Riga - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Riga

Donaldo87

Find myself now with a 5 hour stop in Riga due to a Ryanair flight change (you know the one where you dont find out til you check the website)

Is it worth a wee jaunt into the city (looks quite close) or should I just get tanked up in the airport lounge and hope nobody notices i've been in for more than 3 hours...

Probably not worth it...... you will go in to town and danger of cheap booze with limited amount of time is a dangerous combination

But you get to check out a city that you have never been to.

I had a similar stop over in Berlin after the Poland game. Jumped on the bus and saw some sights and then headed back to the airport.

J

A lot of the bars I recall from my last visit are long gone (Dickens Pub which was good was converted into a bank in 2009-ish), but the 2 Irish Bar in the old town are still on the go (and as Irish Bars go is a good ones) Paddy Whelans and Moloney's (IIRC Paddys was the better of the two).

Edited by wanderer

• 2 months later...

Riga airport is not all that big.

If you miss your flight due to the inbound being late (which if busy with folk going on to the Tbilisi flight, they might hold up the flight) AirBaltic are a member of Star Alliance, so will have to get you to Tbilisi due to their fault, so might find they will send you onto a Lufthansa or Austrian Airways flight to Tbilisi via Germany or Austria.

We have an hour to transfer in riga and to be honest im bricking it, also with air baltic, just hope theyre on time

They will hold the flight back as they have a duty to get you there. if there is more than a handful of passengers it will cost more to arrange other flights, busses etc then pay compensation for your delays.

Happened to me a few times where the first flight was late, they took us straight on to a shuttle bus, through a makeshift passport control and straight to waiting flight.

I'm on the Wed (night) Copenhagen to Riga flight. However my long-held understanding is that as it is the same carrier, they are duty bound to hold the Tbilisi departure. Not sure how they will respond if the flight from Cop is 70 mins late - will they then still hold the connection ?

I'm on the Wed (night) Copenhagen to Riga flight. However my long-held understanding is that as it is the same carrier, they are duty bound to hold the Tbilisi departure. Not sure how they will respond if the flight from Cop is 70 mins late - will they then still hold the connection ?

If you've bought a ticket from X to Y and they route you through Z - it's their problem if one of their flights causes you miss another.

If your inbound flight is 70 minutes late there's no danger they'll be waiting for you, UNLESS that plane is due to fly the next segment.

They won't hold the onward flight if it's 2 different carriers. Not their problem if you're late.