Ed Millibland Thinks We're Buttoned Up The Back - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ed Millibland Thinks We're Buttoned Up The Back

I think everyone is forgetting that the Tories will win the election regardless of what the polls say just now ...and you can keep this post as well ...so is all moot

I think a Tory majority is highly unlikely, but yes the possibility is there.

Apologies, my above post is nonsense, I had it in my head that opposition is given first chance to create a coalition, but it's the opposite with the incumbent government first attempt.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies, my above post is nonsense, I had it in my head that opposition is given first chance to create a coalition, but it's the opposite with the incumbent government first attempt.

I know it is almost herecy and there is no way that the SNP would back a Tory minority Government but if Independence is the be all and end all then ...................................................

I know it is almost herecy and there is no way that the SNP would back a Tory minority Government but if Independence is the be all and end all then ...................................................

It would be political suicide... But the seethe on here would be outstanding :lol:

That's not true is it? I thought it was the largest party that was given first go at creating a coalition? Like everything else though, none of this is written down is it? Just some wishy washy traditions, with any dispute resolved by seeing which way Black Rod's kn*b is hanging on any particular day. ;)

That's not true is it? I thought it was the largest party that was given first go at creating a coalition? Like everything else though, none of this is written down is it? Just some wishy washy traditions, with any dispute resolved by seeing which way Black Rod's kn*b is hanging on any particular day. ;)

It is true, but as you say nothing is set in stone. Tradition seemingly dictates that the incumbent government gets first go to make pals.

It is true, but as you say nothing is set in stone. Tradition seemingly dictates that the incumbent government gets first go to make pals.

But that's not what happened in 2010 was it? The Liberal Democrats opened talks with both but indicated preference toward the Tories as they were largest party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_United_Kingdom_government_formation

But that's not what happened in 2010 was it? The Liberal Democrats opened talks with both but indicated preference toward the Tories as they were largest party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_United_Kingdom_government_formation

Government guidelines also state that MP's can't pair on matters of importance. They're a law unto themselves.

Sure. But I guess Im curious what tradition you are talking about when it comes to forming government from position of no majority?

Tis on the Commons website comrade :ok: But as you say it's open to interpretation and the site does outline a number of positions, with the below being "Traditional position".

9. The question of who has the first opportunity to form a government is subject to differing views. The traditional position is that "the constitutional conventions on government formation (including in situations of a hung Parliament) were and are, firstly, that the incumbent Prime Minister has the first opportunity to continue in office and form an administration"

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmselect/cmpolcon/528/52805.htm

Tis on the Commons website comrade :ok: But as you say it's open to interpretation and the site does outline a number of positions, with the below being "Traditional position".

9. The question of who has the first opportunity to form a government is subject to differing views. The traditional position is that "the constitutional conventions on government formation (including in situations of a hung Parliament) were and are, firstly, that the incumbent Prime Minister has the first opportunity to continue in office and form an administration"

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmselect/cmpolcon/528/52805.htm

Interesting. Hadn't seen that before. Cheers. :ok: