Cancelling The Bbc Tv Tax - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cancelling The Bbc Tv Tax

Buggar, I've just filled in the 'I don't need a licence' form but that says I need it to watch any live TV. But surely if all the other channels have adverts and get hee haw from the proceeds of licence fees then they must be exempt? I didn't have a licence for years but then let a more law abiding person talk me into it. Don't know who's the bigger bampot, me for doing it or them for insisting I needed it.

That's the rub. As I understand it (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the licence fee goes to the BBC but the rules on live TV apply to all channels.

That's the rub. As I understand it (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the licence fee goes to the BBC but the rules on live TV apply to all channels.

I'm correcting you.

(I have nothing to back up this correction but doing it all the same as if it all goes wrong I'll use this as my defence in court. I fully expect you to come in full wig and gown to defend me.)

I know someone who is a BBC licence officer. They are paid a commission for each dodger they catch. From the info he has told me they can only enter your house if they are with a police officer with a warrant to enter. This is something they often will be reluctant to go down the road of because it takes time, resources and money to take someone to court.

He also said that if you get a visit from them and you do let them in voluntarily they will ask you to turn your telly on (if it isn;t already). If it doesn't start up on a screen geared towards catch-up or some other non-licensed use, they have you. Most TVs are set to start up on the last channel that was watched, so be careful.

He also said that if they catch you they will not press to prosecute immediately, rather give you the opportunity to sign forms to buy a licence there and then. (this apparently speeds up their commissions) :-))

He suggested always having a form half filled in with your name and address to hand, which shows you 'intend' to buy a licence, which apparently absolves you from the intent to dodge.

I asked about the situation with barring them from your doorstep/garden etc. In Scotland there is technically no law of tresspass - so just one to watch out for.

He also said that if you get a visit from them and you do let them in voluntarily they will ask you to turn your telly on (if it isn;t already). If it doesn't start up on a screen geared towards catch-up or some other non-licensed use, they have you. Most TVs are set to start up on the last channel that was watched, so be careful.

I asked about the situation with barring them from your doorstep/garden etc. In Scotland there is technically no law of tresspass - so just one to watch out for.

What is non licenced use, is that C4, STV, etc? My TV has now been retuned and I can't receive any BBC channels, apart from radio but think that's okay?