National Anthem - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

National Anthem

Stella Artois 1366

Don't really understand people not going to football or not wanting to sing fos.people are over thinking it.nothing has really changed.it never really represent the whole Scottish viewpoint anyway even before the idea of the referendum.there has always been them and us.

how can we say nothing has changed

just as the greetin about how the union jack would have to change after a yes

we are no left with the situation after a no that some our national symbols particularly the anthem are now tarnished

that the yes campaign didn't try and that during the campaign is to their credit but doesn't mean hasn't happened. Things have now changed

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live the rest of ur days thinking about what may have been or what might be in the future.everyone else gets up for work,gets the kids out there door for school etc and doesn't give much of a thought on a daily basis.get a fuckin grip of yourself.I'm as disappointed as anyone but life goes on and we do our best to get on with it.it's a fuckin football team,an entertainment, a pass time.most footballers are over paid jakey wee pricks anyway.fos is a folk song for which any could in theory be used as a national anthem.but as the man says don't punish the team when we have our biggest chance since 98 to be at a finals again.

Edited by allyc

Will be at the games like most others and will continue to support the team as much as I can but I wont promise to sing FoS again, especially 2nd verse. I wont criticise others for singing it but it's not going to sit comfortably with me. Maybe that will change as the games get closer but it sticks in my craw that we bleat on about being a nation again, only to say No at the first opportunity.

The national anthems at the England game will be intolerable - if their fans have any sense, they'll be going nuts as FoS is sung. Hard to stomach.

95% of people who voted no didn't do it out of the love for the union but for what they thought was better for Scotland, it was too easy to vote yes without thinking about the ramifications like a lot of yes voters did.

I have hardly heard a valid reason for anybody voting yes other than the idealistic view. I would have flipping loved to vote yes but the figures didn't add up. I am not saying there arnt valid reasons so feel free to tell me without making the usual empty statements that iv heard so far from most people.

The amount of people who have voted based on their football allegiance is sickening. Rangers, Celtic and Scotland fans on the whole have voted very predictably. If it makes me a traitor for voting what's best for my family then so be it.

The independence argument didn't add up one bit, from the inflated oil revenues, to the uncertain currency union which isn't as simple as using the pound and I would pray if you voted you would know this, to the very unlikely entry to NATO & the EU. The threat to walk away from the debt was embarrassing as well, I would be embarrassed to call myself Scottish if we done that. Jobs would have been lost as well 100%

The anger should be aimed at those who gave the flimsiest proposals to the country because had the case been stronger it would undoubtedly have been a YES vote and trust me I would have been the first to do it. Instead the people who fucked this up are being portrayed as heroes. IT would 100% have been a yes vote had they done a better job of their policies instead of aiming for the brain dead, blind faith and young voters.

Independence will come in time 100%

Do not divide the TA like the rest of the country has already been divided.

I know most will abuse me but at least its off my chest

£uck me gently, I'm gobsmacked that there are people on here who believe all those Westminster scare stories. too wee, too poor and obviously too stupid.

Edited by Grianaig Jacobite

On reflection after a few days thinking about it I am gutted about the outcome, I just can't hide my disappointment.

Where do we go from here as a 'country'? (more a colony in my opinion to be honest) Personally, on Friday morning, I lost a whole lot of hope, spirit and enthusiasm. Just when I had properly engaged in politics for the first time and seen this bright new light and opportunity for Scotland it disappeared. The idea of independence excited me greatly.

Now I feel like the majority of Scotland has no desire to improve things for ourselves or just genuinely can't be bothered having to actually take an interest.

Eyes shut, back in box, carry on without having a flipping scooby what's going on again politically. It's all rather uninspiring.

Scotland is the only place in the world that will moan like f**k about everything but not have the bottle to do anything about it, between football and this I'd say we were the worlds biggest bottlers. We wait until our biggest moments to mess things up. Definitely not Scotland the Brave anyway which I believed whilst growing up. I thought before this actually came up when I was younger that presented with this chance (which I never thought we'd get) we the proud Scots would stand up and take things into our own hands. I thought it would be a landslide win for YES. I certainly never thought OVER HALF the country would VOTE AGAINST our nations independence anyway especially with our proud history.

I know some people are genuinely happy with the way things were/are at the moment (I understand Farmers voting No etc even if I do think it's maybe short sighted from them I get that) or how things were/are personally for themselves but the VAST majority of instances for voting No I've saw have been from people who said we weren't capable or couldn't manage or were scared which is truly frightening to hear.

Who's brainwashed people into thinking we aren't capable FFS? We have EVERYTHING we need to be a success, I didn't get the whole people being to scared to 'risk' it argument, personally I think staying in a country that has no real control over itself is MUCH more of a risk. Maybe that's just me though. I think we will see some big changes for the worse that we have no say on now.

Shite times for this country. Possibly the shittest few days of my 22 year old life as silly and sad as that may sound. I'm also disgusted by the media, referendum or not it shows that the people at the top feed news to people that suits their own messed up agenda. The official BT campaign should also hang their heads in shame, scaring and threatening pensioners amongst some other things are truly the lowest of low. They had the establishment to back up their lies though conveniently.

Looking around to other countries and finding myself extremely extremely extremely embarrassed right now, I mean there's Ireland just across the water, they faced genuine resistance in the way of them being able to "be a nation again", but they went and did it because they knew they could do it, they fought and died for it ironically enough. All we faced was the least convincing embarrassingly negative political campaign possibly ever seen which basically said to us "careful now lads"... and what did we do? We shat our wee pants. We couldn't even cross enough boxes with a pencil FFS what a pathetic excuse of a 'nation'. There's little tiny Malta with nowhere near what we have celebrating their Independence Day yesterday and partying away..

Controversial but No voters still think we can be this proud wee quirky nation because we can still dress up in kilts and play the bagpipes, 90 minute Scots etc, but when it comes to demanding the right to have our own powers and make politicians accountable to us (what being a nation/country should be about, that's all it was at the end of the day, not this big scary thing people were making out) we don't want it. We'd rather let someone else do the hard work and thinking for us. It's not about Scottishness/Britishness it's about wanting to be able to influence any change to the way we live!

The big saving grace is the turnout, atleast 85 percent made their voices heard. I am genuinely 100 percent proud of that. But of the outcome I'm anything but. But that's the democratic will of the people of Scotland right now and I accept that, I know I am in the MINORITY right now in saying all this.

We've became a colony or a region of the UK, we had the chance to change that for the 1st time and to be a country but we chose not to. A colony by definition is a territory (Scotland) under the immediate political control of a state, distinct from the home territory of the sovereign. (England)

England controls us. What THE GOOD PEOPLE OF ENGLAND want is what WE get. Westminster controls our parliament. Our parliament survives off of grants and 'devolved powers' from another one that controls it. THEY decide what WE can do. They're already going back on everything they've said, they've lied, but now we are POWERLESS to change it as we are such a small irrelevant part of the UK. We have a voice of 5 million in a Union of 65 million. I think it really hit home when reading comments on social media from English people saying that we belong to them, how can we argue that? We can't.

I'm sorry for the novel and being an opinionated wee tadger but I love Scotland and feel like and know we can do so much better than this. I want Scotland to be a NORMAL country. YES reached 45% we are not toooo far off it, it's a large minority, it won't go off the agenda just like how the previous devolution ones never.

We and I may never see another referendum in our lifetimes, maybe not for another 100 year but I'll live in hope and right up until the day I die I'll try to do my upmost best to work on helping Scotland towards Independence and in my opinion a fairer society.

In the meantime I'll come together with everyone else after the NO, I'll hope the 55 percent stand up and be counted to make Westminster accountable to improve things for Scotland and our people and get on with my life.

I don't have much faith of that happening or of any change here though I'm afraid to say. Well change for the better anyway..

Which feels horrible after turning down such a huge huge opportunity. I hope nobody regrets their vote but I have a feeling that in 10 year time there'll be a higher proportion of Scots claiming they voted Yes than the percentage of Celtic fans claiming they were in Seville..

Well said young man, best post on here.

I was going to join the silent minority and not sing FOS. But I've had a few days to get over my dissapointment and now believe we should sing it louder than ever. But, if I was a NO voting Scotland supporter I couldn't possible sing the anthem as I would be a hypocrite.

Looking forward to the first rugby international at Murrayfiled tho' that should be a laugh!

Can't believe what I'm reading.

If you voted YES then surely you have more reason to attend the game and sing the national anthem, no? Also, won't it be more embarrassing if no one shows up and no one sings, than a full house all belting out FoS?

Scotland have a good chance of qualifying here, let the players know that despite the disappointing result in the referendum you're still behind them. The important thing is that the support is not divided, and I fear that that's exactly what's happened (and will continue to happen the longer this drags on).

I'll be singing the national anthem, don't give a solitary shit if everyone around me is silent.

Can't believe what I'm reading.

If you voted YES then surely you have more reason to attend the game and sing the national anthem, no? Also, won't it be more embarrassing if no one shows up and no one sings, than a full house all belting out FoS?

Scotland have a good chance of qualifying here, let the players know that despite the disappointing result in the referendum you're still behind them. The important thing is that the support is not divided, and I fear that that's exactly what's happened (and will continue to happen the longer this drags on).

I'll be singing the national anthem, don't give a solitary shit if everyone around me is silent.

Of course the support is divided. There's Yes voters, No voters and people who don't really care.

FoS will be an utter embarrassment. The whole world knows that we shat it when we had the chance to actually be a nation again.

We are effectively a laughing stock across the planet and singing this song is like being too stupid to notice everyone else at the party is laughing at you.

I will not be singing it.

Of course the support is divided. There's Yes voters, No voters and people who don't really care.

FoS will be an utter embarrassment. The whole world knows that we shat it when we had the chance to actually be a nation again.

We are effectively a laughing stock across the planet and singing this song is like being too stupid to notice everyone else at the party is laughing at you.

Totally

I'm going one better and wont be there for the forseeable future

We will be an embarrassment if we have your attitude....... It's a game of football FFS. No voters, yes voters? Naw. Tartan Army? Aye!

Its our fukking song, we voted for freedom, and we lost because some toothless/frightened/lied to folks voted the other way. Not our fault nor is it the fault of the team.

By NOT singing you are just giving up and saying "OK you won".

Fuk sake sing it with more passion than ever before.

Stop being so defeatist , we will rise and be that nation again.

:ok:

If FoS is regarded as a Nationalist anthem, we should never have been singing it in the first place.

However, we've been doing just that for a number of years now and it has become Scotland's anthem, no matter your politics.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't continue.

AllyC, your point is?

I was initially not up for singing it any more but seeing how things have developed in the days since I believe it is a statement of where we are now and where we are undoubtedly going - just maybe not as fast as some of us would have liked.

I'll keep on singing it.

Edited by gonzoal

FFS everyone. Do you think England supporters are 100% royalists? Of course they aren't but they still sing GSTQ. There are many such national anthems around the world that the lyrics may not go down best with a lot of supporters but guess what? They all still sing it. Why should Flower of Scotland be any different?

Just bear this in mind people - we always hear the players (past and present) saying what an honour and a lift hearing the national anthem being sung by us with great passion. Do you want to water down that element of match day and deprive our players of a much-needed boost? And for why? Because you are throwing a hissy fit? If you really, truly want and believe in Independence you will boom it out even more as a show of your own defiance and belief - unless you are now admitting to yourself that it will never happen?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

FFS everyone. Do you think England supporters are 100% royalists? Of course they aren't but they still sing GSTQ. There are many such national anthems around the world that the lyrics may not go down best with a lot of supporters but guess what? They all still sing it. Why should Flower of Scotland be any different?

Just bear this in mind people - we always hear the players (past and present) saying what an honour and a lift hearing the national anthem being sung by us with great passion. Do you want to water down that element of match day and deprive our players of a much-needed boost? And for why? Because you are throwing a hissy fit? If you really, truly want and believe in Independence you will boom it out even more as a show of your own defiance and belief - unless you are now admitting to yourself that it will never happen?

I am totally agreed with you Caig..it is my same point view..now as never before it's needed to scream it to restart everything..

AllyC, your point is?

I was initially not up for singing it any more but seeing how things have developed in the days since I believe it is a statement of where we are now and where we are undoubtedly going - just maybe not as fast as some of us would have liked.

I'll keep on singing it.