Beware of pickpockets - Belgium v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Beware of pickpockets

dandydunn

If it’s your first time in Brussels, be very wary of hot women wanting to talk to you in the street and asking to touch your kilt or sporran. They’re trying to get an idea of where your wallet is and tip off the heavies that will have no issues grabbing it off of you. They tried it with me, but I was wary with it and we were walking in a group of 3 or 4, so they never got a real chance, but there was several in 2012 that werent so lucky, they also have no qualms about giving out a slap for your troubles too. 

Try and stick in groups and don’t be walking alone at night, they’re horrible cunts. 

7 hours ago, dandydunn said:

If it’s your first time in Brussels, be very wary of hot women wanting to talk to you in the street and asking to touch your kilt or sporran. They’re trying to get an idea of where your wallet is and tip off the heavies that will have no issues grabbing it off of you. They tried it with me, but I was wary with it and we were walking in a group of 3 or 4, so they never got a real chance, but there was several in 2012 that werent so lucky, they also have no qualms about giving out a slap for your troubles too. 

Try and stick in groups and don’t be walking alone at night, they’re horrible cunts. 

That's why as a single traveller i wanted to know where other TAs were staying. My not-bad French wouldn't help!

Been twice and each time have been warned to stay away from the Arab quarters. The police even told us last time that they weren’t nice people

I was speaking to a couple last time and they got caught up in a taxi war. Two rival companies vying for punters and one tear gassed the other while two Scotland fans were in the back

14 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Never had a problem there but I have heard a lot of horror stories and I’m always a bit on edge, especially on the metro. 

All good advice.

Each time I go to Brussels it seems more and more dangerous.

More than a few people were pickpocketed in 2012 and there is no reason to believe things have improved.

Was walking back to my hotel in the early hours when I sensed a presence. I looked down and noticed my camera on the ground next to a nervous Arab looking kid who was well past his bed time.

He then took off like a shot as I retrieved my camera which he had somehow removed from my pocket before dropping.

Inevitably there will be a few TA who lose phones etc, and although you could say that applies to  most places, I fear this will be a high number.

Will probably leave my phone in the hotel on a couple of nights rather than take the risk - once bitten and all that.