Birmingham - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Birmingham

scot scotland scottish

Got a couple of 4 day long work trips down there in Jan and Feb. Staying in the New Street station area. Will be on my tod - anyone recommend any good bars and restaurants walkable from my digs. (I was there last year too and found the Brewdog bar which I liked a lot so will be in there once or twice, but would like to find somewhere else too)

I was there just last Saturday (won 2-0 :ok: ) & have had a couple or work trips there of late.

Our pre-match pint was here http://www.anchorinndigbeth.co.uk/There are about 12 guest ales & having a chauffeur for the day I got a reasonable way around the bar. It's just near the bus station.

I've also been here before matches before; http://www.theoldcrown.com/It is apparently the city's oldest pub, had a couple of hand-pulled ales on & a nice old place.

The Custard Factory also looked interesting although I only walked through it. Chatting to a local he was saying it's mainly vegetarian restaurants but reckons they are OK.

There's loads of places otherwise around the city as you'd imagine.

If you're into ale, you need to go to the Wellington on Bennett's Hill. Craven Arms is also a cracking ale pub. The Post Office Vaults has a really good beer selection, but I could never take to the place.

If you want to go somewhere a bit more upmarket (but with good beers) try the Victoria or the Pure Bar and Kitchen.

All these places are within a 5 minute walk of new St station, by the way.

Heartily recommend The Shakespeare (just up the hill from New Street Station).

If you are after a decent Ruby Murray, Bennett's Hill is where its at. Loads of quality curry houses there.

I went in the Shakespeare when I was down there for work in the summer. It is very nice pub with a few good ales on, but what I really loved was they had a beer garden sign pointing to half a dozen chairs & a couple of tables on the pavement :-))

Heartily recommend The Shakespeare (just up the hill from New Street Station).

If you are after a decent Ruby Murray, Bennett's Hill is where its at. Loads of quality curry houses there.

The Shakespeare used to be ok until Nicholson's took it over.

Edited by Charlie Endell

If you're into ale, you need to go to the Wellington on Bennett's Hill. Craven Arms is also a cracking ale pub. The Post Office Vaults has a really good beer selection, but I could never take to the place.

If you want to go somewhere a bit more upmarket (but with good beers) try the Victoria or the Pure Bar and Kitchen.

All these places are within a 5 minute walk of new St station, by the way.

Those were the two pubs mentioned on the 'old board' (the Wellington certainly was anyway) - I planned to visit them when down for a Villa v Spurs game but never made it...

Ended up in the Yewtree after the game - that was an, er, experience.