Cutting it Fine! Anyone with London Knowledge? - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cutting it Fine! Anyone with London Knowledge?

laurataylordu

Ok so im working on Fri 11th November and Im booked on the  15.25 pm flight from Glasgow to arrive at Heathrow at 16.50 scheduled. Im hopeful to have a ticket as Im on 4  points.  

So now Im wanting any information that people have for getting me from Heathrow to Wembley as quickly as humanly possible. I know thrres apps for it was wondering if anyone hasfirst hand experience of the best way to get from Heathrow to Wembley at that time as quickly as possible? Anybody else on this flight? 

2 minutes ago, deecie said:

Use Uber.

20-25 minutes.

Problem with that is getting a pickup at Heathrow, they're really clamping down on pickups now.   Also, use black cabs in London not Uber. 

Edited by aaid

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Problem with that is getting a pickup at Heathrow, they're really clamping down on pickups now.   Also, use black cabs in London not Uber. 

Not sure about the black cab comment, I wouldn't give the robbing bastards the money, lots of reputable local cab companies.

I would agree with the train but get the Met line to Wembley Park, the clue is in the name.

The cheapest option I would go with is a cab to Uxbridge and get the Met in from there. 

Thank you all for your help!

I had considered a taxi of any sort but as its 5pm and full on rush hour  I thought the traffic would be memtal and may sit in it for longer?

How far is Uxbridge? Its all such a minefield with trains and undersgrounds and stuff. I feel as if I dont know which is best. So is id there a station called Wembley and one called Wembley Park? Are they close even and the same mode of transport ie both trains?

8 hours ago, andymac said:

Not sure about the black cab comment, I wouldn't give the robbing bastards the money, lots of reputable local cab companies.

I would agree with the train but get the Met line to Wembley Park, the clue is in the name.

The cheapest option I would go with is a cab to Uxbridge and get the Met in from there. 

I agree

Black cab wanted £40 from terminal 2 to my hotel less than 2 miles away.

I told him to shove it.

I've use Uber in London before and they're fine about a third of the price of black cab or even less.

I'd get an Uber to Uxbridge then the metropolitan line to Wembley.

Here's a little known trick from Paddington to Wembley. My Londoner brother-in-law put me onto it and use it all the time for the NFL games as I live in Wiltshire. (Going next weekend).

I agree get the Heathrow express to Paddington.

Then Paddington to Marylebone on the Bakerloo (Heading South away from Wembley Central), swap to the overland train at Marylebone heading North to Wembley Stadium.

All in train travel time is 16 minutes, chuck in 10 minutes faffing about and it's really quick and IMHO much less busy as people naturally head towards Wembley Central. You do have to give up the Wembley Way walk experience and photo opp, but that's a small price to pay.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

On 21 September 2016 at 10:27 PM, laurataylordu said:

Ok so im working on Fri 11th November and Im booked on the  15.25 pm flight from Glasgow to arrive at Heathrow at 16.50 scheduled. Im hopeful to have a ticket as Im on 4  points.  

So now Im wanting any information that people have for getting me from Heathrow to Wembley as quickly as humanly possible. I know thrres apps for it was wondering if anyone hasfirst hand experience of the best way to get from Heathrow to Wembley at that time as quickly as possible? Anybody else on this flight? 

I will give you a wave as your flight takes off! Likewise due to work I need to get the 17.05 from Glasgow arriving at Heathrow at 18.30! Any more local knowledge greatly appreciated to get to Wembley as close as possible to kick off! 

On 22 September 2016 at 2:26 PM, Bristolhibby said:

Here's a little known trick from Paddington to Wembley. My Londoner brother-in-law put me onto it and use it all the time for the NFL games as I live in Wiltshire. (Going next weekend).

I agree get the Heathrow express to Paddington.

Then Paddington to Marylebone on the Bakerloo (Heading South away from Wembley Central), swap to the overland train at Marylebone heading North to Wembley Stadium.

All in train travel time is 16 minutes, chuck in 10 minutes faffing about and it's really quick and IMHO much less busy as people naturally head towards Wembley Central. You do have to give up the Wembley Way walk experience and photo opp, but that's a small price to pay.

J

It's a little known trick for a reason ya rocket.

5 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Marylebone overland is a good shout for speed, but that will be the English Fan route for many. The Globe at Baker St/Marylebone is a well known England hangout pub. 

This is true. I've only ever done it for the NFL. I'll be in the centre for the England game, so it will be Bakerloo and Metropolitan lines North for me.

J

3 hours ago, albamikey said:

I will give you a wave as your flight takes off! Likewise due to work I need to get the 17.05 from Glasgow arriving at Heathrow at 18.30! Any more local knowledge greatly appreciated to get to Wembley as close as possible to kick off! 

Ha!  Thought I was cutting it fine, thats a bit later! ?

4 hours ago, albamikey said:

You are not even going to be out the airport until at least 7.15. I believe arrival time is when the wheels hit the runway, not when you are embarking. 

Avoid taxi as traffic at that time of night on a Friday will be a nightmare. So Express to Paddington (every 15 min - so you could be lucky or unlucky). Don't get tube. Then overland from Marylebone to Wembley (not regular) . By the way, it is a good 15min walk from Overland Station at Wembley to where we will be sitting. 

My advice would try and get a flight to Luton then minicab or possible overland train. 

8 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

You are not even going to be out the airport until at least 7.15. I believe arrival time is when the wheels hit the runway, not when you are embarking. 

Avoid taxi as traffic at that time of night on a Friday will be a nightmare. So Express to Paddington (every 15 min - so you could be lucky or unlucky). Don't get tube. Then overland from Marylebone to Wembley (not regular) . By the way, it is a good 15min walk from Overland Station at Wembley to where we will be sitting. 

My advice would try and get a flight to Luton then minicab or possible overland train. 

Why not getthe tube? Also is there not a stop called Wembley Park thats the closest one?

11 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Trust me it is not through choice the time of flight. I will still be at work in Ayrshire at 3.15pm so even making that flight is a slight challenge. Thanks for all suggestions - reality is I would rather be stuck in traffic trying to get to the game than sat at home or in the boozer! 

2 hours ago, albamikey said:

Trust me it is not through choice the time of flight. I will still be at work in Ayrshire at 3.15pm so even making that flight is a slight challenge. Thanks for all suggestions - reality is I would rather be stuck in traffic trying to get to the game than sat at home or in the boozer! 

You'd better pray you're not selected for a pickup.  Good luck.

4 hours ago, laurataylordu said:

Why not getthe tube? Also is there not a stop called Wembley Park thats the closest one?

Wembley Stadium which is the overland train out of Marylebone is closer than the tube station at Wembley Park.  It's also less busy, although it is busy, so it's easier to get up to the station.   For you getting in at five, your options are cab to Uxbridge and the met line down to Wembley Park.  That has the benefit of going against the flow from Uxbridge to Wembley but personally I wouldn't risk the traffic in a cab at hat time on a Friday.  The other option which I would take is Heathrow express to Paddington, Bakerloo to Marylebone and then overland to Wembley Stadium.  You could get on the met line at Baker Street but bear in mind there will be both Friday evening rush hour traffic - which is bad enough - coupled with the football crowd so you might struggle to get on a train.  Getting the overground from Marylebone has the benefit that it starts there and they have a queuing system in place.  I've done this many times and have ever had to wait more than 10-15 minutes for a train. 

14 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Marylebone overland is a good shout for speed, but that will be the English Fan route for many. The Globe at Baker St/Marylebone is a well known England hangout pub. 

Do they still drink in the Globe?  The Globe of course is right across from Baker St and so the met line is closer.

For the many times I've been to Wembley with Chelsea, I've used Marylebone and it's always worked well.  Tend to go drinking around Paddington/Edgware Road where there's loads of good pubs that are generally a bit quieter and just walk up to Marylebone about 2pm for a 3 o'clock kick off.

I've noticed though that when its been two London teams playing, Marylebone has been a lot busier which I put down to local knowledge.