Relative unknown Scottish players you seen play once or twice and thought they were world beaters. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Relative unknown Scottish players you seen play once or twice and thought they were world beaters.

I used to work down south several days a month in the 1990’s and on a night would often take in obscure English lower league or non league matches. Usually around Leeds Manchester Birmingham.  Occasionally somebody would stick out that if you were a scout you’d think you’d found gold. One night I was in Newport and went to see Cardiff v Wigan in 1996 ( Div 3 / was Div 4 ) around the time Wigan were introducing quite a few good Portuguese players.

Cardiff won 3-0 and 2 goals were scored by a Scot called Jimmy Gardner, this guy was unplayable that night and looked a world beater. Apparently he played with Motherwell at one time. At the time I thought this guy had to move on to something bigger, he had so much skill. Anyone else ever see this guy play.

Another guy in Scotland I seen a few times against my own club was Jimmy Robertson of Queen of the South who looked a brilliant player  anytime I seen him.

Strange how guys punters rate never get the breaks and total mediocrity seem to get on.