#Fitba150 - The First International Match - The Clans Are Gathering - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

#Fitba150 - The First International Match - The Clans Are Gathering

Bzzzz

A moment in history is celebrated today, 150 years to the days since 'Game 1' and the birth of the Tartan Army!

Click on this link to find out all you need to know about how we are celebrating this fantastic occasion  and your invitation to stand on the ground that made history:

https://hampdencollection.com/fsm-announcements

received_805734230514365.jpeg

I agree, Scotland doesn't get the recognition it deserves and not just for our own domestic or International level. I was chatting to a football mad Peruvian a few years back who was here on holiday. He could list lots of Scottish footballers, many from the 70's and 80's. Turns out he met a Scottish football coach when travelling around Australia a few years before and was impressed by his knowledge of the game. He investigated Scotland and its impact on the football world, he was shocked at how Scots basically introduced football into South America. (His words). Even he said Scotland should be recognised as the home of Football. Sorry, slightly off topic perhaps but thought it worth a mention.          

7 hours ago, lauchlan said:

I agree, Scotland doesn't get the recognition it deserves and not just for our own domestic or International level. I was chatting to a football mad Peruvian a few years back who was here on holiday. He could list lots of Scottish footballers, many from the 70's and 80's. Turns out he met a Scottish football coach when travelling around Australia a few years before and was impressed by his knowledge of the game. He investigated Scotland and its impact on the football world, he was shocked at how Scots basically introduced football into South America. (His words). Even he said Scotland should be recognised as the home of Football. Sorry, slightly off topic perhaps but thought it worth a mention.          

Not off topic at all! that's the whole point! the Scotch Professors took the Scottish game around the world hence why the birth of the modern game in Scotland is SO important!

In an ideal world, Wednesday would have been a big, big deal. I know that BBC Scotland radio covered the event quite heavily on Wednesday morning, however success would have been if the national media had paid any attention to it. I fear that despite all the efforts, not least Graeme Brown, WESTA and other parties, we may have missed the boat. It's also interesting I guess that this thread has illicited little reaction. Shame.

2 hours ago, Montrose97 said:

In an ideal world, Wednesday would have been a big, big deal. I know that BBC Scotland radio covered the event quite heavily on Wednesday morning, however success would have been if the national media had paid any attention to it. I fear that despite all the efforts, not least Graeme Brown, WESTA and other parties, we may have missed the boat. It's also interesting I guess that this thread has illicited little reaction. Shame.

It did get a lot of coverage, ALL the media were there, Sky Sports, BBC, STV etc, FIFA covered it as did UEFA, the SFA and even Japanese TV! and it's not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just the beginning, remember the SFA was founded in 1873, as well as 1st Hampden, the Scottish Cup and of course many of our fitba clubs! Plenty more to come on this we promise! 

Thanks for that reassurance. I'll keep my eyes open. I was at the Hampden Museum last Wednesday morning and made my way over to the cricket ground in the afternoon, just in time to see it all beginning to wrap up (stupidly thought it would all kick off (so to speak!) at 2.15 to coincide with the original  kick off time.) 

On 12/3/2022 at 8:56 AM, Montrose97 said:

Thanks for that reassurance. I'll keep my eyes open. I was at the Hampden Museum last Wednesday morning and made my way over to the cricket ground in the afternoon, just in time to see it all beginning to wrap up (stupidly thought it would all kick off (so to speak!) at 2.15 to coincide with the original  kick off time.) 

Keep an eye on The Hampden Collection site, #Fitba150 – The Hampden Collection , anything happening will appear there first! We're just putting together the info from the 150th and it'll be added to the list of events. 

There's a lot of work to be done to get us up there, the UNESCO bid should do it!  🤣

But PLENTY more to come from a number of different angles! 👍