Hanley

Robertson

D. Fletcher

Bannan

Burke

Griffiths

Snodgrass 

McKay

Fairly attack minded, hence full-back selection. Bannan to set the tempo with the 10 yard passes in front of the back four plus the occasional long pass to wingers. Snodgrass in number 10 role with Burke and McKay bursting down the wings. McKay has far more talent and vision than Anya and probably more pace.

Different team for England, but Malta aren't England.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Assuming no injuries...

Marshall

Paterson

Martin

Hanley

Robertson

D. Fletcher

Bannan

Burke

Griffiths

Snodgrass 

McKay

Fairly attack minded, hence full-back selection. Bannan to set the tempo with the 10 yard passes in front of the back four plus the occasional long pass to wingers. Snodgrass in number 10 role with Burke and McKay bursting down the wings. McKay has far more talent and vision than Anya and probably more pace.

I would go with that but maybe swap D Fletcher for Morrison

8 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Assuming no injuries...

Marshall

Paterson

Martin

Hanley

Robertson

D. Fletcher

Bannan

Burke

Griffiths

Snodgrass 

McKay

I'd agree with that 100 %. Intrigued to see how Bannan does.

2 hours ago, quizzed said:

Marshall

Paterson Martin Hanley Robertson

Fletcher Ritchie

Burke Snodgrass Forrest

Griffiths

Take Ritchie out and put in McArthur and I thinjk you're on to something there... Wouldn't have expected to be at all favourable to Burke, Forrest or Griffiths in for this game at the start of the season, but they're all on great form and deserve the chance.

Not sure what McKay's done to merit a start in a qualifier in that other team.

31 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

Take Ritchie out and put in McArthur and I thinjk you're on to something there... Wouldn't have expected to be at all favourable to Burke, Forrest or Griffiths in for this game at the start of the season, but they're all on great form and deserve the chance.

I think the poster made an intelligent point about why McKay should start ahead of Anya who is a counter attacking player.

McKay plays against 11 man defences with a counter attacking threat every week, he's in the squad and if he's suited to a qualifier then it's this one.

Would be happy to see Forrest start too though, just don't want to see Anya in a match that won't suit him.

----Marshall------

Hutton--Martin--Berra--Robertson

---Fletcher---McCarthur---

Snodgrass---Naismith---Forrest

--------------Griffiths-----------------

Can see this being Strachan's team, would like to see Paterson, Burke, Bannan and give McKay some game time as well.

also wouldn't be surprised to see Steven Fletcher sadly.

If any of the games suit trying new players or something different then it's this one. It will however be a pleasant surprise if Strachan actually does try something new, it's just not his style.

I think I'll decide on whether I'm going to any of the games this campaign based on Strachan's selection policy for this game. I won't be spending any cash to watch the same team as last time fail again. 

12 hours ago, COLT NY said:

McKay is used to playing on the left. The resurgence in Forrest's form is because he is playing on the right again where he showed his best form several years ago. He is more of a head down get to the byeline player and being right footed needs to play there. McKay plays with his head up and could play anywhere in the final third. So it's Forrest or Burke competing for the right wing slot for me, McKay on the left (ultimately he'll be a top class number 10 though).

38 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

McKay is used to playing on the left. The resurgence in Forrest's form is because he is playing on the right again where he showed his best form several years ago. He is more of a head down get to the byeline player and being right footed needs to play there. McKay plays with his head up and could play anywhere in the final third. So it's Forrest or Burke competing for the right wing slot for me, McKay on the left (ultimately he'll be a top class number 10 though).

I'm very interested to see how Ryan Fraser does in the under 21s, as he's comfortable on the left. Forrest definitely has a heavy reliance on the outside of his right foot. Interestingly Burke's goal on Saturday came from the left wing so they could possibly alternate. I've seen little of McKay so I need to remedy that.

Just now, kumnio said:

Strachan will pick this lineup IMO.

Marshall

Hutton Martin Hanley Robertson

Fletcher McCarthur

Snodgrass Naismith Ritchie

Fletcher

Yup he will.

He should however bin Naismith for Burke and Fletcher for Grith. Others have Berra instead or Martin but Id stick with the later 

4 hours ago, Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah said:

Said it in another topic but I really don't think we need to play 2 holding midfielders against Malta. We should be playing 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2. There are plenty of guys who can track back IF Malta get an attack going or can drop deep if we feel our mighty opponents are outnumbering us in midfield.   

Assuming we stick to the 4-2-3-1 line up I'd have one of the 2 be a deeper lying creative player rather than a holding midfielder. Bannan would be my choice but there may be others. I'd go:

----------------Marshall----------------

Paterson-----Martin----Hanley--Robertson ------------Fletcher------Bannan------------

Burke---------Snodgrass------------Anya

-----------------Fletcher------------------

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to up front but I just think Fletcher's a better footballer than Griffiths who has looked pretty lost to me in all his caps so far. Wouldn't complain if it was Griffiths as he's maybe earned a go.

--------------Marshall

Hutton----Hanley----Martin----Robertson

Fletcher

Forrest----Ritchie--Snodgrass---Burke

Griffiths

Too attacking? I dont know but what I do know is if we do not start with a good win then the feeling within the support will be rock bottom.

All those 5 forward players have started the season on fire and I feel must start we have to fit them in.

Some of the other teams picked the players are either defensive or not played much football yet in the season. I would be happy swapping maybe ritchie for bannan .

Marshall

Paterson    Martin        Hanley   Robertson

Fletcher         McArthur 

Richie              Snodgrass               Forrest

Griffiths

59 minutes ago, MikeyGC said:

Marshall

Paterson    Martin        Hanley   Robertson

Fletcher         McArthur 

Richie              Snodgrass               Forrest

Griffiths

Swap Forrest for Burke and you have a deal

36 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So left side of midfield is Mckay, who has no top flight football experience or Anya who probably will never experience  top flight football again.

I'd play Tierney at left back and push Robertson up to midfield. Think we need to start playing players out of their club positions

Shame we didn't use a friendly for that particular experiment.  I don't think sheer pace will be important against Malta as we shouldn't be counter attacking.  I think what we're looking for is the ability to get decent balls into the forward(s)/runners.  I don't think this is a game for Anya's strengths.