2016 Ryder Cup - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Ryder Cup

biffer

14 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I know what happens if a player gets injured after the competition starts, but I don't know what the rules are regarding a player phoning in sick between the team being announced and the start of the competition. It's a bit much expecting me to know all the rules.;) I know some of the rules very well, but I am still finding others that I haven't heard of before. 

Here's one I found out about for the first time a few weeks ago. Let's see if you know this one . Nae googlin' noo.

You are playing matchplay and both you and your opponent are on the green. You are 12 feet away and he is 10 feet. You putt first and leave yourself a 12 incher. He doesn't concede the putt (miserable fuker), and you just walk up and tap it in. Has any rule been broken? 

You've not broken a rule, but you've lost the hole. By tapping in, i.e. playing next, you've conceded his putt.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You could say that about Sandy Lyle or Richie Ramsay or anybody else who didn't make it. He just didn't play quite well enough. I'm sure he tried his hardest though. 

I'm sure he will feel a wee bit disappointed but he came pretty close. He can console himself by thinking about how much he has improved in the last few years. If anybody had suggested three years ago that Knox would be in contention for a Ryder Cup spot in 2016, most folk would have said "Who?"

I've still got a wee feeling that Stenson might have to pull out. If that happened, I'm not sure if his spot goes to the next on the points table or Clarke gets another pick?

Don't think it'd matter either way. Stetson qualified via the European points list (top four from this list qualify). Next person on this list was Andy Sullivan, so he'd take that slot. Sullivan originally qualified via the World ranking list, so that spot would pass to the next person on that list. Which is Knox.

6 hours ago, Mitre said:

He did play well enough though. Winning 2 PGA titles in a season is fantastic going, especially for a non-American.

Unfortunately he chose not to play in enough European ranking tournaments to make the team on merit through earnings. I think he was a wee bit too blase in thinking he would be a wildcard pick due to his USA form.

In fact I read an interview online where he came across as being a bit of an arse with his expectation comments on being a wildcard pick.

I'll try and dig it out.

Good luck to him all the same. Always good to see a Scot doing well especially over the pond.

You do realise that he was 31st on the European points list? A couple of million points behind Chris Wood, who was the 4th qualifier.

He has played virtually all of his golfing career in the US. His only realistic chance of qualifying was through the World Points List.

4 hours ago, biffer said:

Don't think it'd matter either way. Stetson qualified via the European points list (top four from this list qualify). Next person on this list was Andy Sullivan, so he'd take that slot. Sullivan originally qualified via the World ranking list, so that spot would pass to the next person on that list. Which is Knox.

I think that is probably right.

On 01/09/2016 at 0:34 PM, Angus_Young said:

So what's the answer?

Oh aye, I forgot about that.:lol: Fringo was right. It's a breach of rule 10-1c which covers "order of play". There is no penalty but your opponent can ask you to replay the shot if you play out of turn. This only applies in matchplay.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Oh aye, I forgot about that.:lol: Fringo was right. It's a breach of rule 10-1c which covers "order of play". There is no penalty but your opponent can ask you to replay the shot if you play out of turn. This only applies in matchplay.

First time for everything ! :lol:

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Hmmm interesting. So you can't 'choose' to finish out, even if you say it to the other player?  What I mean is, it would be up to your opponent to grant you that? 

Another rule I've been applying wrongly for 20 years then :)

1 hour ago, Angus_Young said:

Hmmm interesting. So you can't 'choose' to finish out, even if you say it to the other player?  What I mean is, it would be up to your opponent to grant you that? 

Another rule I've been applying wrongly for 20 years then :)

I only found out about it a few weeks ago as well. We were playing a doubles match and one of the guys we were playing pointed it out to us. He only knew about it because somebody pulled him up for it in the previous round. I've asked a load of folk about it since and so far I have only found one person who knew that rule. Well, two now, if we count Fringo. 

I suppose if you ask "can I finish out" and your opponent agrees then that would be OK. 

A few days after I found out about it, I used it in a bounce game with my mates just for a laugh. It caused a fair bit of discussion. And a good few swear words.:lol:

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I only found out about it a few weeks ago as well. We were playing a doubles match and one of the guys we were playing pointed it out to us. He only knew about it because somebody pulled him up for it in the previous round. I've asked a load of folk about it since and so far I have only found one person who knew that rule. Well, two now, if we count Fringo

I suppose if you ask "can I finish out" and your opponent agrees then that would be OK. 

A few days after I found out about it, I used it in a bounce game with my mates just for a laugh. It caused a fair bit of discussion. And a good few swear words.:lol:

Of course I should be counted !:(

(lucky guess really).:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12 September 2016 at 11:36 PM, Orraloon said:

Davis Love's first 3 picks are Fowler. Kooch and JB Holmes. He still has one more pick to make. I think it's between Bubba and Furyk for the last place in the team.

Ryan Moore is last US wild card and after watching him last night he's a good choice.

WTF:

http://www.golf.com/extra-spin/ryder-cup-danny-willetts-brother-calls-us-golfers-classless-bastards

What on earth was his brother thinking? Danny will be lucky to see action before Sunday IMO - this is like a red rag to a bull. I know European players say they revel in the partisan atmosphere, but I think we'd actually prefer to keep the crowd pretty quiet. Firing them up with this trash talk is idiocy. 

If Clarke was unsure how/when to play Willett, Im not sure this does him or the team any favours.

On 26/09/2016 at 4:20 PM, dandydunn said:

Can't wait for the weekend now. Off to play Tain open on Sunday then spend a night in the boozer watching the golf. 

Enjoy, course is playing well at the moment.

Where are you staying? Tain's not exactly a hive of activity on a Sunday night!!

8 minutes ago, ibelieve!!! said:

Enjoy, course is playing well at the moment.

Where are you staying? Tain's not exactly a hive of activity on a Sunday night!!

I've no idea to be honest,onlyvthing we need is a tv to watch the golf and a few beers and we'll be happy. 

Playing royal Dornoch on Monday,so don't want to be a complete wreck. 

3 hours ago, Donaldo87 said:

Enjoyed reading / watching this :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/37514437

Brilliant!

Exemplifies Ryder Cup. Love how the Europeans are having a good laugh about it all, even before the guy sinks the putt. I just cant ever see the Americans dealing with such a situation the same way.

Americans are hurting though. You can see it some of the players. Almost feel sorry for the players in a way - European wins have meant they can come into these events more relaxed than the Americans and it shows.

Cannot wait for it to kick off. It's funny how on paper I thought American team looked really good and European team a little lacking, yet when the pairings are made, there's something extra about the Europeans. 

Was looking forward to it for ages now and after 30 minutes trying to watch it on tv here, I had to turn it off. Loudmouth oafs at their best. Screaming Yoooo esss a before the club has even struck the bloody ball. Not to mention the coverage from the studio team. Disgusting.