Seedings for Euro 2024 Draw - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Seedings for Euro 2024 Draw

Caledonian Craig

With the draw for the Euro 2024 Qualifiers coming up in October I know Scotland are now knocking on the door of the second seeds. With a solid run of Nations League results in June that could very well be enough to get us into Pot 2. That would be a massive boost to our qualification hopes. 

Even if we only get an average set of results we could benefit by Russia's probable expulsion from the tournament. Russia are currently in Pot 2 I do believe.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I know that but what happens if (as is likely) Russia are banned. Russia are, I believe assured a second seeding.

Why are they assured a second pot seeding? They could loose all their games and end up bottom of the group. But as you say, they will probably get kicked out and one of the other teams will win the group. I'm not sure what your point is here?

If Russia are allowed into qualifying for Euro 2024 then they will either be the bottom team of league B (pot 4) or bottom of the entire competition  (Pot 6).  This presupposes they will not be allowed to play in the Nations League.

22 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

If Russia are allowed into qualifying for Euro 2024 then they will either be the bottom team of league B (pot 4) or bottom of the entire competition  (Pot 6).  This presupposes they will not be allowed to play in the Nations League.

If they don't play in the Nations League they would be the top team in pot 4. If they are allowed into Euro24 at all, that is. 

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Why are they assured a second pot seeding? They could loose all their games and end up bottom of the group. But as you say, they will probably get kicked out and one of the other teams will win the group. I'm not sure what your point is here?

The point is Russia are guaranteed now not to be in pot 2 seeds for Euro qualifiers enhancing our chances of being in pot 2.

8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The point is Russia are guaranteed now not to be in pot 2 seeds for Euro qualifiers enhancing our chances of being in pot 2.

Dont know if it enhances our chances that much.  The chances of Iceland,  Israel and Albania being in pot 2 are much increased though and would be decent draws to get if we dont make pot 2.

Edited by sjd1972

5 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

Dont know if it enhances our chances that much.  The chances of Iceland,  Israel and Albania being in pot 2 are much increased though and would be decent draws to get if we dont make pot 2.

Aye, it doesn't make any difference to whether we win our group or not. We still need to be better than Ukraine (if they play?), Ireland and Armenia.

So that only leaves the best runner up spot to think about. We can't know whether Russia not playing is a benefit or not, until we know how they are going to sort out that group. They might decide to give every team in  group 2 two 3-0 wins against Russia. They might decide to discount the results against the bottom placed team in each of groups 1, 3 and 4? Who knows what they will decide?