Goalkeeper - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goalkeeper

Malcolm

1 hour ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Hearts fan here - Harry Stone has enormous potential and is the best keeper we've produced since Craig Gordon. League Two seems to have toughened him up and Albion Rovers' defensive record improved massively after he went on loan there.

He occasionally hesitates in communicating with his teammates but would put this down to communication which can certainly be coached with gaining experience. Strengths are very quick reflexes from close range and good with his feet. Similar mould to Allan McGregor in terms of shot-stopping.

I'd imagine he'll be out on loan in the Championship next season to a Raith/Dunfermline before competing with Gordon for first choice in 2022. Exciting prospect.

Thanks, he sounds very promising. 

12 hours ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Hearts fan here - Harry Stone has enormous potential and is the best keeper we've produced since Craig Gordon. League Two seems to have toughened him up and Albion Rovers' defensive record improved massively after he went on loan there.

He occasionally hesitates in communicating with his teammates but would put this down to communication which can certainly be coached with gaining experience. Strengths are very quick reflexes from close range and good with his feet. Similar mould to Allan McGregor in terms of shot-stopping.

I'd imagine he'll be out on loan in the Championship next season to a Raith/Dunfermline before competing with Gordon for first choice in 2022. Exciting prospect.

Hopefully he keeps developing. A goalkeeper with McGregor like reflexes, who is good with the ball would be a dream. McGregor's technique and distribution (and command of his area at crosses/corners) are weaknesses that stopped him playing at much better levels/teams than besiktas/hull.

Communication is something you do improve upon as you gain experience and confidence as you grow older. Some are obviously naturals at it but it can be hard for some young guys to shout and scream at his teammates to move and cover spaces, especially when they are older pros. It takes time and coaching.

Do Hearts still have their partnership with Raith? If so like you say it could be a very good loan for him.

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

As a hearts fan what did you think of McLaughlin? As far as I can see he did OK in all his Rangers games and personally I have no faith in Gordon or Marshall

I have been very happy with him at Rangers. He doesn't have the worldie save in him like McGregor but he is a much more rounded keeper than McGregor. Tbh McLaughlin is a pretty decent shot stopper, it's just McGregor will perform saves you can't believe at times.

He is Good on the ball and has impressive all round distribution. He is also confident with Crosses and corners.

I do believe McLaughlin set the consecutive clean sheet record when McGregor was injured for the first 8-10 games. Which is no mean feat.

I'd be amazed if he gets any gametime in the summer. Which is completely understand given he hasn't played a great deal since October. 

I do however think there is a very good chance in the 22/23 McLaughlin could become both Rangers and Scotland number 1

1. McGregor will most likely retire and I think McLaughlin will be given a chance (maybe just as a stop gap) to be number 1.

2. Marshall will be 37 and Gordon will be 39. We don't know if they'll definitely still be playing let alone playing international football and how their body's will hold up. If Gordon and/or Marshall are still playing then it would come down to who is playing better if all 3 are first choice.

3. At this second it doesn't look like anyone else will be anywhere near ready to take over from Marshall/Gordon. I think McLaughlin would just be a stop gap for a campaign or so, until someone else hopefully comes through.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart