Slow cable broadband - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slow cable broadband

OK it folk looking for help on here before I have a heated discussion with virgin over my broadband speed. Basically I opted for the big kahuna package with virgin such comes with a 200 mgb/s broadband. Now I know the chances of getting 200 are next to f all but I would think it reasonable to assume that I would be getting between 150 and 175 mgb/s but when I check I only get between 30 and 50 mgb/s. Before you ask no I don't use Wi-Fi I run a 300mgb power line and I have made sure the motherboard can take the speed and all drivers are updated 

I have been thinking of doing a fresh install on my PC but would this help or not. 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Virgin have had some problems over the weekend. I had intermittent connectivity on Fri and Saturday

Should check the status issue first etc

https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status

Cheers but this is an on going issue since I got virgin last month. Been that busy I'm just now getting round to looking at the problem

Virgin use cable/fibre optic.   When they say 200mbs, that's what you'll get unless there is a fault on the line.

It's not like ADSL which is dependent on how far you are from the exchange. 

Your problem is with the powerline.  You won't ever get 300mbps.  You'll be lucky to get 100mb on it. 

Also make sure your ethernet card is 1Gbps capable.   Having a 10/100 will likely slow you down also (even if you do achieve 100+ on the powerline). 

We got speeds up to 92Mbps but the house average was 68Mbps using Powerline and ethernet.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/powerline-adapters/tp-link-300mbps-av500-wifi-powerline-extender-review-3491664/

yup powerline was the bottleneck. previous owner had installed a second cable from the outside box to the room where my pc is so tried plugging the modem into that and hey presto a ping of 16 dl of 209 and an ul of 12. that will do nicely just hope i can get the wifi downstairs now lol