US Open - Tennis - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

US Open - Tennis

vanderark14

Murray starts his bid for this tonight. 

There's not much between Murray and Djokovic if you look at the odds. I heard on the radio that one of the bookies has Murray as favourite. Its probably down to Djookovic carrying a wrist injury 

Murray looked wrecked in Cincinnati, I hope he's had enough rest to mount a serious challenge and win hi 4th slam.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the best chance Murray has had going in to any slam in his whole career. 

Djokovic is, for the first time in years, very vulnerable. Physically he's struggling with his wrist and he's also talking about having personal problems, which does seem to have affected him. He no longer looks like the unbeatable machine that he has done. A 4 set struggle vs an out of form Jerzy Janowicz is testament to all of that. 

Murray on the other hand is at his all time peak. He's lost one match since the French open final, winning 3 tournaments and losing in the Cincinatti final when he was clearly shattered (remember he went straight there after winning in Rio. Playing on the Tuesday after winning on the Sunday). Since then though, he's had a week to recover and i'm sure will have felt the benefit of that. 

He's at the peak of his game, has a kind draw and has Lendl in his corner to keep him focussed and mentally tough. Personally i think there's only 5 guys in the draw who can win this: Andy, Djokovic, Wawrinkwa, Delpo (fitness dependent) & Cillic. I don't think Nishikori will elevate himself to Grandslam winner until Andy & Djokovic decline and i think Rafa is too far gone to get back to his very best. 

Raonic unexpectedly falls to Ryan Harrison in the 2nd round. Great news for Rafa and, in turn, Djokovic. 

Andy expected to be on court at about 6pm our time tonight for his match against Marcel Granollers. 

On 8/30/2016 at 10:23 AM, Parklife said:

This is the best chance Murray has had going in to any slam in his whole career. 

Djokovic is, for the first time in years, very vulnerable. Physically he's struggling with his wrist and he's also talking about having personal problems, which does seem to have affected him. He no longer looks like the unbeatable machine that he has done. A 4 set struggle vs an out of form Jerzy Janowicz is testament to all of that. 

Murray on the other hand is at his all time peak. He's lost one match since the French open final, winning 3 tournaments and losing in the Cincinatti final when he was clearly shattered (remember he went straight there after winning in Rio. Playing on the Tuesday after winning on the Sunday). Since then though, he's had a week to recover and i'm sure will have felt the benefit of that. 

He's at the peak of his game, has a kind draw and has Lendl in his corner to keep him focussed and mentally tough. Personally i think there's only 5 guys in the draw who can win this: Andy, Djokovic, Wawrinkwa, Delpo (fitness dependent) & Cillic. I don't think Nishikori will elevate himself to Grandslam winner until Andy & Djokovic decline and i think Rafa is too far gone to get back to his very best. 

Spot on Parklife. 

If Murray can stay mentally tuned in and avoid any marathon matches in the run-up to the final he will be in with a great shout. He is the form player in the world at the moment and only Stan returning to his very best form and Novak rediscovering his mojo really stad in his way.

Presently, Murray is playing on Arthur Ashe with the roof closed as the rain falls and he is in control of his Second Round match against Marcel Granollers leading 6-4 6-1 1-2. Not at his most polished today but when he needed to he upped his level and Granollers had no answer.

Strangely, I like to see the "British" win at tennis.  Not at the Olympics, not in other sports where it's GB, and certainly not when they're representing England at rugger, cricket or whatever, but maybe it's the individual nature of the sport?  Or else the fact that the "Brits" come from Scotland/Canada/Jersey/Australia/SouthAfrica?   Maybe I'm just really racist against the English?

Edited by adamntg

On 02/09/2016 at 10:59 PM, adamntg said:

Strangely, I like to see the "British" win at tennis.  Not at the Olympics, not in other sports where it's GB, and certainly not when they're representing England at rugger, cricket or whatever, but maybe it's the individual nature of the sport?  Or else the fact that the "Brits" come from Scotland/Canada/Jersey/Australia/SouthAfrica?   Maybe I'm just really racist against the English?

Racism and bigotry is despised on here.....apart from when it's directed at Britain, England and No voters, so you'll be fine mate :)

Don't think I've seen Evans play this well before. You get the feeling he needs to get it done in four though. 

On 9/4/2016 at 0:50 AM, Angus_Young said:

Racism and bigotry is despised on here.....apart from when it's directed at Britain, England and No voters, so you'll be fine mate :)

Don't think I've seen Evans play this well before. You get the feeling he needs to get it done in four though. 

On 9/4/2016 at 1:59 AM, Angus_Young said:

Game over, Stan leads 4-0. Unlucky for Evans, I thought he had him there.

Warwinka, serving an ace, on a second serve, with the tie break at 8-8 was quite something. Fair play to him. 

Dan Evans seems like a really good guy. Funny and candid in interviews and very down to earth. Had some issues in the past where he lacked the focus/work ethic to make the most of his talent. I think Leon Smith has got to take some credit for Evans' resurgence over the last 2 years. He called him into the Davis Cup team from nowhere, which seems to really have focussed his mind on what he can achieve. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Andy through to the last 8 with ease. Only 5 games dropped v Dimitrov...

Was on too late for me but journalists who's opinion i respect are saying it is probably Andy's best ever performance, which is massive praise. I was fearful of this match as Dmitrov loves the big crowd and being the centre of attention and normally brings his best on those occasions. With his form improving and Murray a bit sloppy vs Lorenzi, i felt Murray might struggle last night. Great that he brought his best stuff. 

Hopefully Djokovic was watching and getting a little apprehensive... (although i wouldn't count out Monfils and Delpo of upsetting the Murray vs Djokovic final everyone is expecting).  

I watched the match. Murray simply stamped his authority on this match and unusually never took his foot off Dimitrov's throat (so to speak). It was good to see Andy being ruthless for a change. He just never let Dimitrov settle and was hitting winners from all over and the Bulgarian never had an answer. Dimitrov also wasn't great but I would put that down to how well Andy imposed himself. Frighteningly, there was room for improvement as his first serve percentage was not great. Onwards and upwards though and he now stands two wins away from joining an elite club.

10 hours ago, Parklife said:

Dan Evans seems like a really good guy. Funny and candid in interviews and very down to earth. Had some issues in the past where he lacked the focus/work ethic to make the most of his talent. I think Leon Smith has got to take some credit for Evans' resurgence over the last 2 years. He called him into the Davis Cup team from nowhere, which seems to really have focussed his mind on what he can achieve. 

Was on too late for me but journalists who's opinion i respect are saying it is probably Andy's best ever performance, which is massive praise. I was fearful of this match as Dmitrov loves the big crowd and being the centre of attention and normally brings his best on those occasions. With his form improving and Murray a bit sloppy vs Lorenzi, i felt Murray might struggle last night. Great that he brought his best stuff. 

Hopefully Djokovic was watching and getting a little apprehensive... (although i wouldn't count out Monfils and Delpo of upsetting the Murray vs Djokovic final everyone is expecting).  

Aye I agree re: Evans mate. Mental to think he was around 180th in the world little over a year ago. His patience and quality during the longer rallies is what impressed me most. It's something that really does set the top players apart, just waiting on.their opponent making the unforced error. Not a bit of it from him though. 

Murray was simply sensational last night. As good as I've ever seen him play. Fastest serve of his career too. 

Another retiral for Djokovic last night.  That's 3 out of 5 games so far this tournament.  Probably not the worst thing in the world when you're carrying a hand injury to play as little tennis as possible!  He certainly won't be burnt out by the time he gets to the final.

50 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Another retiral for Djokovic last night.  That's 3 out of 5 games so far this tournament.  Probably not the worst thing in the world when you're carrying a hand injury to play as little tennis as possible!  He certainly won't be burnt out by the time he gets to the final.

My concern for Djokovic is that he'll not have had enough tennis to play at his best. Which he'll need something close to in the next two matches. 

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

My concern for Djokovic is that he'll not have had enough tennis to play at his best. Which he'll need something close to in the next two matches. 

Fancy Murray's chances this evening?  I've got a feeling Nishikori might make it pretty tough for him.

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

Fancy Murray's chances this evening?  I've got a feeling Nishikori might make it pretty tough for him.

Murray in straight sets IMO. Nishikori lacks the physicality to compete with Murray and Djokovic. 

A semi-final vs Del Potro won't be so straightforward though. 

14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I've got no concern for DJokovic:lol:

I hope he gets papped