National Football Centre - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

National Football Centre

Scot1

The last few years have been good for the international team and I’m guessing the SFA. We’ve qualified for the last Euro’s, and look an almost certainty to qualify for the next one in Germany. Most home games are sell outs now, they’ve got a new tv deal, the SFA now own Hampden. I imagine things must be looking ok financially for the SFA. 
I think we’d all love to do something about Hampden, whether that’s renovate it or even build a new National stadium. But if the SFA has a few £ in the coffers I believe they should firstly invest in a National Training Centre, a home for the 1st team and all the other age groups, for both the men and women. I think it’s time the SFA invested in some state of the art facilities for our National teams. 

Edited by Scot1

Im not sure how aware you are of grassroots/national training centres around the country but the SFA have been using the Oriam centre in Edinburgh since about 2016 when it was built.

Prior to that I believe they used the National Lottery facilities in Largs. Failing that, there are other large centres that can be used, Toryglen and Stirling University in particular. Ravenscraig would also do a job.

The better question might be whether they sorted out the pitch at Oriam, as I seem to remember they were refusing to train on it for some reason?

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Im not sure how aware you are of grassroots/national training centres around the country but the SFA have been using the Oriam centre in Edinburgh since about 2016 when it was built.

Prior to that I believe they used the National Lottery facilities in Largs. Failing that, there are other large centres that can be used, Toryglen and Stirling University in particular. Ravenscraig would also do a job.

The better question might be whether they sorted out the pitch at Oriam, as I seem to remember they were refusing to train on it for some reason?

Yes I’m aware of the problems the team experienced at Oriam. I believe that they were training at Lesser Hampden the last couple of camps. 
The suggestions you’ve made for training facilities are fine but I believe if the SFA have some money to invest after the next Euro’s, a National Training complex would be top of my list. A home for our National teams and a hub for coaching and sports science. I think the SFA should be thinking about spending money on football infrastructure in this country if they are in the position to do so.

Edited by Scot1