Sacrifice 2018 World Cup qualification? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sacrifice 2018 World Cup qualification?

ceudmilefailte

No thanks - give it our best shot every time, every game. 

Northern Ireland finished their 2014 WC qualifiers by losing away to Azerbaijan and Luxembourg- then drawing away to Israel.

They didn't 'write off' Euro 2016 qualifying and won their group. 

We have an easier group than last time, 

1 hour ago, bonny78 said:

you must have been the one that is hammered.   We beat france twice.

That's what the record books say, but if you were at the games and sober you would know the facts............they destroyed us twice.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

3 hours ago, binobear said:

No thanks - give it our best shot every time, every game. 

Northern Ireland finished their 2014 WC qualifiers by losing away to Azerbaijan and Luxembourg- then drawing away to Israel.

They didn't 'write off' Euro 2016 qualifying and won their group. 

We have an easier group than last time, 

LOVE IT..

CMON

35 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's what the record books say, but if you were at the games and sober you would know the facts............they destroyed us twice.

teams like us only ever beat teams like france when they 'destroy us' and fail to score and we hit them on the break

welcome to football

29 minutes ago, Bino's said:

teams like us only ever beat teams like france when they 'destroy us' and fail to score and we hit them on the break

welcome to football

Defeatest mentality plus in 1999 we destroyed England twice. 

As for throwing the "form" players together teams take time to gel. Strachan has to a degree tried to do this, more by his omissions than his inclusions perhaps, but has failed due to the inability of the players as much as his own.

Maybe we need a new manager but keeping some of the current crop in squads just because they are "in form" is suicide if we ever want to compete again. I am no great fan of Strachan but I see no one else available and unlike players we can't just call one up.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

way to take a shine of 2 grea wins.

At Hampden we could have lost loads of goals but the away one I thought we handeled ourselves really well.

I'm happy for the record books to show Scotland beating France twice thanks very much.

Now stop trolling.

On 07/07/2016 at 9:17 PM, Malcolm said:

Aside from McGinn, I don't think any of the rest are better than what we have

You don't think Tierney is better than what we have ??? - he had an excellent season and i think will step up again during the coming season, he will benefit from Brendan Rogers being at Parkhead and in turn Scotland will benefit.

Scotland will also benefit with some of the other young guys at Parkhead as Rogers will them give them game time ahead of some of the second rate imports.  

On 7 July 2016 at 5:47 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Would it be a bad idea to start again and try and build a team for the future? I reckon it is time to admit that a lot of the current squad would not be good enough and even if we qualified and a much younger squad is required. The experience would set the players up for the easier 2020 Euros campaign and that would also build on our chances for 2022 world cup. I really don't think any of our older players are going to be part of a successful squad for 2020 on wards.. Maybe keep Scott Brown if he looks like his old self during Celtics Euro campaign and the few competitive games he will play in the SPFL and I guess a keeper is a bit of a problem for the time being, but it would be better to see a new guard fail than the old one. 2020 is 4 years away so some other players might come through.

If anyone thinks this a negative approach go buy a dictionary.

Oh and this new team might click quickly enough to hammer England twice.

One outfield player over 30, two over 26 and hope that the rest progress.

Arguably the strongest part of our squad. 

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Arguably the strongest part of our squad. 

Indeed and no desperate hurry there but I started this as a long term plan and would hope to have a new keeper by 2020 having said that I think you can chop and change keepers without it damaging a team too much anyway. The whole point of this thread was to suggest that as we don't have any great individual players we have to create a team that can stick together long enough to become a team rather than just a group of individuals.

25 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Indeed and no desperate hurry there but I started this as a long term plan and would hope to have a new keeper by 2020 having said that I think you can chop and change keepers without it damaging a team too much anyway. The whole point of this thread was to suggest that as we don't have any great individual players we have to create a team that can stick together long enough to become a team rather than just a group of individuals.

You said a keeper is a bit of a problem,for the time being. 

It's clearly not,you're just waffling nonsense. 

• 2 years later...

Were do we go from here, our last competitive squad, who should "retire" this time?

D Fletcher (West Brom

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: Gordon (Celtic), Marshall (Hull City), McGregor (Cardiff City, on loan from Hull City)

Defenders: Berra (Ipswich Town), Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers), Hanley (Newcastle United), R Martin (Norwich City), Robertson (Hull City), Tierney (Celtic), Wallace (Rangers)

Midfielders: Anya (Derby County), Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday), Brown (Celtic), Armstrong (Celtic), Burke (Leipzig), ), D Fletcher (West Brom Forrest (Celtic), Cairney (Fulham), Fraser (Bournemouth), McArthur (Crystal Palace), McGinn (Hibernian), Morrison (West Brom), Phillips (West Brom), Ritchie (Newcastle United), Snodgrass (West Ham United)

Forwards: S Fletcher (Sheffield Wednesday), Griffiths (Celtic), Naismith (Norwich City), C Martin (Fulham, on loan from Derby County), Rhodes (Sheffield Wednesday, on loan from Middlesbrough)

Have I copied the wrong Squad, that one's shocking.

Based on the players who played at least one minute in the last campaign:

• GK: Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Hull) 
  • FB: Callum Paterson (Cardiff), Andrew Robertson (Liverpool), Kieran Tierney (Celtic), Lee Wallace (Rangers)
  • CB: Christophe Berra (Hearts), Grant Hanley (Norwich), Russell Martin (Norwich), Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn)
  • CM: Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), Barry Bannan (Sheff Wed), Scott Brown (Celtic), Darren Fletcher (Stoke), James McArthur (Crystal Palace), John McGinn (Hibernian), James Morrison (West Brom)
  • WM: Ikechi Anya (Derby), Oliver Burke (West Brom), Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth), James Forrest (Celtic), Matt Phillips (West Brom), Matt Ritchie (Newcastle), Robert Snodgrass (West Ham)
  • ST: Steven Fletcher (Sheff Wed), Leigh Griffiths (Celtic), Chris Martin (Derby)Steven Naismith (Hearts)
  • Player - Player who should retire (+ Brown who has retired)
  • Player - Player who should be fringe players at best

39 minutes ago, The Laud said:

Get rid of Mcliesh before its too late

I didn't want him and still don't want, but I'll support the team and do wish him and the side well. 

If we end up bottom - no disrespect to Albania or Israel, both are about our level probably - of the group, we really should get shot of him an someone in for the Euro qualifying. 

If we win the group, its a fantastic insurance policy for the Playoffs for Euro 2020 and he'll quite rightly stay on. 

Somehow fear we'll end up second with a mediocre campaign, and then we'll end up doing our usual and finish 3rd or 4th in the Euro qualifiers and miss out completely. 

Hopefully my negativity is wrong, and he does a grand job. Just going with my gut feelings. 

2 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

I didn't want him and still don't want, but I'll support the team and do wish him and the side well. 

If we end up bottom - no disrespect to Albania or Israel, both are about our level probably - of the group, we really should get shot of him an someone in for the Euro qualifying. 

If we win the group, its a fantastic insurance policy for the Playoffs for Euro 2020 and he'll quite rightly stay on. 

Somehow fear we'll end up second with a mediocre campaign, and then we'll end up doing our usual and finish 3rd or 4th in the Euro qualifiers and miss out completely. 

Hopefully my negativity is wrong, and he does a grand job. Just going with my gut feelings. 

Its been a bit of a damp squib the start of McLeishs second era its got the feeling that it hasnt really got going. 

I must admit i think the South American trip did him or the players no favours and i think our upcoming friendly against Belgium and Portugal aren't the wisest decisions. I agree its good to play better competition but not while were trying out formations, tactics and players i would have thought it better to do this against teams were we can get some wins which breeds confidence and momentum

Wasnt my first choice McLeish and im not 100% sold on him. 

Out of interest does anyone think were further ahead and in better shape for the future now since Strachen left     

14 minutes ago, borojock said:

Its been a bit of a damp squib the start of McLeishs second era its got the feeling that it hasnt really got going. 

I must admit i think the South American trip did him or the players no favours and i think our upcoming friendly against Belgium and Portugal aren't the wisest decisions. I agree its good to play better competition but not while were trying out formations, tactics and players i would have thought it better to do this against teams were we can get some wins which breeds confidence and momentum

Wasnt my first choice McLeish and im not 100% sold on him. 

Out of interest does anyone think were further ahead and in better shape for the future now since Strachen left     

Only in as much as it’s clear many of his favoured players have reached the end of the road. I don’t think we’ll see Fletcher, Morrison, Bannan, Rhodes or Russell Martin again. They weren’t bad players but I do think we’ve now got athletic players who can get about the pitch far more easily. This will allow us to press, not sit so deep and have decent possession. We’ll also be more dangerous going forward.

McLeish has had very little opportunity to bed in his preferred players or try out systems. That said, we’ll hump Israel and Albania.