Gyor (Hungary) Sunday. - Slovakia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gyor (Hungary) Sunday.

WeeJohnny

This place is really pretty (on the Danube), nice places to see, big town square, interesting architecture, friendly, good bars and places to eat. But most importantly the BEER IS REALLY CHEAP ! (last year it was 80p a pint so say a £ now). It is 1 hr by train from Vienna and 1 hr by road from Bratislava. I stumbled across it last year breaking a journey to Budapest. It was fantastic.  The locals were really friendly. If you want lots of English speaking people and lots of tourists forget here ! The students (there is a college on tourism near) want to practice their English so loved talking to Scots. Cant recommend it enough. My pals and I meet in Vienna Saturday morning. Staying over Saturday night (one night in Vienna is more than enough for me) and taking the 11.42 train Sunday morning Vienna to Gyor (time for hangover to subside). Then cheap taxi / mini bus to Bratislava Sunday evening. Anyone at a loose end on Sunday and fancies a small detour on way to Bratislava and "tick off" Hungary more than welcome to join us. If anyone interested let me know and will vary transport numbers on Sunday evening but no need for any "commitment" as it is so cheap.