2016 Ryder Cup - Page 9 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Ryder Cup

biffer

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Although I imagine that that was probably plan at least initially. But then we lost 4-0 in first session and from that point on, it was probably quite a hard call to put rookies out. The mistake was continuing to leave them out on the Saturday when we started fighting back. Had it been fourballs on Saturday morning instead of foursomes, I think we'd have seen rookies play more.

Just wasnt to be this year. Need to be bolder in future tournaments in terms of form players. We're in an era where you can have plenty of vice captains so it's not as if captains cant take a wealth of experience with them. Dont really follow the logic of experience over form - if experience made them play better, they'd do it every week. As long as you have a vice captain for every foursome/fourball group, you let the form players play.

Apart from Westwood, I don't think we should criticise the European players too much. Most of the matches were pretty close. Willet was the only one who got a real doing and Koepka was 6 under par for the 14 holes that they played. Europe just couldn't quite match up to the barrage of putts that the US kept sinking. On another day maybe 10% of those putts wouldn't have gone in and the score is totally different.