Tethering Imac To Iphone - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tethering Imac To Iphone

I know this should probably go in the 'Technical Help' forum but no-one ever ventures in there...

By complete accident I discovered this afternoon that I can tether my iMac to my iPhone by way of my 'personal hotspot'.

I'm now wondering if I need home broadband at all as I do most of my surfing on my phone and don't download files - only (very rarely) music and the odd *cough* video. However, with six days still to run I have used 2.8GB out of my 4GB EE data allowance. Does using an iMac or iPad use up a lot more data than a phone (mainly because I'll be browsing full sites, not mobile ones, and these will contain more information)?

Edited by Charlie Endell

Really depends on the site. Some sites check your user-agent string which the browser sends on every request. If the site is clever enough, it'll serve a mobile version if you're on a mobile phone. Same for tablet & desktop.

Desktop sites are generally full-fat versions and will contain the most content.

I create both and there's not a huge difference in the download footprint. It really depends on the sites you visit.

The TAMB has a mobile version which is much faster than the desktop IMO.

There are plugins for Firefox and Chrome that let you change your user-agent to a mobile even though you're on the desktop.

Probably not worth the hassle though.