Team for Malta - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Malta

er yir macaroon

I'm sure there are valid reasons for his inclusion as he's been getting picked for years from the last few managers but I just don't get James Morrison. I've seen him give the ball so many times with mis place passing or poor control its bordering ridiculous. Hasn't contributed of note recently going forward recently that I recall. It's probably cause I would love to see bannan get picked more. 

Excellent post above re Malta's level. They will be a better than folk think in terms of organisation and defending.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Malta lost 1-0 home and away to Italy in the Euro 2016 qualifiers. They also only lost 1-0 at home to Croatia. That's not Scottish Championship level.

Italy very rarely win more than 1-0 or 2-1. Its their style. 

Surprised Croatia struggled as they have a creative midfield. Perhaps an off day?

Malta are mince and we should be beating them home and away easily. No excuses.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Italy very rarely win more than 1-0 or 2-1. Its their style. 

Surprised Croatia struggled as they have a creative midfield. Perhaps an off day?

Malta are mince and we should be beating them home and away easily. No excuses.

This is completely correct.

4 hours ago, JECK said:

I'm sure there are valid reasons for his inclusion as he's been getting picked for years from the last few managers but I just don't get James Morrison. I've seen him give the ball so many times with mis place passing or poor control its bordering ridiculous. Hasn't contributed of note recently going forward recently that I recall. It's probably cause I would love to see bannan get picked more. 

Excellent post above re Malta's level. They will be a better than folk think in terms of organisation and defending.

This.

Also relevant for Ritchie, albeit over a shorter period.

There's no doubt that GS will pick Hutton, Naismith, Forrest and the Fletchers. He's shown himself to pick his favourites over other options who are in better form.Fletcher scoring will simply cement his place for the Slovakia game.

While I'm behind the team and hopeful of getting three points I have no faith in Mr No Plan B. He now comes across as being spaced out in his interviews - almost as if he's had a sneaky spliff beforehand. The sharp witty banter seems to have gone.

Edited by Saint4805

Darren fletcher confirmed as being named captain (unfortunately) pretty much guarentees him a start)

Marshall

Patterson Martin Hanley Robertson

Fletcher Morrison

Burke        Naismith.      Snodgrass

Fletcher

(if by 60mins we're not winning id change Ritchie for Burke)

I think if Alan Hutton gets a start, then that's me had it with Strachan. The guy's offered nothing going forward for years and is a bombscare defensively. Not even getting a game in the Championship now. 

And the fact that Gordon Greer is even in the squad depresses me. Would rather they put one of the U21 boys in. 

Remember when I used to look forward to Scotland games. Now I'm just really worried that we'll get beat by Malta. Malta! 

41 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think if Alan Hutton gets a start, then that's me had it with Strachan. The guy's offered nothing going forward for years and is a bombscare defensively. Not even getting a game in the Championship now. 

And the fact that Gordon Greer is even in the squad depresses me. Would rather they put one of the U21 boys in. 

Remember when I used to look forward to Scotland games. Now I'm just really worried that we'll get beat by Malta. Malta! 

Paterson definitely got a case for right back I'd imagine even though I don't really pay close attention how well he's doing defensively. I do think Hutton should be sort of phased out however do we not need at least 2 for each position? Imagine if Paterson picked up an injury this week - I don't believe we are exactly flush with right backs at the moment. I wouldn't be to disappointed if Hutton plays but would expect Paterson to start taking over at some point during the campaign as it will probably be Huttons last.

As for Greer again I'm not to disappointed. I need to be reminded of centre backs that are currently available to us cause I'm struggling. Would we be confident of  any of  the u21 centre backs stepping up at the moment? 

Edited by JECK

IMHO WGS's loyalty to 'proven' players and I suspect a perceived fear of too much too soon going to a young man's heid means that Burke will not start so prepare for disappointment there. I think Burke will come on in second half and score though. If we are struggling to score and penetrate (hopefully not) and Burke does not come on then I'm no playing any more.

I'd go 

Marshall

Paterson   Martin   Hanley   Robertson

Bannan   Fletcher

Forrest         Snodgrass      Burke

Fletcher 

Making sure paterson and robertson get up and offer width as much as possible

Bannan and Flecther best passers of the ball both playing regularly and can turn the ball over to the players ahead as much as possible i think its essential we move the ball around quickly and forward as much as possible especially from the start in gerorgia we were far too slow on the ball and not looking to make things happen

Forrest (i know hasnt been great in blue before but on form now and a different player) all three of those attacking mid started the season on form

Fletcher because Griff or McCormack isnt there to be honest 

1 hour ago, Dandydon said:

To be fair to Steven Fletcher he has scored in our last two competitive matches including an absolute cracker v Poland. 

Precisely and that is all that should matter to us. Too many people are keen to have a pop for their own agenda so that their favourites get a game. For me I couldn't give a crap if the anti-christ scores for us - if he does that is fine with me.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Too many people are keen to have a pop for their own agenda so that their favourites get a game.

pot and kettle comes to mind with your well documented grudge against griffiths. you are probably the only poster on this forum that thinks he shouldn't be starting.

Just now, LewisEDI said:

pot and kettle comes to mind with your well documented grudge against griffiths. you are probably the only poster on this forum that thinks he shouldn't be starting.

I am a Scotland fan only (no club agendas with me). You, I'd describe as a Celtic fan and then a Scotland fan hence your affinity with Griffiths. I've explained to you before and will do so again - I judge players on their international form/strike-rate and Griffiths has yet to even find the net for us even though he has played against weaker opposition as well (like Fletcher has). I have said before that Griffiths (on club form) will get his chance but do I see him as an international goal machine? No I don't as his early stats back that up. If he gets his chance and scores for us I will change my opinion and freely admit I was wrong and I'd be delighted to do that is it would mean we have a goalscorer in our side but I don't hold out that hope but do hope I am wrong.