A general Election? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Now Mrs May is the new PM should we have a General election?

The Tories were elected and everyone knew we Dave would step down and we would haave another PM before the next election, it has just happened a wee bit sooner.

Now normally I am all for a General Election to get the Tories out , however in Scotland the SNP are bound to lose around 10 -20 seats and probably be replaced by the Tories, the Unionists wont be caught off guard again like they were in 2015, and we saw the Holyrude result.

I believe a General Election will hinder Scotland's Independence. so therefore against my better judgement, to do the right thing, i dont want one.  I am also campaigned and leafleted out.

Nicola didnt go for an Election after Alex Resigned and neither did Broon after Bliar went.,...  

So i dont think May will risk it...  

The Tories can only lose seats to UKIP I think

Thoughts....

The SNP, who already hold virtually every seat in Scotland, have nothing to gain from a GE.  Whether they would lose many though is highly debatable.  While they're continuing to poll around 50% they're still going to win most FPTP seats. 

Of course there should be.

Compared to May 2015 we have a future that we didn't vote for, a leader that we didn't vote for and an increasingly unrepresentative political system in the UK that militates against Scotland's interests.

Let's get to f*ck out of this union. It doesn't work for us and it doesn't represent Scotland's views either.

And Ruth Davidson knows that's the case better that anyone.

Edited by Barney Rubble

3 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The snp would lose banff and buchan also moray straight off the bat,,, i think the snp would lose a dozen seats or more so no i dont think it would be good to have a GE just now

Proof for that ? 

"My mates think ..........." isn't good enough.

And not in everyone in those areas is concerned with the fishing industry you know. 

1 hour ago, Mee said:

With fixed term parliament it requires 60% of MP's to call an early election. It's not in the conservative or labours interest to do this so no I can't see another election

Aye. Only UKIP would gain from a snap election,  maybe the LibDems.  No way do Labour want one given their current shambles...

31 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Proof for that ? 

"My mates think ..........." isn't good enough.

And not in everyone in those areas is concerned with the fishing industry you know. 

I have been in touch with Local councillors,my MSP and MP here is a response from one  when i asked

"Aye aye #### hows it going? just a quick message regarding the snp support in the area,, from where i am standing it seems to be collapsing due to the snp stance on returning to the EU,, we need to make this aware to our mp/msp as we will need to act fast if we are to hold this corner,,, have you witnessed the same reaction?

his response 

"Yes getting the same message. Some politicians are burying their heads in the sand and do not see the change of mood. 

Strip out the votes to remain on the back of thinking this would deliver independence Scotland would have been out.

All is good because a fishing leader is going to negotiate on behalf of the industry. The same one that steered the industry onto the rocks, in my opinion."

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I have been in touch with Local councillors,my MSP and MP here is a response from one  when i asked

"Aye aye #### hows it going? just a quick message regarding the snp support in the area,, from where i am standing it seems to be collapsing due to the snp stance on returning to the EU,, we need to make this aware to our mp/msp as we will need to act fast if we are to hold this corner,,, have you witnessed the same reaction?

his response 

"Yes getting the same message. Some politicians are burying their heads in the sand and do not see the change of mood. 

Strip out the votes to remain on the back of thinking this would deliver independence Scotland would have been out.

All is good because a fishing leader is going to negotiate on behalf of the industry. The same one that steered the industry onto the rocks, in my opinion."

Wow that settles it then. A real scientific method employed ............ a couple of e-mails ;) 

Nah, I'm not buying it. 

This is of course coming from the same guy who in the past has claimed that the Scottish Green Party are a dangerous radical movement that must be stopped :lol:

Your up there with Cllr Terry Kelly in credibility mate.

And watch what happens when you lose the many hard working Eastern Europeans in the canning industry in a couple of years time. 

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Aye. Only UKIP would gain from a snap election,  maybe the LibDems.  No way do Labour want one given their current shambles...

There's a big part of me that thinks that the PLP might be keen to force a GE just so that they can prove that Corbyn is unelectable.  The only thing that makes me think that won't happen is that will mean that a load of them will lose their seats, either via reselection, or via the ballot box.  They won't want to give up their cushy number.

13 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

his response 

you need to stop worrying here, the support fro the SNP will return once they see that Westminster has no intention of helping Scotland. 

21 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Wow that settles it then. A real scientific method employed ............ a couple of e-mails ;) 

Nah, I'm not buying it. 

This is of course coming from the same guy who in the past has claimed that the Scottish Green Party are a dangerous radical movement that must be stopped :lol:

Your up there with Cllr Terry Kelly in credibility mate.

And watch what happens when you lose the many hard working Eastern Europeans in the canning industry in a couple of years time. 

I said the green party were a bunch of hippy nutters never mention any of the above you stated,,i honestly hope i am wrong but it will either be close or the snp will lose banff and buchan,,, the will be a massive swing from the snp i can bet my house on it

19 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I said the green party were a bunch of hippy nutters never mention any of the above you stated,,i honestly hope i am wrong but it will either be close or the snp will lose banff and buchan,,, the will be a massive swing from the snp i can bet my house on it

So with Brexit are the fishing fleet going to dredge the depths of the ocean again, pushing species to extinction?

If May has any sense she will call one

Labour is going to have to deselect a lot of MPs

Tory majority with UKIP wiping out Labour which she may not get in a couple of years

24 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

If May has any sense she will call one

Labour is going to have to deselect a lot of MPs

Tory majority with UKIP wiping out Labour which she may not get in a couple of years

Get the logic. Just do not see it happening though await the labour contest first. Anyone got a timetable fir that? 

Looks like it will be anytime before conference in September which is a farce considering the political climate.

The SNP should be placed as the official opposition in the interim to at least try to hold the Tories to account

They have also changed the voting rules to put off poor people from voting in it 

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Looks like it will be anytime before conference in September which is a farce considering the political climate.

The SNP should be placed as the official opposition in the interim to at least try to hold the Tories to account

They have also changed the voting rules to put off poor people from voting in it 

Complete farce. Lets get out. ( do we need to take Alan? )

1 minute ago, mariokempes56 said:

Complete farce. Lets get out. ( do we need to take Alan? )

I'm confident Alan will be a Yes voter come the next referendum

Only a complete masochist will vote No

1 hour ago, sjd1972 said:

So with Brexit are the fishing fleet going to dredge the depths of the ocean again, pushing species to extinction?

What instead of the dutch, spanish or french?strange that they can fish parts of our waters that we can not,,,the scottish fleet is the most environmentally contious fleet in the EU and they are treated like shit  

19 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

What instead of the dutch, spanish or french?strange that they can fish parts of our waters that we can not,,,the scottish fleet is the most environmentally contious fleet in the EU and they are treated like shit  

Nice whataboutery there.  Take it you haven't read Graeme Goodall's letter to the National then?

2 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

Nice whataboutery there.  Take it you haven't read Graeme Goodall's letter to the National then?

Yes i did,, fishermen are not blameless and have contributed to the industries demise,, there are three factors CFP, the quota system(should be nationalised) and the fishermen themselves