US Open - Tennis - Page 3 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

US Open - Tennis

vanderark14

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/8/2016 at 6:38 AM, Parklife said:

I think that the No.1 spot being out of reach is what disappoints me most about the result. 

Tour finals and retaining the Davis cup will be the number 1 priorities now. Be good if he could win the finals at the o2. 

It isn't necessarily out of reach. Murray has added around 300 points to his total (as he only reached 4th Round at US Open last year). If Djoko loses the final he will drop 800 points as he won the US Open last year so theoretically Murray could haul back over 1000 points on Novak.

Incredible performance by Stan. Playing at his very best, there's not a player around who can live with him. That backhand is the most beautiful shot in the sport, technically flawless. When he's on his game and he's also striking the forehand with power and accuracy, there's no better player to watch. 

For someone who wasn't in great form throughout the tournament, to play like that last night is testament to his ability to rise to the occasion. Even Djokovic and his usual medical time out at a key time couldn't knock Stan off his game. 

6 minutes ago, Boynze said:

far too inconsistent though. Having seen him live he absolutely leathers the ball, much hard than Andy for example. But how many finals.and semis has he made? His only bit of consistency is that he usually goes out prematurely.

In the last 12 slams (since he won his first) he's won 3, reached 3 semi finals and 3 quarter finals. Not a bad performance timeline IMO. Until then he was definitely an underachiever. I think the fact that he's never done much at Wimbledon means many people in the UK have a very different perception of him to the rest of the tennis world. He's won 3 of the 4 slams and the Davis Cup. Not a bad career... He doesn't have the weekly consistency of Murray or Djokovic though, i agree. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

In the last 12 slams (since he won his first) he's won 3, reached 3 semi finals and 3 quarter finals. Not a bad performance timeline IMO. Until then he was definitely an underachiever. I think the fact that he's never done much at Wimbledon means many people in the UK have a very different perception of him to the rest of the tennis world. He's won 3 of the 4 slams and the Davis Cup. Not a bad career... He doesn't have the weekly consistency of Murray or Djokovic though, i agree. 

I think their respective earnings would back that up. It's possibly not even weekly consistency that's his issue, but more game by game.  He really should have gone out earlier this week but dug deep and pulls out a display like that for the final. 

Well done to him, great to watch, and a very likeable lad to boot.