Experience over Youth - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Experience over Youth

KennyMiller

For this game only.

This match is about winning. It's about playing your most physically fit, mentally strongest and best players in every position.

The counter argument is the people who say it's about playing for the future and how else will players get experience - well it may take 15/20 years for a match like this to come round again so that exercise would see us well and truly pumped.

The Tierney injury is heartbreaking for the lad however it's not a bad thing. He struggles with letting men past him, he can't cross, struggles physically with fitness and this occasion would eat him up especially with Walcott who killed us last time out at Wembley running down his throat. His time will come but it's blessing in disguise (for want of a better phrase) that he won't start.

Gordon must start - His experience, including beating France away is necessary. Marshalls confidence is low after shipping goals for Hull.

Hutton over Paterson.

Brown over anyone else in midfield.

The only exception experience wise is Griffiths as he is better than any other striker.

Agree / Disagree? That's what this place is about. Look forward to the opinions.

I think a mixture of both but would go with youth over experience imo.  Our players are experienced in bottling big games and failure, I'd give the future the chance to play and the experience of this game will help them develop.

I respect your opinion and see what you mean but play Hutton?...

Edited by Radian

We need to play the likes of Burke Forrest or Anya. It will give us pace for the counter attack and it will stop them coming forward in numbers as they know we can counter attack.

going with such a negative formation like we did in the last game will make an almost impossible mission, totally mission impossible.

GS needs to sort things out and go at teams as we are that bad at the back we couldn't defend against an under 10 team let alone part timers or even a team where most of there players play in the top tier.

the injuries are not helping us 1 bit. 

Trying to find some positives for this game and it is just getting harder by the day. Not like a normal big game where I usually start to get up for it from about 2 weeks before.

Working in England with guys that go to there games all the time they have been going on about this game for weeks and all I can think is I wish we can come off the pitch with are heads held high.

36 minutes ago, Radian said:

I think a mixture of both but would go with youth over experience imo.  Our players are experienced in bottling big games and failure, I'd give the future the chance to play and the experience of this game will help them develop.

I respect your opinion and see what you mean but play Hutton?...

I was on the fence mate. I really was.

I watch Paterson every second week and going forward he is cracking. He can also score. Defensively - hot and cold.

Decent point around no fear with young players and no memories of failure.

33 minutes ago, KennyMiller said:

I was on the fence mate. I really was.

I watch Paterson every second week and going forward he is cracking. He can also score. Defensively - hot and cold.

Decent point around no fear with young players and no memories of failure.

With the state of our CB's, 3-5-2 maybe an option.  I'm at the stage now where I believe barring a miracle we'll lose, I'd rather lose with young players learning their game against better players than the same old failures.  

5 minutes ago, Radian said:

With the state of our CB's, 3-5-2 maybe an option.  I'm at the stage now where I believe barring a miracle we'll lose, I'd rather lose with young players learning their game against better players than the same old failures.  

Sums it up perfectly for me. :ok:

Sorry, but the old guard all have to go. 

Time to say goodbye to old favourites like Fletcher, Hutton, Naismith etc.

47 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

i think we will be lucky to see burke in the squad never mind the starting 11

Concerned about that too. I've got a really nasty feeling Strachan will drop Burke to the Under 21s. 

11 hours ago, KennyMiller said:

For this game only.

This match is about winning. It's about playing your most physically fit, mentally strongest and best players in every position.

The counter argument is the people who say it's about playing for the future and how else will players get experience - well it may take 15/20 years for a match like this to come round again so that exercise would see us well and truly pumped.

The Tierney injury is heartbreaking for the lad however it's not a bad thing. He struggles with letting men past him, he can't cross, struggles physically with fitness and this occasion would eat him up especially with Walcott who killed us last time out at Wembley running down his throat. His time will come but it's blessing in disguise (for want of a better phrase) that he won't start.

Gordon must start - His experience, including beating France away is necessary. Marshalls confidence is low after shipping goals for Hull.

Hutton over Paterson.

Brown over anyone else in midfield.

The only exception experience wise is Griffiths as he is better than any other striker.

Agree / Disagree? That's what this place is about. Look forward to the opinions.

Agree with the majority. Though I think Tierney is a good crosser and his crosses vary as well. Would be happy with Gordon or Marshall to be honest