Poppies on shirts? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poppies on shirts?

andreimack

The Scottish and English FA's are in talks with FIFA about players being allowed to wear poppies on their shirts to commemorate armistice day when the teams meet next week. As it's not breaking any of FIFA's rules why defer to them at all? 

Rodger Moore ( a really old English James Bond, and not a patch on Sean Connery ? just in case the young un's don't know who he is,) was just on Chris Evans show and stated that what would the Swiss know about rememberence, they've been neutral for 500 years. Methinks that's a headline somewhere tomorrow! 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37832115

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't care either way to be honest.

Its a game of football. 

Hopefully no massive friendly handover of large poppies before the match and a nice big family feeling about the union.

Pay your respects before the match at 11am. Wear a poppy if you want. Pay your respects on Sunday.

As soon as we are in the stadium the footballing battle commences and we better fight.

Edited by KennyMiller

Just got the feeling, does it really matter?  Pay your respects but 90 mins of thinking of just the football is disrespectful.  Usual people making a big deal out of nothing.

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

Mandatory respect is no respect at all.

That pretty much nails it for me too, what happens if a player states he does not want to wear one on his shirt, is he forced to wear it or dropped from the team? 

7 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I don't see why the SFA and EFA are making a song and dance about sticking them on the strips.

You are not thinking it through hard enough ...

41 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

You are not thinking it through hard enough ...

I'm really not, because I presume you're getting at something,but it's right over my head.

:lol:

We're not showing a lack of respect by not wearing them, been told it's not allowed, so can't wear them as in international football terms it's a bit political.

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I'm really not, because I presume you're getting at something,but it's right over my head.

:lol:

We're not showing a lack of respect by not wearing them, been told it's not allowed, so can't wear them as in international football terms it's a bit political.

Remembrance should be a personal thing however it was hijacked by the Tories for political means some years ago

Wearing a poppy = Britishness 

(See events at Ibrox)

The earlier in the year you wear your poppy the more British you are 

England v Scotland at Wembley is a perfect advertisement for that "Britishness" in the current political climate

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Jim White is going ape shit about this

Regan is about to be interviewed by him.

It's totally a Rangers/Unionist thing

I can understand why UEFA or FIFA  want to keep any symbols that may be seen as politically sensitive out of international football which should remain the case.  I think the domestic British leagues have every right to have the poppy displayed, even if it has been hijacked from its original meaning. There also shouldn't be a big brew haha when footballers may choose not to wear it for personal reasons.

The outrage machine that is the Daily Mail and the other right wing knuckle draggers might want to show a bit of humility towards footballers in the British domestic leagues that come from countries that were colonized and who that choose not to wear a symbol that honours the very armed forces who were enforcing that rule through the barrel of a gun.

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Surely the minute silence will be enough?

It should be. It really should be.

This jazzed up, all singing all dancing remembrance day has really gone out of control now.

5 minutes ago, Bino's said:

the entire poppy phenomenum is a deflection against our and the states general military activity in recent years

please keep this away from sport

I agree. Perhaps if the poppy madness was balanced out with widespread discussion and study of the British military's shameful actions across the globe throughout their history, it would be less grating.

2 minutes ago, irish said:

I can understand why UEFA or FIFA  want to keep any symbols that may be seen as politically sensitive out of international football which should remain the case.  I think the domestic British leagues have every right to have the poppy displayed, even if it has been hijacked from its original meaning. There also shouldn't be a big brew haha when footballers may choose not to wear it for personal reasons.

The outrage machine that is the Daily Mail and the other right wing knuckle draggers might want to show a bit of humility towards footballers in the British domestic leagues that come from countries that were colonized and who that choose not to wear a symbol that honours the very armed forces who were enforcing that rule through the barrel of a gun.

The only reason there is a brouhaha is because when they insist you wear one and you don't, it is you who is making the statement, rather than the person wearing the poppy.  It's all wrong.

People seem to think you have to be showing visably your respect or you are perceived to be disrespectful.  You don't have to wear a poppy on a strip to show your respect.  As someone said above it's a personal quiet thing, no need for a song and dance.

I hate SSN, Jim White is a tosser!

8 minutes ago, irish said:

There's not a word there I would disagree with :ok:

I for my part am sorry and ashamed that Scottish soldiers have been involved in the oppression of your nation amongst many others. "Heroes" is not the term I'd use for the King's Own Scottish Borderers shooting unarmed civilians dead at Howth in 1914 or the Highland Light Infantry's role in the 1920 sacking of Cork.

Yes, it is rather degrading for a player who's country was once held under British colonial rule to be forced to honour the armed forces who brought so much bloodshed, fear and misery to many different parts of the world. Too many people forget that.

There is a kind of "British exceptionalism" afoot. It surely just isn't possible that our brave lads in khaki would burn down settlements, rape women and girls, establish concentration camps, destroy crops and livestock, brutalise prisoners. But they did. All that happened as recently as the 1950s in Kenya and Malaya.

And I don't run away from the fact that Scots were right smack in the centre of many of these vile deeds. We as Scots should be honest and face up to this fact however uncomfortable it is to admit.

Dont see what this has to do with football, Id rather they did nothing.

The poppy wearers start earlier every year, and frankly I find it utterly pointless that every presenter on TV needs to wear one. Its turned into a celebration of how great the UK is, not a remembrance of fallen soldiers, its remembering WW1, theres barely anyone alive who can actually remember it, its time to let it just fade away IMO. 

6 minutes ago, kumnio said:

The poppy wearers start earlier every year, and frankly I find it utterly pointless that every presenter on TV needs to wear one. Its turned into a celebration of how great the UK is, not a remembrance of fallen soldiers, its remembering WW1, theres barely anyone alive who can actually remember it, its time to let it just fade away IMO. 

Fully agree with you.

The really sad thing is that there are people out there who would resort to intimidation or even violence if anyone was to dare make a statement like that on the TV or radio.

It's time to move on.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

10 minutes ago, kumnio said:

It's not just WWI but I do agree that it has been turned into an almost commercial political point making exercise.