Athens - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Athens

ScottyAlba

It's a while since I've been, but I loved it.Obviously the new Acropolis museum. The Archaeologcal museum was fabulous, and largely empty. Monastiraki was fun and safe. The coast around Vouilagmeni can offer unexpected seaside and good food. Lycabettus hill for the views. Actually, I loved all of Athens, went twice in three months.

I loved Athens. It can be a bit of a culture shock in terms of graffiti etc in some areas but it's not unlike Glasgow in that some of the outer edges of the city centre are a bit run down, and best avoided by tourists. If you stick to the main part of the city centre, but avoid the Omonia area at night, you will be fine. Plenty of people on the streets late at night enjoying food and drink, but very little (or none!) public drunk issues.

We stayed at the A for Athens hotel, just off Monastiraki Square, where the Metro station is - direct line to the airport. It was brilliant, and had a super cool rooftop bar with amazing Acropolis views. As stated above, Lycabettus Hill for the views is worthwhile, but the highlight for me was the Archeological Museum. It's very modern and design-cool and contains, well, everything you would expect ! In May, I would recommend you plan to have lunch there as part of your day - they have an outdoor terrace facing the Parthenon.

We had a great time just wandering around Monastiraki, Plaka, Syntagma areas, and that was all pushing the wee man in a 20 euro stroller ! We jumped on the wee land train for a rest half way through the first day and cos he loves trains, but it turned out to be a great thing to do from an orientation point of view. It gave us a real idea of how the city was laid out and ideas for where we wanted to walk around. Always thought these things were a bit too touristy/tacky unless you had kids, but I would do this again anywhere to get a general idea of a city.

Loved the food. Loved the people. Learn a few 'good manners' words - please, thank you, hello at least. Milate Anglika is really useful (Do you speak English ?) I have seen Greeks be really unhelpful to English speakers who make no effort, but the same people respond to milate anglika with a big smile and perfect Engish ! I suppose it's a respect thing.......

I really hope you enjoy Athens. It can come as a shock when you see the graffiti etc but give it a chance and you will find stuff to really enjoy.

I've been half a dozen times,or so. Well worth a visit.

My closest friend lived there for around 10 years, married a Greek girl and now lives in Cyprus - His suggestions are below - Hope it helps!

' On the beaten track the obvious ones are Parthenon, Acropolis and the Parthenon museum is a must. Also the old area around Parthenon called Plaka is full of bars, shops and restaurants. But watch out for pick-pockets in that area. The new Athens zoo is worth a visit although it is quite a trek from the centre out towards the airport. Worthwhile even if just for the dolphin show, but it is a very beautiful zoo. '

' Off the beaten track for seafood ask a taxi to take you to Piiraiki....(pronounce peer-ee-aye-key). Only Greeks eat there....for lamb chops and Greek meze, take a taxi to Kareas restaurants.... for the best beach Vouliagmeni. Costs about 5 euros to get in but is cleaned every morning and has a good restaurant. Alternatively the pay beach in Varkiza, but it is a bit out of town, but worth the trip even if just for the scenery on the way...In May the sea will be cold.'

' For a day trip take a ''flying dolphin'' from Piraeus port to Aegina...Beautiful island only 30 mins from Athens....if more adventurous the islands of Hydra, and Spetses are both within 90 minutes of Piraeus on the same mode of transport..'

' For football...Olympiakos stadium is called Karaiskaki and well worth a visit... it can be seen on the way to Piraeus.... keep away from GATE 7 as that is where the hooligans are.'