My Apology - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My Apology

Flure,

Genuinely feel for you blokes Ive been reading this board for a few years and I get how much independence means to many of you. I may have disagreed with some of the arguments that have been put forward but I dont doubt Scotland could be a viable independent country.

As you said life goes on..

I second that.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On canvassing I had a couple of concerns. Quantifying voting intention on a canvas is prone to error on the part of the canvasser and the voter - the former might over-estimate a voters intention and the voter might flippantly over-commit. Also, the canvassing returns didnt quantify the doors that went unanswered meaning there was a large block who were unknown. As an example, in a knock up yesterday morning in a social deprived area of Edinburgh (an area we really needed to be doing well in), the knock up represented about half of the eligible voters. The canvas return probably looked great but half of our potential vote hadnt indicated a leaning to Yes or even bothered to answer the door.

Now Im not suggesting the canvassing was totally wrong, but I do think there were signs that it was being over-cooked. While it loathe's me to say it, I think there were a "silent majority" out there who hadnt engaged with canvassing.

Also, Yes made a huge play about their target demographic being more motivated to vote. I think that turned out to be over-cooked too. When it came to the crunch, the social demographic voting No - wealthier, more educated, politically aware - understood the importance of getting out to vote and had the motivation and means to do so. On the other hand, when it came to the crunch, the social demographic voting Yes - less wealthy, less aware of the consequences of not voting, more domestic pressures preventing them from voting - found it harder to marks those ballots.

Im not saying the Yes vote collapsed, but it certainly didnt hold up and might never have been quite what we thought it was. Add in the bombardment over the last two weeks and the writing was on the wall.

badger knows what we do from here but no Yes campaigner should feel they came up short. We met the full might of the British state and then some. 45% is an incredible achievement.

For me it was the ridiculous high % dont knows on the canvass returns. Clearly it was "shy Tory" syndrome there, with the majority of them actually NO but too embarrassed to admit on the doorstep.

I've never been involved in canvassing, but just about every election results show I've ever watched has featured confident looking politicians (of all hues) saying they are feeling good because canvassing returns are "excellent" - followed by them looking like a fool a few hours later when they're on the wrong end of an embarrassing defeat.

I guess the question is - Is canvassing ever really anything other than an interesting guide/an opportunity to chat to voters - Does it ever really provide results you can be pretty sure of your position from?

Edited by NE_fifer

Flure, you have nothing to be sorry for.

You put your heart and soul in to this campaign. We didn't win, but give me your positivity anyday of the week.

We should be buying you a drink and shaking your hand for your hard work.

I am forever grateful for yourself and the many others who helped fight our cause.

You are a legend.

1411119885260_wps_42_www_scotimage_com_G

Flure, Lamia and FE make the press, sadly it couldnt be in worse terms.

Most hacked off to make the Daily Mail of all rags. You can let Flure off the hook though he isn't in the pic.

I am only just beginning to recover from the total devastation despite the fact I thought we would lose all along I am filled with fear and a sense of hopelessness. Went to New Deer today though and Alex Salmond did help boost me a bit. He is full of fight still.

Most hacked off to make the Daily Mail of all rags. You can let Flure off the hook though he isn't in the pic.

I am only just beginning to recover from the total devastation despite the fact I thought we would lose all along I am filled with fear and a sense of hopelessness. Went to New Deer today though and Alex Salmond did help boost me a bit. He is full of fight still.

Keep that photo for inspiration. For the next time. And then we will win that one.

Been through a lot of emotions the last few days - tears, anger, helplessnes, pride.

I'm hugely encouraged by the number of new SNP/Green/SSP members, foodbank donations, talks of a 'YesAlliance', and people willing to battle on.

I thought we might lose as well, and kept having to remind myself to not get too caught away with the Yes campaign positivity. It didn't help a jot though and was devasted and absolutley broken on Thursday/Friday, but it's becoming clearer and clearer.

I'm up for it and from the sounds of social media, so, so many of us are! My parents joined the SNP on Sunday, I on Friday- they are 59 years old, 2 pals the Greens, 3 more the SNP and 1 has joined the SSP.

None of them have took much of an interest in politics at all. Two of them (my pals - we're all 31) haven't voted since they were 18!

That's why giving up would be such a 'Scottish' thing to do. Everyone will take time and we are all 'grieving' in various ways, but all of us who are willing to keep going would love you to come with us.

There's an election in May. We can already win Scotland back again.

1411119885260_wps_42_www_scotimage_com_G

Flure, Lamia and FE make the press, sadly it couldnt be in worse terms.

That is a phenomenal picture that sums up so much. I understand what you are saying Lamia, but your time will come again & it will be yes next time. I spoke to you in Dortmund as a 100% no, by the time Thursday came I was probably 51% & by Friday, it was probably less still. The tide is turning & in 2020, I would say it'll be a walk in the park for yes :ok:

Financial sector- am sure in Europe Edinburgh is 9th largest and Glasgow 10th.

Sorry cannot accept excuses like that- they need to own up to their selfishness

as does Aberdeen.

Yes voter who works in Glasgow Financial Sector.

Elsewhere I have already hypothesised over the reason for Edinburgh's vote. Lets not tarnish the whole city as many there ached for Independence. Those that voted no I'd guess would be the many toffs with 5K houses in Morningside and two or three cars. They live in oppulence and that is all they care about so they are happy with how things are and to hell with everybody else. Also take into note the many uni's there are in the city with English students up here because their own country won't pay tuition fees yet still voted no (oh the hypocrisy) and there were two of them wrapped in UJ's grinning broadly on news the other day. That is two large groups to account for so many votes plus you had those petrified/blackmailed into voting no by under-handed tactics.

In defence of Edinburgh could it possibly be that the city has the wealthy areas within it's city limits?

The suburbs of Glasgow are outwith city boundaries and they voted similar to Edinburgh.

East Dunbartonshire has Bearsden, Bishopbriggs, Lenzie and Milngavie.

East Renfrew has Newton Mearns, Clarkston and Whitecraigs as examples.

Does anyone have a breakdown of the vote from constituencies .would like to know how my own area did

yup, I would like to know that. Re the financial services, i think the move of head office for RBS and Standard Life did hurt us. Even tho it meant jack shit. Agree on other point, our leafy suburbs like Balerno, Barnton, Morningside are all within the Edinburgh boundary, coupled with the amount of students, think that is what furked us up.

At the Ratho polling station, we had people from the village manning the Yes presence at the station, All day, we had parachuted in No campaigners, who predominantly were from Balerno and were Tories. One particular erse was that female NHS consultant who was nippy on the Edinburgh BBC debate show. Did my best to wind her up for her 3 hour stint.

Not seen any percentages but I saw a tweet that listed the following (dont know how accurate it is)

Kennoway, Methihill, Methil, Buckhaven, Wemyss's, Leven;s schemes, Paisley, Irvine, Saltcoats, Ardrossan & Arran, Croy, Condorrat, Cumbernauld Village, Banton, Kilsyth, Queenzieburn, Lochaber, Clydebank, Airdrie, Motherwell, Dundee, Glasgow, Coatbridge, Shotts, High Valleyfield, Oakley, Denny, Dunnipace, Fankerton, Fraserburgh, Cowdenbeath, Kelty, Hurlford, Stranraer, Inverness, Skye and Lochalsh, Lennoxtown, Rosyth, Twechar and Tain