London Restaurants - Page 2 - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

London Restaurants

Parklife

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, kps022000 said:

Any idea on type of food, budget (cheap and cheerful, mid priced, high end)

As for drinking establishments, its not an area that I go out in a lot however if I was meeting a few mates we would drink in a few of Tattershall Castle (boat at embankment), Chandos (nice and cheap beer in London), The Porterhouse (great choice of beer), The French House (very traditional french pub steeped in history), Waxy o Connors (best of the 'irish' pubs), The Cross Keys (if you want to avoid tourists).  There is a pub we always end up in that has someone playing a piano (not a performer, just someone in the pub) but I cannot remember the name of it.  Provided you are not looking for something specific, there is enough bars and pubs that you can have one drink then move somewhere else if it is not your fancy, there are plenty of places to check out.  If you are meeting quite early on Saturday, Punch and Judy in convent Garden is a good place to meet.  It has a balcony where you can watch the covent garden street entertainers.

I think somewhere around the middle leaves you at Temple not Leicester Square. I would suggest the Coal Hole on the Strand. There is an underground bar called Gordons Wine bar on Viliers Street on the road leading down from the side of Charing Cross. Why not go against the Tore Andre Flo and go across the river as opposed to various cliched places around Leicester Square. Loads round the south bank and great views as you walk across Hungerford Bridge.

14 hours ago, kps022000 said:

Any idea on type of food, budget (cheap and cheerful, mid priced, high end)

As for drinking establishments, its not an area that I go out in a lot however if I was meeting a few mates we would drink in a few of Tattershall Castle (boat at embankment), Chandos (nice and cheap beer in London), The Porterhouse (great choice of beer), The French House (very traditional french pub steeped in history), Waxy o Connors (best of the 'irish' pubs), The Cross Keys (if you want to avoid tourists).  There is a pub we always end up in that has someone playing a piano (not a performer, just someone in the pub) but I cannot remember the name of it.  Provided you are not looking for something specific, there is enough bars and pubs that you can have one drink then move somewhere else if it is not your fancy, there are plenty of places to check out.  If you are meeting quite early on Saturday, Punch and Judy in convent Garden is a good place to meet.  It has a balcony where you can watch the covent garden street entertainers.

Probably Italian or steak and mid priced. Won't be meeting until about 7 and probably have a drink somewhere first where we can have a blether without having to shout. My friend has not met my mates before, nor I hers so would be nice to have a civilised meeting first.

2 hours ago, joecraigfanclub said:

I think somewhere around the middle leaves you at Temple not Leicester Square. I would suggest the Coal Hole on the Strand. There is an underground bar called Gordons Wine bar on Viliers Street on the road leading down from the side of Charing Cross. Why not go against the Tore Andre Flo and go across the river as opposed to various cliched places around Leicester Square. Loads round the south bank and great views as you walk across Hungerford Bridge.

Was thinking more of somewhere my friend didn't have to travel too far to hence Leicester Square/Covent Garden. Can't say I had considered 'over the water' before. Sounds a bit too much like Fife :-)

Anywhere in particular you would suggest? Preferably somewhere we can get a drink after 11pm and not struggle to get a taxi back to our hotel!

9 hours ago, joecraigfanclub said:

Good suggestions!  I used to frequent those places in my time in London. 

Can anyone here recommend a pub/restaurant/hotel in London for a Christmas meal on Christmas Day? Realise that most places are closed but I know a fair number of pubs open at midday and hotel restaurants may be open too. Not looking for anywhere expensive (though reading earlier comments about 100pp on a normal day make me think Christmas Day will mean sandwiches and wait till Boxing Day) so  turkey,crackers and a bit of wine and beer would be fine. Anywhere central but especially Kings Cross/Euston area would be great.

Forget 100 pp At around £15 a main course try lu livios between embankment Tube and  The strand it is the best seafood tagilatlle in London that I have tasted ( tagliatelle Alle Coze) ask for no shells on the prawns though

The Coal hole is ok for a drink but don't eat in it, Duke of Wellington int bad

Sophies Steakhouse around the corner from the Lyceum Theatre (the Lion King)/duke of Wellington  does a pretty decent steak at a pretty decent price given its location - plus they serve food later than most

21 hours ago, ironbrew said:

Can anyone here recommend a pub/restaurant/hotel in London for a Christmas meal on Christmas Day? Realise that most places are closed but I know a fair number of pubs open at midday and hotel restaurants may be open too. Not looking for anywhere expensive (though reading earlier comments about 100pp on a normal day make me think Christmas Day will mean sandwiches and wait till Boxing Day) so  turkey,crackers and a bit of wine and beer would be fine. Anywhere central but especially Kings Cross/Euston area would be great.

http://www.timeout.com/london/food-drink/london-restaurants-open-on-christmas-day