Travel options for game - Page 2 - Scotland v Hungary - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Travel options for game

The thing that jumps out to me on that screen-shot is the different types of trains......... ICE, IRE, RE, IC

ICE = INTERCITY EXPRESS ?

IC = INTERCITY ?

I suspect IRE and RE are regional trains.   

Maybe they are not bookable (or not yet).

Maybe the German TA can clarify.

4 hours ago, Komodo said:

Cheers for that, I see some of these can't be booked on the website. Is it a case of the tickets come available nearer the time? Or rock up at the station and hope you get on? 

All interregional trains should be bookable. Regional trains may not be bookable that early. For interregional I would not show up at station but book in advance. Booking on train is most expensive way.

4 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

The thing that jumps out to me on that screen-shot is the different types of trains......... ICE, IRE, RE, IC

ICE = INTERCITY EXPRESS ?

IC = INTERCITY ?

I suspect IRE and RE are regional trains.   

Maybe they are not bookable (or not yet).

Maybe the German TA can clarify.

IRE = Interregio train so interregional.

9 hours ago, Komodo said:

Is anyone staying in Karlsruhe for the match? We are flying into Paris on the 20th, night out there and then catching the direct train to Karlsruhe on the 21st. Fly home from Paris on the 25th.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be trains back from Stuttgart to Karlsruhe after the match? saw one advertised at 11 but no chance of making that.

Few of us there..Come down from Bonn area on Sat 22nd till Mon 24th...loads of train after midnight from Stuttgart.....you can book on trainline £16 ..02.20 takes an hr...

On 12/8/2023 at 6:39 PM, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

What flights are people using to get to this game?

For family reasons I am having to come back after Germany game (which ive already booked) but looking to go back out for Hungary for couple of days.

As expected flights are very expensive. Best found so far is Newcastle to Frankfurt Sat to Mon for £400.

Should have booked up earlier but after watching Scotland fukk up for last 20 years didnt want to jinx us!

£69 Direct London to Munich , train takes 2hrs to Stuttgart £23 on Stuttgart 1pm..luthansa so decent bag included...Stay in Karlsrhu..decent prices..you can fly from Basel.straight forward train direct, easy to airport..fly back to london £40 or pull all nighter Basel Edinburgh direct £60....06.20....

Edited by The Bunnet

• 3 weeks later...

Yep staying In Karlsruhe after the game as flying out of Karlsruhe - Baden Baden the next morning. Trains look to run pretty late through the night and Stuttgart only an hour away.    

Edited by Istassin