Interrail Pass - Scotland v Germany - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Interrail Pass

p gala ta

1 hour ago, p gala ta said:

Once you buy a Euro 24 Interrail Pass does that give you free travel from Edinburgh to Cologne and anywhere else in Germany ?
Or does it just entitle you to a discount on full price tickets ?

Yes, it gives you free travel - with a few caveats. 

We booked a 15-day pass. 

We’re going Glasgow-London-Brussels-Cologne on day 1 (12th June). The Eurostar requires a supplement reservation €30 each way. Cross border trains into Germany also apparently have a mandatory seat reservation (€4.90) for our Brussels-Cologne leg. 

After that, we can hop around as and when we choose. 

Seat reservations may be advisable for the ICE trains, but not compulsory. Every journey you want a seat reservation is €4.90.  There’s no other charges, regardless of how expensive the tickets are currently selling for. 

4 minutes ago, p gala ta said:

You’re a star Alfie ,many thanks for that .

Thats all very clear now.

No probs. Any other questions, just let me know. 

The info on the seat61 rail blog site is very helpful as well.  I’ve done a fair bit of looking into it. Some other trains like TGV (if travelling via Paris have supplements). 

Very much looking forward to our journey on the way out. Leaving Glasgow @ 6.30am and getting to Cologne @ 5.15pm (6.15CET) isn’t too bad at all. 🍺

I was originally going to travel back on the train as well, but by some miracle found a £70 flight back from Munich the day after the Hungary game.