Shingles - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My brother had it twice, although one of the times might have been a misdiagnosis.

Now i only did a few electives in biological sciences during an undergrad but everybody is different, no statements are absolutes and it's mostly vast majorities.

People getting it twice has happened and been documented. Especially for immunocompetent persons.

Here's a nice paper on it, GMC and Kirk don't try and sell your blood yet it's not as rare as some people think.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/surv-manual/chpt17-varicella.html

Here's the sources for multiple chicken pox cases.

Hall S, Maupin T, Seward J, Jumaan AO, Peterson C, Goldman G, et al. Second varicella infections: are they more common than previously thought? Pediatrics 2002;109:1068-73.

Junker AK, Angus E, Thomas EE. Recurrent varicella-zoster virus infections in apparently immunocompetent children. Pediatr Infect Dis 1991;10:569-75.

No ma blood haha jst someone I know. I've never had either.

I did say feel better Mindi.

My brother had it twice, although one of the times might have been a misdiagnosis.

Now i only did a few electives in biological sciences during an undergrad but everybody is different, no statements are absolutes and it's mostly vast majorities.

People getting it twice has happened and been documented. Especially for immunocompetent persons.

Here's a nice paper on it, GMC and Kirk don't try and sell your blood yet it's not as rare as some people think.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/surv-manual/chpt17-varicella.html

Here's the sources for multiple chicken pox cases.

Hall S, Maupin T, Seward J, Jumaan AO, Peterson C, Goldman G, et al. Second varicella infections: are they more common than previously thought? Pediatrics 2002;109:1068-73.

Junker AK, Angus E, Thomas EE. Recurrent varicella-zoster virus infections in apparently immunocompetent children. Pediatr Infect Dis 1991;10:569-75.

Good information

Confirms to catch it twice your immune system has to be not fully developed the first time you caught it (apparently immunocompetent children)

Immune systems that are not fully developed arises in newborn and very young children.

Thats why catching it twice is extremely rare - You would need to catch it the first time in these circumstances

Good information

Confirms to catch it twice your immune system has to be not fully developed the first time you caught it (apparently immunocompetent children)

Immune systems that are not fully developed arises in newborn and very young children.

Thats why catching it twice is extremely rare - You would need to catch it the first time in these circumstances

What would be the danger of not having either so far in well, say mid 40's. Only asking fer a friend Haha!!

What would be the danger of not having either so far in well, say mid 40's. Only asking fer a friend Haha!!

Far more serious mate - same with them all (Mumps for example)

However you should make a full recovery from it unless you have other serious health issues

It's common for adults who develop it to have lung problems like pneumonia

Its far more dangerous to adult women who are pregnant

Thats why you hear stories particularly from your old dears about in the past deliberately trying to get their kids infected when there was an outbreak :-))

Edited by Ally Bongo

Far more serious mate - same with them all (Mumps for example)

However you should make a full recovery from it unless you have other serious health issues

It's common for adults who develop it to have lung problems like pneumonia

Its far more dangerous to adult women who are pregnant

Feck, I'm going to have to do some research noon. Hope ye feel better soon Mindimoo Edited by RETRO

Good information

immunocompetent means a normal immune system not undeveloped or that.

I may be picking you up wrong though, as i'm fecking knackered not slept in ages.

Edited by phart

immunocompetent means a normal immune system not undeveloped or that.

I may be picking you up wrong though, as i'm fecking knackered not slept in ages.

Yes - children with apparently normal immune systems

Thats why i highlighted apparently as clearly they werent

Would need to have a look more into those reports to be honest & when they were carried out

The rule of thumb however is that you cant catch it twice - you need to be really special !!

Edited by Ally Bongo