chippie - Page 2 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

chippie

stinky

A good rule of thumb is Chipper:  good.  Chippie:  bad.  If you are in an area that uses the former to describe their Fish and Chip shop then you can usually rely upon good quality and choice.  You're in the lap of the gods with the latter.  Somewhere south of the Tay, chip shops turn crap.  The exception to this rule is Edinburgh which bizarrely bucks their normal trend for meanness by giving out generous portions of good-quality fried stuff.  Glasgow 'chippies' are uniformly rank, and any exceptions only go to prove the rule.  English chippers should simply be avoided.  I have gone in to many who think placing an oven pie and a 'saveloy' in their heated bit makes them a take-away.  If you want the good stuff head north, preferably Aberdeen city or the coastal Aberdeenshire chippers.  If in doubt, ask for a Red Pudding supper.  If they sell it, fill yer boots.  You've hit chipper Shangri-La.B)

35 minutes ago, Potted Heid said:

A good rule of thumb is Chipper:  good.  Chippie:  bad.  If you are in an area that uses the former to describe their Fish and Chip shop then you can usually rely upon good quality and choice.  You're in the lap of the gods with the latter.  Somewhere south of the Tay, chip shops turn crap.  The exception to this rule is Edinburgh which bizarrely bucks their normal trend for meanness by giving out generous portions of good-quality fried stuff.  Glasgow 'chippies' are uniformly rank, and any exceptions only go to prove the rule.  English chippers should simply be avoided.  I have gone in to many who think placing an oven pie and a 'saveloy' in their heated bit makes them a take-away.  If you want the good stuff head north, preferably Aberdeen city or the coastal Aberdeenshire chippers.  If in doubt, ask for a Red Pudding supper.  If they sell it, fill yer boots.  You've hit chipper Shangri-La.B)

The finalists in the 2017 awards suggest the best ones are central belt......

Region: Scotland

Highland, Grampian, Tayside, Central, Fife
Cromars Classic Fish & Chips, 1-3 Union Street, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9PQ
Fochabers Fish Bar, Fochabers, 19 High Street, Fochabers, Moray, IV32 7DX
Low's Traditional Fish and Chips, Unit 4, Westhill Shopping Centre, Old Skene Road, Westhill, Aberdeenshire, AB32 6RL
Lothian, Strathclyde, Borders, Dumfries & Galloway
Forehill Cafe, 19a Mount Oliphant Crescent, Ayr, Ayrshire, KA7 3EN
Palombo's of Balloch, , 40 Balloch Road, Balloch, West Dunbartonshire, G83 8LE
The Plaice To Be, 2 Stonyhill Avenue, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, KA1 4JE

26 minutes ago, Westy83 said:

Cant believe that 'plaice to be' in Killie always gets nominated (and has won),  round the corner from me, it's a dump and the food is bog standard. Only been once.

What makes it a dump? it's close to Shortlees granted but it's not a dump! Food is always decent enough anytime i'm in. Absolutely everytime i'm in the fish is cooked fresh.

I prefer the Bonnyton Cafe though.

6 hours ago, Haggis1875 said:

Well that was some over reaction, :lol:

The next time your in a bar and get accosted by Stinky ''fae Lewis''  wearing his deep fried pizza and mumbling inane drivel about how he ''coudnae git a haggis supper in the  Faroes'' you will not think im  over reacting

Edited by Thomo

2 minutes ago, Thomo said:

The next time your in a bar and get accosted by Stinky ''fae Lewis''  wearing his deep fried pizza and mumbling inane drivel about how he ''coudnae git a haggis supper in the  Faroes'' you will not think im  over reacting

That's a story is like to hear

1 hour ago, Thomo said:

? looks like I jumped in too soon ?

1 hour ago, Thomo said:

Anybody able to tell this story on Thomos behalf? It looks like this wallipur been banned

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

What makes it a dump? it's close to Shortlees granted but it's not a dump! Food is always decent enough anytime i'm in. Absolutely everytime i'm in the fish is cooked fresh.

I prefer the Bonnyton Cafe though.

Maybe I should give it another chance, but you're right, Bonnyton is by far the best in the town. Worth the drive to the other end of town.