What Routes Are People Taking? - Page 2 - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What Routes Are People Taking?

wanderer

I've pencilled in arriving on the ~4am flight from Heathrow, then leaving on the midnight train 3 days later, so this is good to hear :ok:

Although, as far as I'm aware, the Russian SPL will still be in full swing when I'm there, so one evening (day?) will be getting used up.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've pencilled in arriving on the ~4am flight from Heathrow, then leaving on the midnight train 3 days later, so this is good to hear :ok:

Although, as far as I'm aware, the Russian SPL will still be in full swing when I'm there, so one evening (day?) will be getting used up.

As I arrive in Kyiv on the Friday I have a Dynamo Kyiv planned for the Saturday, so like yourself I have a bit of my time used up also :-))

Aye, I had a look at a few websites, and most have said that if you make the most of it, 3 days will allow you to see/do everything you want to.

Agree with that, but well worth doing your research.

3rd morning I was sitting in the hotel flicking through the guide book trying to find something to do and stumbled across the open air war museum, which took a full day to do.

Also takes a full day to get around to see the football stadium.... they are spread out all over the place, so great chance to use and see the metro system (went to see Lenzinski Stadium, Dynamo Stadium, Torpedos old ground and Lokomotivs old stadium.... only the Torpedo Stadium you would classify as central).

My plan is to fly out LHR-Moscow on the Saturday, arriving mid-afternoon; then have Sunday-Tuesday full days in Moscow before heading to Tblisi on the Wednesday. Head somewhere else the day after the game (either Yerevan or Kyiv now, I think), before flying to Glasgow on the Sunday in time for the Germany game on the Monday.

I really fancy Yerevan, but I'm struggling for routes back to the UK that are reasonably priced.

My plan is to fly out LHR-Moscow on the Saturday, arriving mid-afternoon; then have Sunday-Tuesday full days in Moscow before heading to Tblisi on the Wednesday. Head somewhere else the day after the game (either Yerevan or Kyiv now, I think), before flying to Glasgow on the Sunday in time for the Germany game on the Monday.

I really fancy Yerevan, but I'm struggling for routes back to the UK that are reasonably priced.

We looked at Yeravan on the way back too Dave, but couldn't find anything decent at all so just went with Turkish.

We looked at Yeravan on the way back too Dave, but couldn't find anything decent at all so just went with Turkish.

I've changed my mind again...

LHR-Moscow then 3 days there

Moscow-Yerevan then 1 or 2 days there

Yerevan-Tbilisi (bus), 2 days there

Tbilisi-Kiev, 1 day there

Kiev-LHR

Already can't wait!

I've changed my mind again...

LHR-Moscow then 3 days there

Moscow-Yerevan then 1 or 2 days there

Yerevan-Tbilisi (bus), 2 days there

Tbilisi-Kiev, 1 day there

Kiev-LHR

Already can't wait!

That's a sweet route! Very impressive.

I'm settling for 4 days in Istanbul, 4 days in Tbilisi (with a day trip to Armenia).

Out Tuesday 1st Aberdeen - Amsterdam - Kiev - Tbilsi - and same route back Sat 5th = A very reasonable 310 pound

Aye there is some good prices just now. I got booked up last week , Was going to do that route but could not resist,Oot Mon, London Stan - Katowice (Ryanair), Katowice - Kutaisi (Wizz) arrive 04.45 tues, Stay there until the midday train to Tbilisi Wed, arrive 6ish. Back Sat morning, Air Baltic to Lon Gatwick, via riga. Flights when booked £70 quid there and £110 back. will sort out the old overnight megabus from Guild street nearer the time.

8 off us booked up Turkish airlines

Tuesday 1st sept Edinburgh - Istanbul 16:05-22:25

Wednesday 2nd September Istanbul -Tblisi 13:10-16:25

Saturday 5th September Tbilisi- Istanbul 11:20-12:50

Sunday 6th September Istanbul- Edinburgh 12:35-15:05

So going to have a whole day in Istanbul on the Saturday

Aye there is some good prices just now. I got booked up last week , Was going to do that route but could not resist,Oot Mon, London Stan - Katowice (Ryanair), Katowice - Kutaisi (Wizz) arrive 04.45 tues, Stay there until the midday train to Tbilisi Wed, arrive 6ish. Back Sat morning, Air Baltic to Lon Gatwick, via riga. Flights when booked £70 quid there and £110 back. will sort out the old overnight megabus from Guild street nearer the time.

Superb itinerary.

There are cheap routes to be found if inventive, have the time and willing to throw in a train/bus.

8 off us booked up Turkish airlines

Tuesday 1st sept Edinburgh - Istanbul 16:05-22:25

Wednesday 2nd September Istanbul -Tblisi 13:10-16:25

Saturday 5th September Tbilisi- Istanbul 11:20-12:50

Sunday 6th September Istanbul- Edinburgh 12:35-15:05

So going to have a whole day in Istanbul on the Saturday

aye a few folk on these flights including me. Wonder if we will get the free hotels as we have over a 10 hour wait till our connection, we did for macedonia

aye a few folk on these flights including me. Wonder if we will get the free hotels as we have over a 10 hour wait till our connection, we did for macedonia

dont think so as there is earlier connecting flights that people could have got. would be have been nice tho.

Think folk have said elsewhere that you do not qualify, as there is a flight within the 10 hour period that can take you to Tbilisi, and if you pick a later flight then you are choosing to stay longer in Istanbul and thus do not qualify for the free hotel.

Good route, but maybe worth asking your hotel in Tbilisi to cost a transfer from Kutaisi to Tblisi? Not sure what the place is like, but doubt I would like to be hanging around a provincial city at the crack of dawn waiting for a train 6 hours later.

We're doing the 1605 on the 1st from Edinburgh but pushing on at 0010 arriving 0320 in Tbilisi , Leaving sunday 6th for 0415 to Istanbul , 0545 to Edinburgh arriving 1050 am . Crap times but only £315 a skull when we booked

Superb itinerary.

There are cheap routes to be found if inventive, have the time and willing to throw in a train/bus.

Good route, but maybe worth asking your hotel in Tbilisi to cost a transfer from Kutaisi to Tblisi? Not sure what the place is like, but doubt I would like to be hanging around a provincial city at the crack of dawn waiting for a train 6 hours later.

Aye cheers, looking forward to returning after 8 years.

Never been to Kutaisi, never even heard of it prior to checking flights !! Sorry not clear in first post but arrive tues morning in Kutaisi and staying over in Sun Hostel. Check in 9 am. Train to Tbilisi wed afternoon. Staying in old town. la's homestay. Going on me tod just now so if anyone fancies this route give us a buzz.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ge/sun-hostel.html

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ge/ia-s-hotemstay.en-gb.html?aid=357028;label=bin859jc-hotel-XX-ge-sunNhostel-nobrand-gb-com-L%3Aen-O%3Aunk-B%3Aunk-N%3AXX-S%3Abo;sid=e7df8b4cf4c09527d9e9ed233c42bbe6;dcid=4

Edited by Chisel2

Never been to Kutaisi, never even heard of it prior to checking flights !! Sorry not clear in first post but arrive tues morning in Kutaisi and staying over in Sun Hostel. Check in 9 am. Train to Tbilisi wed afternoon. Staying in old town. la's homestay. Going on me tod just now so if anyone fancies this route give us a buzz.

Ok, looks a nice place :ok:

I could have got a wizz flight there from Ukraine (Lviv as its only 2 hours from my in-laws) but been reports that Wizz are all set to pull out of Ukraine, so went with the safer Ukrainian Airlines option, and take in Yerevan instead.

Changed my plans again but decided to take the leap of faith and get fully booked up.

2nd Sept - Heathrow - Kiev with British Airways

3rd Sept - Kiev - Tbilisi with Ukraine International

5th Sept - Tbilisi - Kiev with Ukraine

6th Sept - Kiev - Heathrow with BA

I have paid £276 for the 4 flights but hopefully get £20 back through Quidco.

Staying at the Raziotel in Kiev which has a free shuttle to the airport and free breakfast. Cost is about £33 per night.

Staying at the Raziotel in Kiev which has a free shuttle to the airport and free breakfast. Cost is about £33 per night.

How long are you between flights?

There is really very little in terms of life near the airport and in that area of the city.

I have booked a apartment (KievInn) right on independence square for buttons in the heart of the city (bus from Airport to City is only something like £5).

Arrive in Kiev on the 2nd at 14:55 and fly to Tbilisi on the 3rd at 12:10.

On the 5th, land in Kiev at 18:20 before flying back to Heathrow on the 6th at 15:55.

It means I'm not rushing around and will have a bit of time to myself as I'll probably be travelling solo!

We've gone for pretty pricey flights. Just booked yesterday and it cost me £360 return.

Aberdeen to Amsterdam, meeting my mate there, then on to Kiev and finally Tbilisi. All on KLM. Same route for the return.

Really looking forward to it. This is a country I'd never otherwise have visited so it's a good wee box ticker!