Rod The Mod - Wembley 1977 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rod The Mod - Wembley 1977

Martin63

Genuine photo - He was in the main stand until half time when he actually got down onto the track and I saw him run over into the terracing behind the goals (where McQueen had scored first goal) where it was entirely Scotland fans (as was most of the ground) Crowd were singing his song 'We are sailing' continuously and it all got too much for him. At full time I think he was dragged on by other supporters although I don't think he minded too much! Photo has been published quite a few times in the past - just not lately!

One of the best atmospheres I have ever experienced at any match, great day :ok::sing::cheers3:

Edited by j b lyons

He had a room at The Esso Motor Hotel where we were also staying. This was in the days of the old works Wembley clubs where you saved up for the two years between games, happy days !!

Anyway, before the game the hotel had set up a bar in one of the function rooms which as you can imagine was getting well used when Rod came in with Britt Eckland and proceeded to join in with the fans. He later went back to his room inviting a few of the lads with him for more refreshments, IIRC Ms Eckland wasn't too enamoured with that decision and had a face like thunder, mind you I suppose taking a shower of half gased strangers back to her room maybe wasn't the smartest thing Rod's ever done so she probably had a point !

Anyway, before the game the hotel had set up a bar in one of the function rooms which as you can imagine was getting well used when Rod came in with Britt Eckland and proceeded to join in with the fans. He later went back to his room inviting a few of the lads with him for more refreshments, IIRC Ms Eckland wasn't too enamoured with that decision and had a face like thunder, mind you I suppose taking a shower of half gased strangers back to her room maybe wasn't the smartest thing Rod's ever done so she probably had a point !

:lol: Funnily enough they split up a couple of months later...