Daytime drinking in Vienna on the Saturday? - Page 2 - Slovakia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Daytime drinking in Vienna on the Saturday?

lyonhibs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be in Vienna from Friday night (flying from Bristol) and staying there a few days so will aim for the Highlander pub for the Lithuania game too. 

Looks like I'm going to be a Barry no mates as my pals that were going to come over don't look like they will anymore. If anyone is about earlier on Saturday keep us posted on pubs and I'll come and gatecrash!

Cheers to those that have replied so far - I'll let the guy who has the Highlander know that there will def be by the look of things at least a dozen / 20 of us there but could be more. I'll ask about the discounted beer and post if he responds. If you hear of others likely to go let me know and I will relay. He emailed me this morning:-

"HI Johhny
Thanks for the reply. Regardless of the number we will plan for a right ol session at the Highlander. You will see yourself when you get here that the pub has a great atmosphere and you will comfortably see the the game.
Look forward to meeting you

James"

BrissieBairn,- Three of us arrive about 11.30 Saturday at Vienna airport - we will have a quick pint there as flying in from different places and plan to dump our stuff at the Radisson which is right in the centre at 1.30 to 2pm (I know the Radisson sounds a bit pompous but we got a stupid cheap rate 6 months ago!!!). If you want to meet up with us at the bar there between 1.30 to 2pm Saturday be great - we'll just have the one there as it's expensive before heading out and ending at the Highlaner for the match. Obviously open invite !

41 minutes ago, WeeJohmny said:

BrissieBairn,- Three of us arrive about 11.30 Saturday at Vienna airport - we will have a quick pint there as flying in from different places and plan to dump our stuff at the Radisson which is right in the centre at 1.30 to 2pm (I know the Radisson sounds a bit pompous but we got a stupid cheap rate 6 months ago!!!). If you want to meet up with us at the bar there between 1.30 to 2pm Saturday be great - we'll just have the one there as it's expensive before heading out and ending at the Highlaner for the match. Obviously open invite !

Great, I'll try and head along then and hopefully get you there. Is it the Radisson on Herrengasse? I can see it's about 15 mins walk from the Highlander but there is another Radisson a bit further out, around 30 mins walk. I assume it's the first one as it looks more central. I'm staying about a 20 min walk from the Highlander and it's about the same time to get to the Radisson on Herrengasse.

Byrne2711 - cannae remember exact flight times but pals arriving at about the time you are from Edinburgh on the Saturday and me about half an hour later from Stansted so we're meeting at "Johnann's Biereck" pub in the airport - been there before - it's a cracking pub by airport standards and even allows smoking. Plan to have just one there (OK maybe 2) then taxi to centre - feel free to meet us there and cadge a ride ! 

All welcome !

16 hours ago, WeeJohmny said:

Byrne2711 - cannae remember exact flight times but pals arriving at about the time you are from Edinburgh on the Saturday and me about half an hour later from Stansted so we're meeting at "Johnann's Biereck" pub in the airport - been there before - it's a cracking pub by airport standards and even allows smoking. Plan to have just one there (OK maybe 2) then taxi to centre - feel free to meet us there and cadge a ride ! 

All welcome !

I'm in from Gatwick. But will probably join yous for a bit ?

On 28 September 2016 at 0:12 AM, WeeJohmny said:

Yup ! It is the one on Herrengasse. I think the other one is closed now. See you there. We will be kilted with the scotland away tops - the one that looks like a deckchair !!!

Anyone else more than welcome. 

Ok great, I'm sure I'll be able to spot you! I won't have a kilt but I'll be kitted out in either the current home strip or I may wheel out the old white one with the splash of purple from the 90's if I can find it and if I can still fit in it!

On 29/09/2016 at 0:15 AM, WeeJohmny said:

All welcome !

I arrive at 11:25. Bit later than I thought! 

HoddenGray. See earlier posts. Me and my two pals get in Sat morning will be in bar of Radisson about 1.30 to 2. Prob just the one there as no cheap but BrissieBairn says will meet us there and you are more than welcome. Plan will be - well no plan except beer and be in Highlander well in time for match. 

Byrne2711 - we will still be in Airport bar "johann biereck" when you arrive. Im on eurowings stansted flight arrives about same time as yours. Pals on queasy jet from ed gets in a little earlier.  Expect we will be there until 12.15 / 12.30 ish.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 9:06 AM, lyonhibs said:

Anyone else arriving on the Saturday in Vienna? 

We'll be indulging in a spot of daytime drinking before getting a late afternoon train to Bratislava in good time to find wherever everyone is for the Lithuania game.

Any Vienna recommendations? I've been before, but only with wife + mother, so priorities were, errrrr, slightly different.

Lovely place though.

Charlie P's i am sure will show it . It is an irish bar but unlike the vast majority of irish bars it is a decent bar and not a rip off. YBIG will likely base themselves there again in November for our game though personally found it a wee  bit smokey and tend not to go to irish bars when abroad

As have been contacted to ask which Highlander (as there are two) - it is the one per Malky24's earlier post at Garnisongasse 3. The guy is putting on specials etc for us. 

http://www.highlanderpub.at/index.html

Me and my pals are meeting up with a couple of lone foot soldiers between 1.30 and 2pm on the Saturday when we drop our bags at the Radisson at Herrengasse 12, Vienna 1010. Only having one there as it's pricey but anyone welcome to join us / kick off from there. Suggestions of pubs / route between there and Highlander would be appreciated.   

4 sleeps !

On 19/09/2016 at 3:19 PM, malky24 said:

Us too, just round the corner from our hotel.

Two more will try and find this bar anyone got address for it . A street map would be ideal . Cheers in advance . We are staying at the Fleming deluxe hotel if that's any where near it .

Edited by castle douglas mcfc
For got what I wanted to say

Currently in Charlie P's heading to the Highlander in a couple of hours. Very good beer selection here.

Be warned, there are 2 "Highlander" pubs in Vienna. You're after the one right by Votivkirche. Search for "highlander Scottish pub" not just "Highlander"