Ffa - Economic Growth - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ffa - Economic Growth

They need an independent group to back up their findings or they're worth hee haw!

Agree - which is why i havent copied and pasted it anywhere

It may be 100% accurate but nobody is going to believe it unless its totally unbiased

That doesnt stop the Unionist parties with the IFS though

I think the point here is that when the ifs spoke about the black hole in Scotland's finances it took absolutely no account of changes to the economy which could be brought about by FFA. This report tries to incorporate the effects of those sorts of stimulus to our economy which at the moment westminster either doesn't do or fails to do successfully. It may be overly optimistic but you can also argue that in not factoring in any potential benefits the ifs view is extremely pessimistic.

The IFS is independent though.

Sorry - It's an extremely neo liberal Independent organisation set up by the Tories

Its Independence is in no doubt - Its claim to be unbiased not so much

Edited by Ally Bongo

The one where you suggest the N56 report maybe 100% accurate?

Agree - which is why i havent copied and pasted it anywhere

It may be 100% accurate but nobody is going to believe it unless its totally unbiased

That doesnt stop the Unionist parties with the IFS though

And just to be clear - when i first read it and seen who N56 were i completely ignored it

So my point is that it MIGHT be true but even i wouldnt believe it

Edited by Ally Bongo

Fair enough, personally I don't think a proxy war via think tanks adds anything to the debate.

Totally - think someone else mentioned the saying about putting 100 economists in a room

Cmon these "experts" are wrong as often as they are right. Total waste of someone's cash. As far as I know none predicted the crash and their oil predictions were both widely varied and wrong.

Spot on. I remember reading an article about the IFS last year which highlighted how inaccurate their forecasting is. They rarely get it right.