Car Problems, Need Help! - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Car Problems, Need Help!

Decided to get me an older Honda CRV ahead of a new one next year. Have got a problem that the local garage is struggling with.

When driving last night, my satnav turned off completely and back on going back to the pin code screen, meanwhile the speedometer needle wouldnt move and the info on mpg gauge underneath went off.

The battery light came on along with the abs and vba light.

I parked up, turned off the engine, when trying to restart, car wouldnt kick in.

RAC came along and his on the spot thoughts were alternator. He followed me back to my local garage after charging the battery (he confirmed it wasnt holding charge). The car went fine for the 8 miles to the garage, although I did hear a sort of rattling/whining noise occasionally coming from the area of the timing belt/alternator.

Garage has phoned this morning, they are not sure its the alternator, they are suspecting its the battery or an earthing problem. Anyone come across this before?

A bad earth connection is a very common problem on older cars but easily fixed. It's a wee bit strange they can't tell you for certain though. It's not a difficult thing to check. Unless they are just guessing, having maybe not had time to actually look at the car yet?

he is keeping it in and getting an electrician in tomorrow should the battery not be the problem.

A sparky will suss it out in 10 minutes. My money is on a bad earth but the symptoms are similar to a dud battery. A new alternator wont be cheap.