TITP 2016 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 pronounced dead within an hour of the festival officially starting. 

Fighting at the gates and probably more powder than Colombia in there right now. 

Place is a disaster every year now. 

Should it be cancelled for a year or two?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

it's obviously popular so i can't see it getting banned.  hate to say it but there will always be these types of incidents at festivals.  happens the world over, it's not unique to TITP.

I went to TITP for 8 years on the spin from early 2000s to late 2000s and barely saw a fight until the last year. My last year there was a stabbing in our camp zone and that was enough for me. 

Turned into a nedfest. Used to be full of folk who loved their music/were in bands/were into the local music scene in the towns/cities they are from. 

Ellis decided to chase the money and attract bellends to see the likes of Calvin Harris and Avicci. It's not even comparable to the cracking festival it was a decade ago.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

I went to TITP for 8 years on the spin from early 2000s to late 2000s and barely saw a fight until the last year. My last year there was a stabbing in our camp zone and that was enough for me. 

Turned into a nedfest. Used to be full of folk who loved their music/were in bands/were into the local music scene in the towns/cities they are from. 

Ellis decided to chase the money and attract bellends to see the likes of Calvin Harris and Avicci. It's not even comparable to the cracking festival it was a decade ago.

i've not been since 2011 but thought 2008-11 were absolutely fine.  You do hear it's become a ned fest..but i'm never sure if that's just the likes of me getting older..  unfortunate if it has.  it's definitely got an image problem now though that needs addressed, i'd agree there.

My daughter is there and I can assure you she is far from a ned. I texted her to make sure she is ok. Her tent has collapsed with the wind and she and her pal are too hungover to fix it. I reckon thats as wild as it gets for the majority of people there, though I am not naive enough to think there is not an issue with drugs.  You will get that anywhere though. 

It may be the case its become a victim of its own success and is too large to manage effectively . In that is the case they should reduce the number of tickets or increase the price. 

53 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

it's obviously popular so i can't see it getting banned.  hate to say it but there will always be these types of incidents at festivals.  happens the world over, it's not unique to TITP.

You don't hear of deaths happening at other festivals in Britain as much as you do here though,that alone is a worrying factor that seems to be happening every year.

41 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

This. 

I couldn't make up a days viewing of bands with the line ups the last few years,never mind a whole weekend. 

Bands at the top of their game should be headlining the main stage at a festival like this,not some khunt pressing buttons to play music,strobes and smoke. 

Some of these comments reek of complete and utter music snobbery. It would be an extremely  boring world if everyone enjoyed the same type of music. Calvin Harris may not be everyones cup of tea but neither is Biffy Clyro or The Who. Its called a musical festival and music comes in various forms. There are still  plenty of smaller festivals for those who enjoy a less 'popular' music scene. 

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Some of these comments reek of complete and utter music snobbery. It would be an extremely  boring world if everyone enjoyed the same type of music. Calvin Harris may not be everyones cup of tea but neither is Biffy Clyro or The Who. Its called a musical festival and music comes in various forms. There are still  plenty of smaller festivals for those who enjoy a less 'popular' music scene. 

Yeah. 

TITP was one of those years ago,but chasing money and exposing the fact that people will pay huge sums to see these "new cool manufactured" acts has changed all that. 

Glad we agree. 

Edited by dandydunn

47 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

NdexYeah. 

TITP was one of those years ago,but chasing money and exposing the fact that people will pay huge sums to see these "new cool manufactured" acts has changed all that. 

Glad we agree

? Must have missed that bit.

I do agree that many things are spoilt by their success and what starts off as small and intimate can lose its appeal , but for every person who enjoys the intimate festival there will be another who enjoys the magnitude of the current set up. And despite it seeming pricey if you break down the cost per band  you could potentially see over the 3 days it is actually quite reasonable . 

I was at the first TITP in Strathclyde Park when it was attended by 2 men and a dug . I keep threatening to go back one year for one last hurrah,  but i am 30yrs too late for Calvin Harris and my husbands back would never cope with me on his shoulders . 

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

? Must have missed that bit.

I do agree that many things are spoilt by their success and what starts off as small and intimate can lose its appeal , but for every person who enjoys the intimate festival there will be another who enjoys the magnitude of the current set up. And despite it seeming pricey if you break down the cost per band  you could potentially see over the 3 days it is actually quite reasonable . 

I was at the first TITP in Strathclyde Park when it was attended by 2 men and a dug . I keep threatening to go back one year for one last hurrah,  but i am 30yrs too late for Calvin Harris and my husbands back would never cope with me on his shoulders

:lol:

My step daughter wanted me to take her this year,but when she discovered she wouldn't be leaving my side and we were only going to go to see The Stone Roses,she quickly changed her mind. 

Least we got the best of it :ok:

Was at the first and third titp and loved them both. It did seem to be people going for the music and I don't think I seen any trouble at ether. Went back in 2012 and to me it seemed like a nedfest felt like the majority were there just to get off there face. One possible cause was the first few seemed to be mostly folk smoking weed so everyone was chilled out but in 2012 it was pills and powder where ever you looked. Not saying this is the be all and end all of it but would certainly be a factor

3 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

:lol:

My step daughter wanted me to take her this year,but when she discovered she wouldn't be leaving my side and we were only going to go to see The Stone Roses,she quickly changed her mind. 

Least we got the best of it :ok:

Haha at least you must still be cool enough to be seen out in public with her. No mean feat. 

You posted something on The Stones Roses thread recently about seeing them in Manchester on a Sunday night. I remember cos my daughter was down seeing them that night also and was all excited. I immediately thought 'awe naw, i hope she doesnt meet Dandydunn or my secret life may be exposed.  I am supposed to be knittng scarves and darning socks , no on the TAMB '. ?

The first year i went 1999, someone went mental with an axe and they cordoned off a huge area, in which my tent was inside. In 2003 we had to basically "coerce" 6 neds to move their tent (next our encampment). As two of them were brothers and one had set the others tent on fire at 3am, which backed right on to mine, then he tried to jump me cause i wasn't happy with burning tents around me.

I stopped going about 2007 when it got really bad for confrontations. I liked a smoke then, and trying to chill with coked up pissheads with their tops off reeking of BO wanting to fight was getting pretty hard, got skelped with a glass bottle of merrydown full of piss that someone flung int he air as well, hit me on the shoulder ,luckily not over the napper.

the first couple of years were amazing, plenty of space to walk about, really friendly atmosphere, chilled out campsite (Axe attack excepted) . Also bumping into folk you haven't seen in ages.

Music is subjective, i just followed folk around i know feck all about music.

The festival seems pretty feral these days.

Edited by phart

6 minutes ago, phart said:

The first year i went 1999, someone went mental with an axe and they cordoned off a huge area, in which my tent was inside. In 2003 we had to basically "coerce" 6 neds to move their tent (next our encampment). As two of them were brothers and one had set the others tent on fire at 3am, which backed right on to mine, then he tried to jump me cause i wasn't happy with burning tents around me.

I stopped going about 2007 when it got really bad for confrontations. I liked a smoke then, and trying to chill with coked up pissheads with their tops off reeking of BO wanting to fight was getting pretty hard, got skelped with a glass bottle of merrydown full of piss that someone flung int he air as well, hit me on the shoulder ,luckily not over the napper.

the first couple of years were amazing, plenty of space to walk about, really friendly atmosphere, chilled out campsite (Axe attack excepted) . Also bumping into folk you haven't seen in ages.

Music is subjective, i just followed folk around i know feck all about music.

The festival seems pretty feral these days.

??? You win !!

you never fail to amaze me Phart . 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Haha at least you must still be cool enough to be seen out in public with her. No mean feat. 

You posted something on The Stones Roses thread recently about seeing them in Manchester on a Sunday night. I remember cos my daughter was down seeing them that night also and was all excited. I immediately thought 'awe naw, i hope she doesnt meet Dandydunn or my secret life may be exposed.  I am supposed to be knittng scarves and darning socks , no on the TAMB '. ?

I would have no idea who I was talking to down there,your secrets safe...... :lol:

Went back in 07 and the one thing that always sticks out (when i ventured oot the Slam tent) was a young family walking past a lad off his coupon lying on the deck doing a sort of tortise impression and then a few yards further up the most vicious lassie fight ive ever seen. This was about 2 or 3pm on the Saturday.

Calvin Harris is the biggest charlatan around by the way. Dont envy the young'ins these days.

I see The Fun Lovin Criminals were playing

I assume that their set was "scooby snacks" on loop for 6 or 7 times ?

38 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I've only been once, in 1998, and I'm sure the Fun Loving Criminals played year too. And aye, it was just Scooby Snacks. 

It was a horrible festival then, and apparently that's when it was "nice".

Are you Prince William ?