National Anthem - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

National Anthem

Stella Artois 1366

Ah will ya stop and catch a grip of yourself.

If my countrymen rejected the chance to have United Ireland for example by democratic vote (which is a big possibility as we are conservative enough by the way), I wouldn't then somehow renounce my support for my country's national football team which has nothing to do with the political situation on our Island.

It's ridiculous to base your support for your national football team dependent on the political status of your nation.

depends on personal feelings irish. none of this means i would not support scotland in a football game, but i wont sing FoS and I have far less enthusiasm for my national teams after today.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on personal feelings irish. none of this means i would not support scotland in a football game, but i wont sing FoS and I have far less enthusiasm for my national teams after today.

I can definitely understand you not bothering with the national anthem. Our anthem would be totally redundant if we rejected the chance to end partition of our country. It would be daft singing our anthem if we voted no to uniting Ireland.

I think when you see your team lining out next month some of the rawness of today's disappointing vote result will disappear and you'll get some of the gra back. Hopefully both our national teams get to France and we'll have a proper piss up :ok:

That the best you can come up with? :lol:

That's right I'm from the REPUBLIC (Do you know what that is?) of Ireland not some region of Britain that has the audacity to still call itself a country this morning.

Dont listen to him.Your from a real country full of proud irismen and women.The majority of scots are arse lickers to the british establishment.sad but true.

Your fans are quite entitled to rip the pish right out of us.

C'mon ta f**k lads....im with my countryman Irish on this one.

As one of your fellow T.A comrades said in an earlier post - ye didnt reject the the indepence vote.....other scots did but NOT ye

For those who wanted independence , despite the NO vote - ye still believe in a YES, ye still believe in the words of FoS surely!

If ye voted NO then maybe it wud be odd to sing FoS....but the T.A didnt vote NO going on what ive read here.

Yere still proud scotsmen who shud believe in your country just as ye did before last night ever happened.

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Dont listen to him.Your from a real country full of proud irismen and women.The majority of scots are arse lickers to the british establishment.sad but true.

Your fans are quite entitled to rip the pish right out of us.

To be honest Laud I'd be lying if I said that was the case in Ireland. We've a very anti-Republican media and conservative way about us I'm sorry to say. I wouldn't be confidant that a majority vote for a United Ireland would pass in the morning I'm sorry to say.

I'm not on here with any sense of one upmanship because every Union Jack waving knuckle dragger Unionist in the north of our partitioned country is celebrating today. This result is a blow for us too in hoping to see our country united.

Edited by irish

I honestly don't see how I could sing it. Rise and be a nation again?? Not this time round so it certainly would ring hollow to me.

What about just chanting 'Scotland, Scotland' over whoever they get to sing it?

I'm absolutely sick to my stomach with the result yesterday & feel robbed by the deceit of more powers, which i think swung a lot of the Labour voters who were going to go yes in the last couple of days.

It will get easier though over time & i still firmly believe we will be independent one day (hopefully in 2029, at the next one!). I for one will be signing the anthem, as i know with a clear concious that me, my wife, my dad, my mum, my brother & his wife all voted YES.

I'm absolutely sick to my stomach with the result yesterday & feel robbed by the deceit of more powers, which i think swung a lot of the Labour voters who were going to go yes in the last couple of days.

It will get easier though over time & i still firmly believe we will be independent one day (hopefully in 2029, at the next one!). I for one will be signing the anthem, as i know with a clear concious that me, my wife, my dad, my mum, my brother & his wife all voted YES.

Spot on mate. Those that voted yes should actually sing the song with more gusto whereas those that voted no have no cause.reason/logic to sing the song at all.

C'mon ta f**k lads....im with my countryman Irish on this one.

As one of your fellow T.A comrades said in an earlier post - ye didnt reject the the indepence vote.....other scots did but NOT ye

For those who wanted independence , despite the NO vote - ye still believe in a YES, ye still believe in the words of FoS surely!

If ye voted NO then maybe it wud be odd to sing FoS....but the T.A didnt vote NO going on what ive read here.

Yere still proud scotsmen who shud believe in your country just as ye did before last night ever happened.

Thanks for your post, it's been a hard day.

I don't think I can bring myself to sing it again.

I promised myself before the Germany game that this would be the case so it's not a knee jerk reaction on my part.

MY WORDS EXACTLY..................

I have given this a lot of thought over the last six months.

I understand people voting NO.

Purely on a personal point and the meaning of the anthem to myself I can not bring myself to sign this EVER again.

iam sad it has come to this but the country has spoken and to me this anthem is meaningless.

Yours

Gary

Loyal Scotland supporter.

p.s

Iam a man of my word and this is not a rant.

Yesterday you were happy to sing FoS while under Westminster rule. You were probably happy to sing it a few years ago before a referendum was ever announced.

Today is no different from yesterday, apart from you and many feel hurt.

Man up and get a grip. The lyrics to the song are still applicable - it just didn't happen this time.

I can see your point of view entirely.

For me this was a hard decision to make,but one I have made purely for personal reasons.

Would not blame anybody for singing it though.

FFS Its only a song !

We sing Do a Deer at all of our games.

There are more important things in life.

Im so proud that my dad was able to struggle to the polling station to vote Yes in Motherwell and contribute to an overall Yes vote for North Lanarkshire in a consituency that on a regular basis votes Labour no matter how poor the candidiate is and is now represented by the likes of Frank Roy at Westminster.

My dad wont be here at the next election.

I dont think we will get an opportunity for Independence again in my lifetime.

Lets not turn on each other but never forget what Scottish Labour have sucked out of our country and given us very little other than a rather large bill to pay for their expenses.

We should unfurl a flag that says "we are the 45"

we will get our independence, we will break from london rule and we have changed politics for the better!

if you voted no, please dont go and follow our national team, please go and watch england, wales and northern ireland since you shat it

NO voters are as Scottish as you or any other YES voter, they may have a different political outlook than you but that doesn't mean they aren't entitled to go to Scotland games and support their country. As for the National Anthem it should always remained as Scotland The Brave. I didn't have the vote as i live outwith Scotland, if i had i would have voted YES but that doesn't make me any more Scottish than my brother, a NO voter. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns.

NO voters are as Scottish as you or any other YES voter, they may have a different political outlook than you but that doesn't mean they aren't entitled to go to Scotland games and support their country. As for the National Anthem it should always remained as Scotland The Brave. I didn't have the vote as i live outwith Scotland, if i had i would have voted YES but that doesn't make me any more Scottish than my brother, a NO voter. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns.

Agree with Kiza here. You don't have to be a nationalist to be Scottish. They're two different things and the majority of no voters who aren't knuckle dragging billy britains felt it was in Scotland's best interest so it's not fair to paint them all with the one brush.

That said they let their country down today big time and can have zero zero complaints when daddy Westminster reneges on promises in the future.

This

National anthem lyrics always have been and always will be a sensitive issue. Bosnia, Kosovo and San Marino have no lyrics but are no less passionate than us. Neither does the Spanish anthem yet the Marcha Real goes down well (remember you could have heard a pin drop at Hampden four years ago). How about Highland Cathedral without lyrics, like it was originally written?