy when they were younger. Ma boy played for QoS U14s & U15s and Queens Park at U16s. He got a USA sports scholarship and played his adult fitba in South Carolina & Michigan. He's now a fitba coach wae a Uni in Tennessee.......right now on Eurosport Spain v Costa Rica in the wummins World Cup............Fabbi Sanchez is one of my lads mid-field players. She's on the bench right now and we're both hoping she gets on in the 2nd half. Naw. She's no fae Stewarton but she's the only NAIA player at the world cup and coached by a Stewartonian. Does this count ?

Wanderer - did I meet you in Molde then you & yer da in Perth efter a killie gemme ?

No, my dad has not been to a Scotland game in over 10 years and neither of us were in Molde (plus neither of us are Killie fans).

If it was not from school only other way I think he will know him is from Scouts, football (my old man played in same district team as Roy Aitken) or probably from The Blair when he worked in there with my aunt in his teens.

Edited by wanderer

Another Stewarton boy doing well in coaching/management is my old neighbour from Morton Rd, Ernie Merrick. He just had a really good season in charge of Wellington Phoenix in the A League and was previously at Melbourne Victory and the Hong Kong national side. Him and his brother Peter were back visiting last week and took my mum out for lunch. I then took delivery of an official EM Wellington Phoenix training top to go with my Hong Kong polo shirt :)

KFTF: Wao - did Ernie play fitba out there too as well as coaching ?

Sister called Nancy Merrick ? LOL Seriously happy flashbacks ! Her pal was Jane-Anne Purdie......Great "Gregorys Girl" type memories up at the High SCool in the summers. Happy Days !