Bbc Guide: Why All The Fuss About The Snp - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bbc Guide: Why All The Fuss About The Snp

From the BBC's helpful online guide to "Why all the Fuss about the SNP":

"The main reason for the focus on the SNP at the moment is because of their high poll ratings. A number of surveys have suggested the party is on course to increase its representation at Westminster, with one indicating it could take more than 40 of Labour's seats in Scotland at the coming election".

"...take more than 40 of Labour's seats in Scotland...." I'd pay a lot to see that happen ?

They say:

"The rise in support for the party comes on the back of last year's independence referendum.

Scotland voted No to leaving the United Kingdom, but SNP membership has risen dramatically since the vote. That is in part due to the fact that many people became politically engaged during the campaign and have stayed involved since."

I'd have liked to hear how they'd attempt to explain why the defeated side would increase their support, or why the newly politically engaged people should fall behind the SNP cause.

After all, after the 1979 referendum debacle the SNP slumped in the 79 election. And after the Tories 'lost' the 1997 devo referendum, they didn't exactly see a surge of supporters coming out the woodwork clamouring to abolish or boycott Holyrood.

I'm not sure if anyone has properly explained this?