Ditch the poppy for a thistle - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ditch the poppy for a thistle

bigfathagiz

Why not wear it on the 11th?  

If the poppy is banned by fifa fine......the thistle aint

so can the team not wear thistles or a small thistle emblem,,,as a mark of respect to the fallen

how many scots have died or have been persecuted over the years?    

does the poppy remember the clearances, bannockburn, etc etc 

If the poppy is so important then why do we totally ignore the only flower we ever sing about......?

How many poppies grow among the heather in our hills

devils advocate yes i am !!

Edited by bigfathagiz

3 minutes ago, Awa bile yer heid said:

I support the SFA and FA on this

Should FIFA sanction us then let's give them the Churchill salute and revert to our home internationals, bug¥€r the rest it's was our game in the first place !!

I hope this is a wind up.

Cause if it isn't, then it's scary to think someone would genuinely believe that.

7 hours ago, KennyMiller said:

You do know why the poppy is the remembrance symbol dont you ?

Yes I do you... do you?....I have family who died in the war, my father was badly hurt doing national service in Germany, I have friends who were in the Falklands and still suffer today because of what they saw and what happened to them.    I have a brother in law who served in Ireland who still to this day questions what he was doing there.  I have family trees done that show my relatives being pushed from their land in Caithness not because of sheep but because of money they were owed but was not given to them.....

One common theme for me is all of this was british rule. english rule. major decisions being taken by people in London......I will remember the brave the fallen and the ones affected by war but I don't need to wear a poppy that is worn by celebrities on strictly come dancing etc etc.....I do not see a need for football players to wear it either.    If you are serious about respecting the past then respect it........the fact the game is being played on the 11th is pathetic.   if all these people were so serious about respecting the past the game would have been played on a different date and the players would have been in trafalger square.     Whole thing reeks of idiots and blind leading the blind.....

Edited by bigfathagiz

2 minutes ago, bigfathagiz said:

Yes I do you... do you?....

Just pointing out (in hindsight being a bit pedantic) that the poppy was a symbol of remembrance for those that fought, helped and died in (specifically) the first world war and why it is worn on the 11th November - the date the first world war armistice was signed.

The thistle has no connection to the first world war

It is a symbol of Scotland from a legend going back to the time of the Vikings

It has never been used as a symbol of remembrance

The poppy originally from a poem 1st world war agreed but the whole poppy thing has been hijacked now its supposed to signify all people all wars......so in that case why not bannockburn.....hence the initial post.....look a wee bit deeper.

Edited by bigfathagiz

6 minutes ago, bigfathagiz said:

The poppy originally from a poem 1st world war agreed but the whole poppy thing has been hijacked now its supposed to signify all people all wars......so in that case why not bannockburn.....hence the initial post.....look a wee bit deeper.

Because it would be a tad nationalistic

Yes it would be nationalistic not a tad,,,but totally nationalistic that is my whole point.....and what is wrong with that?

we are a nation and we are playing England a different nation.

it is Scotland against England it is a football match one country against another

we need our identity we need pride we need a reason to go out and beat the English.....

we are a nation of scots.... we have our own history, our own identity, our own feckin flower of scotland....

you want to go and wear the poppy fine go ahead.... ,,,,,I can show respect without wearing what the English wear.

I want pride and something that makes our players feel a sense of ownership a sense of being and a sense of identity

I do not want to wear the same as who we need to beat.....but i fully understand why the team and other supporters will.

As i said in my initial post devils advocate.....looking for something different and potentially a kick up our teams arse

cause they feckin need it..............p,s gers fan and always will be but my country Scotland comes first.

8 hours ago, bigfathagiz said:

Yes I do you... do you?....I have family who died in the war, my father was badly hurt doing national service in Germany, I have friends who were in the Falklands and still suffer today because of what they saw and what happened to them.    I have a brother in law who served in Ireland who still to this day questions what he was doing there.  I have family trees done that show my relatives being pushed from their land in Caithness not because of sheep but because of money they were owed but was not given to them.....

One common theme for me is all of this was british rule. english rule. major decisions being taken by people in London......I will remember the brave the fallen and the ones affected by war but I don't need to wear a poppy that is worn by celebrities on strictly come dancing etc etc.....I do not see a need for football players to wear it either.    If you are serious about respecting the past then respect it........the fact the game is being played on the 11th is pathetic.   if all these people were so serious about respecting the past the game would have been played on a different date and the players would have been in trafalger square.     Whole thing reeks of idiots and blind leading the blind.....

You've quoted the wrong guy - I never said that?!

Was Mr Bongo up there.

Edited by KennyMiller